IGNORED

WIP sections suggestions

Prizrak

The WIP section of the plus store has been growing and cluttered to a point that something needs to be done in terms of organization. We have WIP games from 2020 and 2021 and now are accumulating them for this year. I've discussed a little with @al_nafuur and he gave me a few suggestions but thought I should ask what the users think.

Should games that have not been updated for a period of time be put in a retired section, do we need to organize the section by year and then by alphabet? I'm looking for a way to make navigation easier for PlusCart users and looking to see what you folks think. After some ideas maybe we take a poll?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

How about by author?

Would be really nice to have, but it would be a lot of work to maintain.

A folder structure like this would be very handy for the users, but it would be a lot of work to maintain. This way we would store every ROM three times, but it wouldn't be a big issue there is enough storage for this.

Spoiler

By Alphabet
    0-G
    H-Q
    R-Z

By Author
    Alberto
    Andrew Davie
    Bruce-Robert Pocock
    Dave Christianson
    David Marli
    donnerkuh
    Edward Smith
    Glenn Main
    Jon Eugenio
    Kevin Kelley
    Mike Losh
    quohog
    Ricardo Pim
    Rodney Siddall
    Seth Marinello
    Thomas Fenner
    Thomas Jentzsch
    VHZC
    ZippyRedPlumber

By Year

Other
    Experimental
    Quadtari Games
    Unsupported
    Retired (or Abandoned?)

5 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

I personally think we should go by year and then have it expanded alphabetically.

Are there enough games per year, so that it is worth splitting them again alphabetically?

Another question is: "By Year" does that mean the year of the first "release" or the year of the last update? or do you want to keep the older versions too?  If we want to keep the older versions too every version or only the last update of that year?

13 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

By publisher

By genre

- shoot 'em up

- puzzle games

- adventure

- classic

- user rating

- high score club

- demos

would be handy for the users too.

If we would not use a file sharing tool with folders, but a database based "tag cloud" then users could filter and search for anything. However, uploading to a private folder and sharing would not be as easy to implement.

nextcloud offers a "Collaborative tags" feature and there a apps for "Custom Properties". I had thought of using something like this before, but it would be a lot of work to tag everything we have already and in any case, it would mean a complete rewrite of the API too.