IGNORED

Slap Fight MD is getting a sequel, Slap Fight 3671

Steven Pendleton

Today I became aware that Slap Fight MD's creator, Ichikawa Mikito, is working on a sequel to his masterpiece shooter from 29 years ago. Here's the article:

https://note.com/beep21/n/ncd94d6b47320

So basically the important half of the article is behind a paywall, but what is known so far is that this is being worked on by the same guy who made Slap Fight MD, that he's been working on this for at least several years, 8 composers including Koshiro Yuzo, who did the incredible music for Slap Fight MD's Special mode, are involved, and that it's probably going to be crowdfunded. I don't know what system it's on, so I figured I'd put it here since I guess people who read this section might at least know that Slap Fight MD exists (I don't think many people do).

My love of Slap Fight MD is nowhere close to being a secret, and I consider it to be the single best shooter on the system, so you can imagine how excited I am about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know there was a port of Slap Fight for the Genesis!  One year at college I was taking summer courses and basically mastered the arcade game (along with Rally Bike) which in the US was called Alcon.  A sequel would be awesome, I'll have to look into this.

• Like 1

Just now, Tempest said:

I didn't know there was a port of Slap Fight for the Genesis!  One year at college I was taking summer courses and basically mastered the arcade game (along with Rally Bike) which in the US was called Alcon.  A sequel would be awesome, I'll have to look into this.

Slap Fight MD is absolutely AMAZING. Definitely play it somehow! It has both a port of the original Slap Fight with both the original and a new arranged soundtrack and then a completely new game called Slap Fight MD, which you can get to in the options menu by changing it to Special mode. Koshiro music, totally new stages, more strategy thanks to the awesome Typhoon Bomber attack... yeah, it's amazing and not to be missed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Slap Fight MD is absolutely AMAZING. Definitely play it somehow! It has both a port of the original Slap Fight with both the original and a new arranged soundtrack and then a completely new game called Slap Fight MD, which you can get to in the options menu by changing it to Special mode. Koshiro music, totally new stages, more strategy thanks to the awesome Typhoon Bomber attack... yeah, it's amazing and not to be missed.

Does it work on a US Genesis or is it a PAL only thing?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Does it work on a US Genesis or is it a PAL only thing?

It was only ever released in Japan and Korea (and in very small quantities, as they only made like 5000 of them, which is probably why not many people know about it), but I don't think it's region-locked. I'll check with the Mega Sg, as I can set that to US mode to see what it does with the game.

Yep, no region lock. Go forth and blow up all of the things! For great justice!

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm regularly in touch with Ichikawa Mikito through Steam but he didn't tell me about it (yet)! Great news!

Yeah, I've heard he's a really cool dude, and Slap Fight MD is probably one of the greatest passion project games ever created. If there's anyone who I would want to make a new sequel to Slap Fight, it's him. Best news of the year so far, I think!

This game is now the game that I am currently looking forward to more than any other new game. I am also very excited about the rest of the Toaplan Shooting Garage releases, one of which will include Slap Fight and probably Slap Fight MD and hopefully the obscure Slap Fight Tiger, which lets you play as the Kyuukyoku Tiger helicopter in Slap Fight, but as far as new releases are concerned, this is #1 right now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I paid for the article. Kickstarter is beginning very soon, in about 1 week. Copied and pasted from what I wrote over on the shmups forum:

Okay, it's going to be Steam-exclusive at first. No mentions of other platforms, but it will at least be on Steam.

2 game modes, one of which is going to be a "roguelike shooter" with randomly/procedurally generated enemies.

Planned composers = Koshiro Yuzo, Ozawa Junko, Yuge Masahiro, Uemura Tatsuya. More may be added based on Kickstarter funding.

Crowdfunding will be on Kickstarter at the end of February, so yeah, we can expect this to show up very soon. Target goal is not fixed as of the article (which was like a month ago now), but he is considering $1,000,000 USD.

Stretch goals will be included, looks like adding more composers is one of them. The interviewer asked Ichikawa about adding Slap Fight MD as a stretch goal, which Ichikawa had never considered before, but he seems to like the idea, so it might happen.

There will be crowdfunding tiers with limited edition versions of the game, tiers with goods (physical, I assume), and something about a tier that gives you the privilege to directly affect the game's development... not sure what that means, as he doesn't go into specifics, but there you have it. He specifically said ゲーム開発に直接関われる権などが用意される場合もある, so I'm assuming that backers might have some ability to influence the game in some way, although I have no idea how since it doesn't say anything else about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youxia said:

For...Slap Fight? I think he needs a reality check. Or maybe I'm out of touch with current KS scene...admittedly haven't been following it for quite some time now. But still...wasn't Bloodstained, for example, a 500K?

Specifically, he says 目標金額はまだ調整中です。100万ドルあたり(※約1.1億円)で考えているんですが、他のゲームタイトルはこれより控えめなものも多いので、ちょっと検討中ですね。作曲者は4人まで確定で、以降はストレッチゴールにしようと思っています。

If you throw this in Google Translate, you won't get something as accurate as what I can do, but yeah, he's considering it, and he knows that this is a lot compared to a lot of other games. Maybe it will be more and maybe (hopefully) it will be less. We'll have to wait for the Kickstarter to see what it is. The article is about a month old now and the funding is supposed to start around the end of February, maybe a little before or after, so we'll see soon enough.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

Had to look up the original, and that is not what I expected a slap fight to look like. 

Play it. It's so good. You have 2 games on 1 cartridge and both Slap Fight and Slap Fight MD are short games, only about 10~15 minutes long each, and quite easy for shooters, but they loop infinitely and have a huge amount of secrets to find, even varying between loops, a nice selection of weapons to blow stuff up with, and the Special mode (the actual Slap Fight MD) has even more fun tactical options with the awesome Typhoon Bomber and one of the absolute best soundtracks on the system, so it's infinitely replayable and extremely highly recommended to all human beings, regardless of their shooting skill level.

• Thanks 2