IGNORED

FujiNet firmware update process & Copying from TNFS servers not working?

I noticed this starting back around the end of December timeframe. Previously I was able to copy .xex or .atr images from other tnfs sites and onto my SD card without issue. However, what happens now is that it just seems to hang on the copying to process and even waiting several minutes a message will pop up telling me to continue waiting as the file is still copying over. I've tried several different files and from several different servers and get the same results. And waiting does do anything as it seems to just hang there with the SIO light steady lit. So I suspect something is wrong perhaps with my Fujinet.

That takes me to the first question asked in the title. How exactly does one update the firmware on the FujiNet? I've not seen anything that specifically states how this is done? Do you just have it load up a file from the SD card? Do you somehow connect it up to your PC and download the firmware file to it that way? 

I have a Fujinet 1.5 that I use with my 130xe. All other functions on it near as I can tell seem to work fine other than the ability to copy from tnfs servers not actually working and locking up the fujinet cart.

13 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That takes me to the first question asked in the title. How exactly does one update the firmware on the FujiNet? I've not seen anything that specifically states how this is done? Do you just have it load up a file from the SD card? Do you somehow connect it up to your PC and download the firmware file to it that way? 

First thing you'll need is the FujiNet Flasher for your platform.  Check the note further down the page about drivers as well - you may need to install them.

Once you've got those sorted out, it should be possible to just connect the FujiNet to the PC via a Micro USB cable and (assuming it was successfully detected by the FujiNet Flasher) hit the update button.  The software will download and install the most recent firmware release.

16 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I have a Fujinet 1.5 that I use with my 130xe. All other functions on it near as I can tell seem to work fine other than the ability to copy from tnfs servers not actually working and locking up the fujinet cart.

Which servers are causing problems?

One thing I can say: the FujiNet is somewhat sensitive to the quality of both the WiFi and Internet connection it has access to.  This also applies to the remote server - if it's on a flaky connection or there are other connectivity issues going on on its end, transfers may not work.  Really, this is down to how UDP is used by TNFS as a low-overhead transport protocol; it's not a FujiNet problem as such, but inherent to the nature of UDP.

FWIW, I can 100% reliably hit the internal TNFS server here when remote ones aren't working, so am pretty well convinced that this is the case.

I have the flasher program and the UART driver installed previously in order for my LTO Flash to work. But I've ran into a very odd issue.

The flasher wouldn't work. I was getting the error described on the website where it just basically blinks when I try and run it and nothing happens and there are no errors. However, I have my PC setup for local accounts only on my Win10 setup and with a single user account that auto logs in. If I create a new account it is a major hassle... so instead...

I've got the flasher installed onto another small win10 PC in the game room and the flasher runs and the driver seems to see Com3 with the FujiNet installed. But when I try and run the flasher it sits for a while and eventually timesout waiting on the ESP? 

The debug log mode throws a permission error trying to access my com3 so that is a new one there as well.

Local TNFS service works fine from my PC btw and it was the Fujinet.Atari8bit.net server along with the Brewing academy server that I was trying to copy files from onto my SD card without success. Again, I know I was able to do this shortly after I got my Fujinet but it was sometime during the Holidays that it started this lockup stuff when trying to copy from other TNFS servers online.

Okay... so it seems the flasher program doesn't like running from off my NAS...interesting. I copied it locally to the PC I'm using and it gets further, but now tosses a File not found error when it tries to connect to the fujiflash I think?

image.thumb.png.668074af71b9e3bd5fb07fb4909f37f5.png

6 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The flasher wouldn't work. I was getting the error described on the website where it just basically blinks when I try and run it and nothing happens and there are no errors. However, I have my PC setup for local accounts only on my Win10 setup and with a single user account that auto logs in. If I create a new account it is a major hassle... so instead...

I've got the flasher installed onto another small win10 PC in the game room and the flasher runs and the driver seems to see Com3 with the FujiNet installed. But when I try and run the flasher it sits for a while and eventually timesout waiting on the ESP?

Dumb question: what happens if you run the flasher as admin?

