IGNORED

Are these NES controllers too worn out?

I brought out my old NES after about 25 years in a box and immediately remembered why I parked it. The controller's D-Pads barely work. I disassembled them and found that the black pads on the PCB are almost completely worn away and its worn down through the top layer of the PCD in some places. Is this fixable? If so, how? Just to note, the little silicone pads that are between the plastic buttons and the PCB are near mint somehow. No tearing or cracks.

IMG_6971.JPG

Edited by Lando242

• 2 weeks later...

The PCBs may still be functional, you'll need to clean them and see. Likewise, you'll want to clean the rubber pad contacts too. You can take a sheet of paper, drag the black side of the contact down against it (you'll see black streaks on the paper). It sort of wipes them clean and makes them fresh again. Do that along with cleaning the PCB and you may find they are still functional. If not, you'll need to get new controllers (fortunately standard official pads are still pretty affordable).

I believe that electrical conductive glue is used on the PCB to bridge the connection when you push the button/D-pad. I think I had some nice ASCII SNES controllers that had a similar problem. The directional pad glue was so worn out that it didn’t close the circuit when pressed

I believe it is possible to by electrically conductive glue (think it has graphite in it), but I have never tried to actually fix a controller with that problem.

I cleaned up the controllers and they are better but still not good. Sometimes the D-pad simply fails to respond to presses. Less often now, but it still happens. It is a shame no one makes bog standard replacement PCBs (I don't want to spend $20 to turn it into an 8bitdo BT controller).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...