IGNORED

16K 3D engine

xxl

3 hours ago, ilmenit said:

The Doom engine looks amazing! I only hope to see an option of better aspect ratio (without the vertical stretch to full screen height).

I'm also curious about the strafe support - would be great to have it with keyboard controls, because Doom without strafing is hard to play (avoiding Imp missiles). Great job!

@ilmenit  I agree with your comments re the aspect ratio and IMHO having the main playfield half or even 2/3rds of the upper screen with the lower dedicated to the stats, health, weapon selected and perhaps a weapon animation PMG would be great.

Globe's amazing 128k 3D raycasting engine (and to a great degree his Final Assault game), covers all the required straffing and controls and works amazingly well with the SNACK SNES controller from Irgendwer. What's more his 128k engine has a quick turn and run mode where the FPS rate maintained is fantastic. Therefore Globe has already shown the controls side of things is something that can work very well with a 3D engine on the A8. :)

I am sure that swiety has this covered re the stats and displays given his work on the VicDoom in this thread, but here is a mockup combining a screenshot of swiety's new Doom engine merged with elements of VicDoom with Globes 128k 3D raycasting engine just to illustrate my point, (where excuse the crudeness of the quick hash up as images quickly taken from various sources including YouTube screenshots as you can see):

THIS IS A MOCKUP:;)

image.thumb.png.c9654820e7eed0957ebf48bfc9983690.png

I course I know with the 16 luminance graphics mode and resolution the Atari is using to create the main red themed playfield it isn't as simple as resizing it but you get the idea. In doing so the upper main playfield would presumably run faster(?)

I am not a coder so obviously not wishing to tell anyone how it's done. Just curious given we have Globe's 128K engine showing amazing potential and speed, and swiety's Vicdoom and now his new DOOM engine. Something between the three as illustrated above would look amazing.

So exciting to see Swiety's, (VicDoom and new DOOM),  Globe's, (128k engine and Final Assault), and also XXL's, (16k engine),  Heaven's (Vector and Wolf3D demo), and NRV's astounding Project M Wolf3D clone work on these amazing 3D engines for our A8s  - amazing that has been achieved to date! Full respect and gratitude to all.:)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@ilmenit  I agree with your comments re the aspect ratio and IMHO having the main playfield half or even 2/3rds of the upper screen with the lower dedicated to the stats, health, weapon selected and perhaps a weapon animation PMG would be great.

Globe's amazing 128k 3D raycasting engine (and to a great degree his Final Assault game), covers all the required straffing and controls and works amazingly well with the SNACK SNES controller from Irgendwer. What's more his 128k engine has a quick turn and run mode where the FPS rate maintained is fantastic. Therefore Globe has already shown the controls side of things is something that can work very well with a 3D engine on the A8. :)

I am sure that swiety has this covered re the stats and displays given his work on the VicDoom in this thread, but here is a mockup combining a screenshot of swiety's new Doom engine merged with elements of VicDoom with Globes 128k 3D raycasting engine just to illustrate my point, (where excuse the crudeness of the quick hash up as images quickly taken from various sources including YouTube screenshots as you can see):

THIS IS A MOCKUP:;)

image.thumb.png.c9654820e7eed0957ebf48bfc9983690.png

I course I know with the 16 luminance graphics mode and resolution the Atari is using to create the main red themed playfield it isn't as simple as resizing it but you get the idea. In doing so the upper main playfield would presumably run faster(?)

I am not a coder so obviously not wishing to tell anyone how it's done. Just curious given we have Globe's 128K engine showing amazing potential and speed, and swiety's Vicdoom and now his new DOOM engine. Something between the three as illustrated above would look amazing.

So exciting to see Swiety's, (VicDoom and new DOOM),  Globe's, (128k engine and Final Assault), and also XXL's, (16k engine),  Heaven's (Vector and Wolf3D demo), and NRV's astounding Project M Wolf3D clone work on these amazing 3D engines for our A8s  - amazing that has been achieved to date! Full respect and gratitude to all.:)

just for the records...

Fox/x0F did the Duke Nukem Portal Engine (Vector & Numen Demo) with all toolset (Java converter for the Mapster-PC-Editor of Duke Nukem) and the Raycaster Wolf was coded initially by Tamas Bene of HARD but unreleased. Me adapted it to multitextured walls and expanded it/tweaked and ported.

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2022 at 7:21 PM, solo/ng said:

Thanks :] Most parts (effects) works on 64kb but we just loaded all to ~600kb banked data to have easier life linking it together;)

Yes there going to be playable version soon from Swiety, one for 130XE (3 banks) one for 64kb xl/xe. He already has it and showed to people on the party but he wants to make it even faster (hehe) and release playable version .xex soon. 

@solo/ng Just thought I'd see if you had any updates on the 128k and 64K Doom engines progress from Swiety? Would be amazing to if Swiety managed to optimise it further :) No worries if not. Just enquiring. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, Beeblebrox said:

@solo/ng Just thought I'd see if you had any updates on the 128k and 64K Doom engines progress from Swiety? Would be amazing to if Swiety managed to optimise it further :) No worries if not. Just enquiring. 

Swiety is working with us on something different (~2 months) - after that there should be a move on the doom engine :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/8/2022 at 8:44 PM, solo/ng said:

Swiety is working with us on something different (~2 months) - after that there should be a move on the doom engine :)

@solo/ng How ya doin?

For a bit of fun as well as in anticipation of the (possible) release of beta versions of the A8 DOOM 64k and 128k engines in 2023, (no pressure of course on Swiety;)), and being a Rastaconverter fanatic - I had a go at my own conversion of the iconic DOOM title image. (I am still running the conversion too :) )

75 unique colours

(image grab from Altirra with pal high artifacting enabled)

image.thumb.png.55ddea9e19cae30c6fce6d977acb567f.png

Beeblebrox_DOOMArtSm1_25_Fixed_centered.xex

I'll post the final up on the Rastaconverter thread sometime in the next day or so.

• Like 5