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The debug log mode throws a permission error trying to access my com3 so that is a new one there as well.

This is what has me wondering about needing to run it as admin, BTW.

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Local TNFS service works fine from my PC btw and it was the Fujinet.Atari8bit.net server along with the Brewing academy server that I was trying to copy files from onto my SD card without success. Again, I know I was able to do this shortly after I got my Fujinet but it was sometime during the Holidays that it started this lockup stuff when trying to copy from other TNFS servers online.

Try hitting tnfs.online and let me know what happens.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time your AP / router was rebooted?  It could need to have some cobwebs cleared out.

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Okay... so it seems the flasher program doesn't like running from off my NAS...interesting.

Yeah, it's generally best to run it directly from the machine you're using to do the flashing from.

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I copied it locally to the PC I'm using and it gets further, but now tosses a File not found error when it tries to connect to the fujiflash I think?

The error looks like it can't find COM3:. What happens when you click the refresh button on the right of the serial port drop-down?

One thing I have noticed is that if you make changes to serial ports (e.g., unplugging and reconnecting the FujiNet) while the flasher is up and running, even a refresh may not catch the change.  Better to close it, make the change, then restart it.  Note that I'm saying this as a predominantly-Mac user, so take it for what it's worth.

I get the same results running it as admin

When I click on the refresh the window is empty but com3 appears in the dropdown. If I disconnect the fujinet, then com3 doesn't show up. I've tried other com ports and rebooted the PC between each and no dice.

The most I'm able to get it when it sits and hangs for while and then comes back telling me it couldn't find the ESP device and timesout. But obviously the wi-fi chip is working or else I wouldn't be able to browse folders and load up stuff from other TNF servers. And that is the odd thing. I can select an image from an online tnfs and select which slot to put it too and then press Option to reboot and that works and the program will load. But when I select to copy and then copy again on the SD card, that is when it fails and just sits there with the SIO light constant. Not blinking as I'm used to seeing it do when it is actually loading up data.

Using a serial port monitor program, I'm able to see the flasher software trying to connect on com3 but it seems to get no reply. I've also just tried 2 other USB cables incase that was the issue. But the cable I've always used with my LTO Flash! has always been good which is why I use it for that cartridge and it works without issue. But the FujiNet is a no go.

I thought I was doing something wrong hence my asking on exactly how it should be flashed, but I think I'm doing everything right and something else is up.

Here is a screencap from the other error I will sometimes get. But this will only come up the first time I try and flash. All other attempts will immediately give me the permission denied error. I have to unplug the Fuji and plug it back in to get this error to come up again.

Screenshot 2022-02-09 225906.png

@-^CrossBow^- 

Make sure you have installed the drivers from https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers then try this procedure:

Make sure fujinet flasher is not running.

Press and hold button A on the Fujinet (far left).

While holding button A, plug in the microusb cable to the computer. The 3 leds on Fujinet should dimly light up.

Run Fujinet flasher with administrator privileges, select COM port and press the flash firmware button.

26 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

@-^CrossBow^- 

Make sure you have installed the drivers from https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers then try this procedure:

Make sure fujinet flasher is not running.

Press and hold button A on the Fujinet (far left).

While holding button A, plug in the microusb cable to the computer. The 3 leds on Fujinet should dimly light up.

Run Fujinet flasher with administrator privileges, select COM port and press the flash firmware button.

I actually uninstalled the current drivers I already had from when I set it up for the LTO Flash cart last night and reinstalled using the drivers from Silabs. (Ended up being the same as I was already using BTW). But it didn't change anything.

I will try again tonight holding down the A button as you've stated. That is the button on the far left  correct? 

Won't that also blow out the current configuration I have on the Fujinet doing this? Or is that info stored on the SDcard?

20 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That is the button on the far left  correct? 

Yep.

21 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Won't that also blow out the current configuration I have on the Fujinet doing this? Or is that info stored on the SDcard?

Flashing wipes the config from internal flash storage. If you have an SD card, the config there is left as is. Holding the B button during powerup wipes the internal config also.

45 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Yep.

