IGNORED

80s pic

rbairos

40 minutes ago, rietveld said:

I like that its the expansion module 3 Adam

Did you get the Adam and Colecovision together as a computer or did you have a Colecovision already? 

We started off with the Atari 2600 for a couple weeks, before my brother realized we could trade it in for a Colecovision for another $20.
It was probably the next year or so we got the Adam.
Didn't even know it came in any other format than an expansion model for years.

Edited by rbairos

32 minutes ago, rbairos said:

We started off with the Atari 2600 for a couple weeks, before my brother realized we could trade it in for a Colecovision for another $20.
It was probably the next year or so we got the Adam.
Didn't even know it came in any other format than an expansion model for years.

That's what i thought.. You could have had a Vic or TI or Tandy but it seems that since you had the colecovision already that the Adam was the logical choice for a first computer.  I think making an expansion module Adam was a good marketing ploy since it reached people who were already a coleco user. 

• Like 1

Neat picture.  The real hero here is that table holding everything up...look at that Colecovision hanging half off the back of it.  I've often wondered why Coleco chose to mount the Adam to the front of the Colecovision, rather than having it sit underneath with a short jumper pcb to connect them together.  It would have freed up a lot of space.  I mean, how many people had a desk / table that deep?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, else said:

Neat picture.  The real hero here is that table holding everything up...look at that Colecovision hanging half off the back of it.  I've often wondered why Coleco chose to mount the Adam to the front of the Colecovision, rather than having it sit underneath with a short jumper pcb to connect them together.  It would have freed up a lot of space.  I mean, how many people had a desk / table that deep?

In the end, I recall my dad building a huge custom made desk that housed everything nicely.  It was a behemoth though.

My biggest regret over those years, was all the datapack tapes that died randomly.
So in the end, best bet would have been to insert and remove them once the machine was already powered on (contrary to the warning label instructions) ?
Would have saved my dad and I several trips to the neighbouring town.

tangent: my profile avataar is actually a SmartBasic lo-res program written around that time, captured on VCR Beta tape, then 20 years later transferred to DVD and finally uploaded to youtube.

Edited by rbairos