IGNORED

Very low Astrocade serial number on eBay

1 hour ago, holygrailvideogames.com said:

I know that this isn't the eBay forum but someone on here might want to get this Astrocade.  It is a very low serial number.  The seller claims it is tested.  Price isn't bad if it does work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393920639727?hash=item5bb77ff2ef:g:IbQAAOSw1LliAvf~

I can't see any serial # in that photo on my phone, what number is it?  It's too bad it doesn't have the original cover.

I am not sure that console belongs in that box.  Low serial # Bally should be in a Bally box, shouldn't it?  Who knows the box version order?  I am not sure that console belongs in that box.  Low serial # Bally should be in a Bally box, shouldn't it?  Who knows the box version order?  :)

1 hour ago, KylJoy said:

I am not sure that console belongs in that box.  Low serial # Bally should be in a Bally box, shouldn't it?  Who knows the box version order?  :)

Sure, that's the right box, as it is an Astrocade unit.  Early Astrocade consoles often used mismatched plastic dust covers, as Astrovision, Inc. was using up old stock from Bally.

That's is a low serial number, and also a rare console label.  Other label examples are here:

http://glankonian.com/lance/Unit%20Bottom%20Labels.html

This discussion group thread from 2020 called "Unusual Astrocade Serial Number Label; was: Astrocade labels" has more information about this label subject:

https://groups.io/g/ballyalley/topic/unusual_astrocade_serial/76088313

I'm glad that Lance keeps track of these serial number labels on his website.

Adam

Thing is Adam I've never seen an Astrocade branded console without the Astrocade cartridge bay cover (nor would I want one). 

Other labeled "Astrovision"  labeled machines we've seen with all sorts of tops (mostly Computer System) but never an Astrocade.

My guess is it was swapped, but there's always a first time!

The 4 Astrocade branded consoles I own all have Astrocade matching top / bottom labels.

23 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

I've never seen an Astrocade branded console without the Astrocade cartridge bay cover (nor would I want one).

I'm a bit confused here, Michael.  I must be a bit confused, as I don't know what you mean by "Astrocade cartridge bay cover."  I spent a bit of time looking through some pictures and I can't seem to find one.  Do you mean the place where it says "Insert Cassette" says something like "Astrocade?"

I'm sure I must be misunderstanding something here.  Maybe you can point me to a picture or supply one to this thread.

Adam

Sorry, I call the plexi that covers the cartridge storage area the "cartridge bay cover."  Never knew what else to call it.  The one that in this case should have an "Astrocade" label on it and not "Bally Computer System" label.

Edited by 128Kgames

15 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Sorry, I call the plexi that covers the cartridge storage area the "cartridge bay cover."  Never knew what else to call it.  The one that in this case should have an "Astrocade" label on it and not "Bally Computer System" label.

Ah, the "cartridge bay cover" is called, I think, the dust cover.  Your name does make more sense.  Bally also called cartridges "Videocades," so there room for many name variations with this system.

I believe that some people on the Astrocade discussion group have mentioned that when they got their Astrocade console brand-new in 1981/1982 that the dust cover was one from Bally, such as one of these examples:

http://glankonian.com/lance/Unit Labels.html

My favorite label is the "Bally Computer System" that has the picture of the smiling man and the person with something like a light bulb in their head.  It was Richard Degler who pointed out that this symbol represents the Bally slogan "Fun & Brains."

Lance Squire has talked about this a few times.  I'd ask him, but I know that he has some other priorities right now.

Adam