IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Homebrew Games Released/Completed/WIP in 2022

ZeroPage Homebrew

5 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Pretty much. They saw homebrew developers as beneath them, and their attitude ranged from condescending at best to outright hostile.

Sorry just came in on this conversation. It was also before my time. Wow didn't think anyone would care if they were called homebrew or not just as long as the game was finished and made into a sellable product. Gamers get the game and creators get paid, I'd be happy being on either side of it. They really "twitched" about someone calling it a homebrew or not? I liked Battlesphere and was glad to get it. It's a game you created, you got it to market and people bought it. You gonna be a [insert expletive here] to others in the community, I'll think twice before I buy your next game, if there is a next game, just because of your attitude. I quit buying a few items because of creators attitude toward other creators or consumers. Kind of glad and sad I saw this. Loved the game but now...well maybe it's time to look at eBay. Hope I don't open any old wounds. My apologies if it did. 

On 3/10/2022 at 1:29 PM, agradeneu said:

If I remember correctly, one of them diffamed/attacked devs who did emulators and free libraries, notably people of Jagware. 

Hem, what was my signature in these trouble time and why ???

Of yes, something like this

Nobody really cares if you built your car from scratch or if you bought it.

Well, my opinion was (and still is) it is the same for making a game, using SebRMV librairies like I used to in the past, or coding a game from scratch is of course not the area of complexity, but in the end, what is really important for end user is how good the game is or not.

But I guess I already spent too much time and energy about this, so what is lying under the carpet should stay under the carpet.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2022 at 6:47 AM, phoboz said:

Imagine how great it would have been if the teams behind Deathwatch, Conan... have been as dedicated as them?

I'm not sure what you mean about the teams lacking dedication. 

With Conan :

Carlo Perconti: What happened is that Sony broke off the Nintendo distribution in Europe, refusing to take the products. Without buyers and incapable of publishing them by ourselves, we had to close down Arcade Zone and interrupt undergoing developments, with profound regret. Other companies which already weighed in the balance survived and moved on to the Playstation. We were at the wrong time at the wrong transition, the one which saw Nintendo's European market become Sony's European market. This said, we bounced back well with our famous Burning Road, but it was to come much later (Editor's note: after setting up another game company, this time by the name of Toka).

Arcade Zone were forced to close as a company and they hadn't even signed a license for Conan... 

http://www.1up-games.com/snes/legend/interview-english.html

With Deathwatch:

DDI decided to drop the title when Atari kept stalling on feedback and payments for milestones. Atari even at one stage wanted DDI to turn the game into a fully 3D title, but DDI refused after the lack of engagement and confidence with Atari over the course of its development. Focus switched to projects that paid, and on time.

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2020/10/deathwatch/

Both were commercially developed titles and if you've no money coming in, why would any team continue development? 

Especially when it was clear the Jaguar was becoming a commercial failure at retail. 

They'd never of recovered the development costs for a start. 

Edited by Lostdragon

17 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

I'm not sure what you mean about the teams lacking dedication

As I understood it, the Battlesphere team continued to develop the game without funding from Atari, even if this was a commercial project before.

Of course it's not possible to expect other commercial projects to continue without funding, and to release the game on a console pulled off the market. This is what makes the Battlesphere project a unique in my opinion, e.g. that it started as a commercial project, but ended up beeing released as a homebrew (regardless of what the authors think about the homebrew label)

If that is not dedication, I don't know how to define it?

I am not saying that the other teams lacked dedication, I only speculate how great it would have been if they had the same level of dedication as the Battlesphere team.

Edited by phoboz

38 minutes ago, phoboz said:

As I understood it, the Battlesphere team continued to develop the game without funding from Atari, even if this was a commercial project before.

Of course it's not possible to expect other commercial projects to continue without funding, and to release the game on a console pulled off the market. This is what makes the Battlesphere project a unique in my opinion, e.g. that it started as a commercial project, but ended up beeing released as a homebrew (regardless of what the authors think about the homebrew label)

If that is not dedication, I don't know how to define it?

I am not saying that the other teams lacked dedication, I only speculate how great it would have been if they had the same level of dedication as the Battlesphere team.

My understanding is extremely limited, but I am given to believe Battlesphere started life after an individual had signed up as a Jaguar developer, but didn't have the funding to start work on any projects. 

Another individual posted a message to GEnie, looking for programmers to write a jaguar game and as a result, a team was created and work began on the game... 

What happened after that is perhaps best left to history, but the team distanced itself from the individual in question, the game finally made it out. 

Plans for a sequel were never realised and attempts to bring the game to PlayStation, PC and NUON were unsuccessful, as pitches shot down, likes of NUON unwilling to put forward funding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Added to WIP:

Updated WIP:

• Like 2

Added to WIP:

Updated WIP:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Hope you are all doing swell,

I'm going to throw my name in the hat here for the 2022 sci-fi monster game JagZombies ZERO which is currently a W.I.P. aimed at a September release date. The game is being created by myself (Wave 1 Games) with the help of Protofactor Inc. I will have much more info and its very own thread here in the next couple of weeks.

Credit goes to Kazdan Azahn for the creation of the above title screen. 

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1