Flashing wipes the config from internal flash storage. If you have an SD card, the config there is left as is. Holding the B button during powerup wipes the internal config also.

Thanks for clarifying. I will give it a try later tonight but I'm not very hopeful. I'm guessing I might need to try and update at work on my Windows 7 32-bit VM I still have and use for my day job to support older hardware. Or heck, I still have an XP based Acer Aspire ONE that I might try and use.

7 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Yep.

That did it. I guess I missed the part about needing to press the A button down while powering on the Fujinet. I assume that puts it into flash ready mode more or less? 

Thanks again!

21 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I guess I missed the part about needing to press the A button down while powering on the Fujinet.

You shouldn't need to. Part of the circuit is supposed to do that automatically.

23 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I assume that puts it into flash ready mode more or less? 

Yep

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

You shouldn't need to. Part of the circuit is supposed to do that automatically.

Yep

Well thank you again for that tip as that got it to flash. And as I suspected, it is copying over from tnf servers again onto the SD without locking up so it was something goofy with the FW on the cart it would seem.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Here is a screencap from the other error I will sometimes get. But this will only come up the first time I try and flash. All other attempts will immediately give me the permission denied error. I have to unplug the Fuji and plug it back in to get this error to come up again.

Screenshot 2022-02-09 225906.png

I had the same problem and error message.  It was a bit frustrating because I could see the COM port in Device Manager and the Fujinet was obviously communicating via that COM port if I pressed the reset or disk swap buttons on the Fujinet (entries appeared in the console window of the flasher).

Anyway, mozzwald's fix worked for me too.  Thanks mozzwald!  And, no, this fix is not documented anywhere else that I can find.  It for sure is not on the FujiNet hardware/flasher page (https://fujinet.online/download/).

• 1 month later...

For the NUC576+ using a USB to TTL cable, Windows 11 automatically chooses a Prolific driver that does not work. An older version of the driver does work in windows 11, version 3.2. I installed these and then did a manual update and chose the older version from a list.

Products (prolific.com.tw)

P3200.zip

Then I get this

image.thumb.png.e2f0603dff54e6a20f559242f1b4b09c.png 

I ran the firmware program as administrator.  This is on a Nuc576+.

I need suggestions on how to complete this.

21 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

For the NUC576+ using a USB to TTL cable, Windows 11 automatically chooses a Prolific driver that does not work. An older version of the driver does work in windows 11, version 3.2. I installed these and then did a manual update and chose the older version from a list.

Products (prolific.com.tw)

P3200.zip 1.77 MB · 0 downloads

Then I get this

image.thumb.png.e2f0603dff54e6a20f559242f1b4b09c.png 

<bump>

On 8/12/2022 at 10:18 AM, SoulBuster said:

On 8/12/2022 at 10:24 AM, SoulBuster said:

You know the funny thing is that my stand alone fujinet updated the first try.

Perhaps the Prolific driver you were able to get installed still has some issues? I'm not sure if the NUC Fuji has it, but you could try holding button A then turn on the fuji and continue holding the button during the entire flash process.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:46 PM, mozzwald said:

Perhaps the Prolific driver you were able to get installed still has some issues? I'm not sure if the NUC Fuji has it, but you could try holding button A then turn on the fuji and continue holding the button during the entire flash process.

Flashing Procedure for 576NUC+ FujiNet Board

1. Turn OFF FujiNet power switch.
  2. Connect USB/Serial cable between FujiNet and the computer.
  3. Press and hold the 'A' button.
  4. Turn ON the FujiNet power switch.
  5. When you see both the white and blue LEDs light up release the 'A' button.
  6. You are now ready to download the new firmware.
  7. Start the FujiNet Flashing app, and after selecting the serial port associated with the cable, press the Flash FujiNet Firmware button and let it do it's thing (this takes a while).

I hope that helps :)

@SoulBuster

As for the Windows Prolific driver, I can't help you much there since I use Linux Mint which already comes with an appropriate driver installed (works out of the box). You might want to try reversing the TXD and RXD connection at the FujiNet programming header to see if that fixes things (I wouldn't trust the manufacturer's labeling on those).

Good luck.