IGNORED

Jumping At Shadows - WIP Platform Game from Reboot-Games

CyranoJ

34 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

We don't get games out fast.

Rebooteroids - 7 years in development / testing

Last Strike - 4 years in development / testing

Gravitic Mines - 2.5 years in development / testing

When they're done, they're still not done - thats when months of testing begins.

7 years on Rebooteroids...wow. I did not know that. Just seemed to me that every time I get on Atari Age there's a new Jag game in development from your team. I mean I've got Gravitic Mines, I see you're pretty far along on Jumping at Shadows, I don't have Last Strike yet but I'll have to wait for that one, property taxes are due ugh! Just keep on, keepin' on!! Thanks!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, agradeneu said:

And JAS hopefully 1,5 years. ;-)

Our team is becoming a well oiled machine.

Yeah I agree, glad that the Jaguar get so many cool games. To all the people out there pushing 8-bit hardware, you will never get a game that looks like any of the latest homebrew for the Jaguar!

молодцы ребята, вы все прекрасные!

?‍♂️?‍♀️

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

We don't get games out fast.

Rebooteroids - 7 years in development / testing

Last Strike - 4 years in development / testing

Gravitic Mines - 2.5 years in development / testing

At the current pace, after another game or two, the carts will be in the AtariAge store before completion of concept. Looking forward to it!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Editorb said:

At the current pace, after another game or two, the carts will be in the AtariAge store before completion of concept. Looking forward to it!

I don't think time is important, inspiration comes in waves. Sometimes there is no inspiration for a long time, while at other times inspiration comes all at once.

Of course, long time perfection of an inspired idea will make it better, but sometimes it's just best to let it be as it was at the first moment (before you use your logical thinking to trash it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phoboz said:

I don't think time is important, inspiration comes in waves. Sometimes there is no inspiration for a long time, while at other times inspiration comes all at once.

Of course, long time perfection of an inspired idea will make it better, but sometimes it's just best to let it be as it was at the first moment (before you use your logical thinking to trash it)

Thats all fine and dandy with something for free, but put a price tag on it and things change dramatically.  Long time, hard work making it the best it can be and then thorough testing is a must.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, phoboz said:

Yeah I agree, glad that the Jaguar get so many cool games. To all the people out there pushing 8-bit hardware, you will never get a game that looks like any of the latest homebrew for the Jaguar!

молодцы ребята, вы все прекрасные!

?‍♂️?‍♀️

They don't have to look as good if they nail the gameplay and they're more fun - saying that, some of them look amazing and I love seeing what those guys come up with. 

All the devs on the older systems rock - those guys inpsire the hell out of me!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Thats all fine and dandy with something for free, but put a price tag on it and things change dramatically.  Long time, hard work making it the best it can be and then thorough testing is a must.

What mean I mean is a little bit like the first half of the Led Zeppelin records (which are timeless classics), there must have been a great deal of improvisation going on there? Because the songs tends to sound a little bit different when they played them live. Which added another dimension to it at each gig. They probably had a limited ammount of time in the studio, and I don't think they had all the material set in stone before they started recording. However, the recordings became a kind of reference point to which they could give variations at each live performance.

Edited by phoboz

20 hours ago, phoboz said:

I think editorb was just joking - i.e., given the trend of decreasing time to release by the team if that trend continues soon the games will be out before the team has even thought of them (and that being a compliment to the team's increasing efficiency, not trashing time taken... at least that's how I read the comment)

• Thanks 1

Indeed, I was having one of my Fun with Meth Math moments, kinda like if a baseballer hits two dingers in first game of season, putting him on pace for 324.

As a musician/recording "artist" of sorts, I agree with both viewpoints. Many a potentially great concept has been ruined by excess tweaking, but it should still be honed as much as possible, while retaining its essence, before being exposed for public consumption.

1 hour ago, Editorb said:

Indeed, I was having one of my Fun with Meth Math moments, kinda like if a baseballer hits two dingers in first game of season, putting him on pace for 324.

As a musician/recording "artist" of sorts, I agree with both viewpoints. Many a potentially great concept has been ruined by excess tweaking, but it should still be honed as much as possible, while retaining its essence, before being exposed for public consumption.

Agreed, bugfixing does not compromise a creative concept, far from it. 

There are two things: creativity AND proper execution. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2022 at 9:22 AM, phoboz said:

What mean I mean is a little bit like the first half of the Led Zeppelin records (which are timeless classics), there must have been a great deal of improvisation going on there? Because the songs tends to sound a little bit different when they played them live. Which added another dimension to it at each gig. They probably had a limited ammount of time in the studio, and I don't think they had all the material set in stone before they started recording. However, the recordings became a kind of reference point to which they could give variations at each live performance.

Jimmy Page was known to be an absolute perfectionist in the studio. For a great sounding record, a lot of work and preparation are necessary, usually a couple of vocal or guitar takes are not enough.

And then comes the mixing process etc.  Ergo: it takes a lot of work and refinement to create a natural and organic sound that often comes across as "live sound" and improvised.

As each hour and day in the studio costs money, poorly prepared musicians are a nightmare as well as sloppy performances make a record sound bad, not good.

Live performances are a very different beast.  

However, it is known Jimi Hendrix prepared himself meticulously for any jam sessions. So it may sound all improvised and great, because he invested a lot of effort.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

As each hour and day in the studio costs money, poorly prepared musicians are a nightmare as well as sloppy performances make a record sound bad, not good

There is a differences between being ill prepared, and being able to improvise. Kurt Cobain's guitar technique was often labelled as sloppy by "besserwissers",  but some think it was one of the elements that gave Nirvana it's unique sound.

11 minutes ago, phoboz said:

There is a differences between being ill prepared, and being able to improvise. Kurt Cobain's guitar technique was often labelled as sloppy by "besserwissers",  but some think it was one of the elements that gave Nirvana it's unique sound.

He did like 20 tracks for the rhythm guitars on Nevermind. That is why it sounded so huge.

He usually sounds sloppy live, but in the studio it was Butch Vig, the producer, who fully realized the guitars sounding huge for a record.

Like I said, there is a fundamental difference between production for a record and  live performances. 

Edited by agradeneu

10 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

He did like 20 tracks for the rhythm guitars on Nevermind. That is why it sounded so huge.

Yeah that's a good technique (often done to my singing in the studio, because I really don't sing entirely in key). The fun thing is that it sounds fater on singers that sing less accurate. 

• 2 months later...

The AtariAge stand at PRGE will have a WIP 5 level playable demo of "Jumping at Shadows" for people to check out.

We will most likely also release this demo online as well during the show for anyone who can't attend in person.

Check out our latest video:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gummy Bear said:

This is looking awesome! 

I love the touch of having the little glow effect around the main character, to keep him visible without having to make him brighter and spoil his aesthetic. 

Thanks, the aura changes colours depending on his state :D

• Like 2