IGNORED

2600 Words (Wordle clone)

Karl G

So, sometimes I can miss the obvious. I was thinking that compressing the dictionary down to two bytes would mean slower word validation, since I'd have to perform a number of bit-masking and bit-shifting operations to compare with the word in RAM. It just occurred to me that I could instead compress the word to be checked down to two bytes, and then compare those bytes directly with the compressed words in ROM. Instead of slowing down the process, it will actually speed it up!

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, Al_Nafuur said:

With a PlusROM backend you can cram in as many words and languages as you want. ;-)

While I want to have a standalone version, I did wonder about a version using PlusROM features to serve up words. Wouldn't I have to run my own server to serve up the words, though?

I also thought about other languages. I couldn't easily use more than 28 letters, and accented letters would be problematic, though. I'd need a native speaker to curate a list of good play words, too. But if all of these things could be overcome, I think it would be pretty cool to offer non-English versions.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Karl G said:

While I want to have a standalone version, I did wonder about a version using PlusROM features to serve up words. Wouldn't I have to run my own server to serve up the words, though?

If you want something done right, do it yourself ;-)

https://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/?PlusROM

13 hours ago, Karl G said:

While I want to have a standalone version, I did wonder about a version using PlusROM features to serve up words.

You can have only one version and detect if PlusROM functions are available on that emulator/hardware and then give the user the option to select the online languages or dictionary.

• Like 1

There's been a lot of changes in the past week! I've added a new version to the first post. Major changes include:

• A new name: 2600 Words (was VCS Words)
  • A new titlescreen
  • A bigger play dictionary (you guessed it: 2600 play words!)
  • Word validation is now working (using official Scrabble dictionary with 12971 entries)
  • Simple sound effects added (disable with left difficulty=A)
  • Tweaked colors for better contrast

With the size of the dictionary I'm using, going down to 32K would be a tight squeeze, so I'm sticking with 64K, and plan to make use of the extra space for things like a nice stats screen, alternate play dictionaries (e.g. video game-related words to guess), etc.

2600words_2.thumb.png.be292cd0ee9ab7e349852576d0bca796.png

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, DeafAtariFromKansas said:

I encounter the problem is randomize which it could not get new word (repeated same after first new words at power-up)  see images below

I'm not sure if I follow. Are you saying that you get new words after you cycle the power, but the same ones when you restart with the fire button? How many games before you see a repeat? Is it the same number each time?

18 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I'm not sure if I follow. Are you saying that you get new words after you cycle the power, but the same ones when you restart with the fire button? How many games before you see a repeat? Is it the same number each time?

yes, cycle the power do randomize, but restart new word, type "pests", then do the same after another. then later I try to cycle the power, new different pattern word. then try to restart word by press fire, then i try to see if I get "pests". does repeat same... Is Stella 6.4 have issues with this?  thanks

7 minutes ago, DeafAtariFromKansas said:

yes, cycle the power do randomize, but restart new word, type "pests", then do the same after another. then later I try to cycle the power, new different pattern word. then try to restart word by press fire, then i try to see if I get "pests". does repeat same... Is Stella 6.4 have issues with this?  thanks

I haven't seen it under Stella, but I don't have any theories yet on why it's happening in Javatari. Can you try it in Stella and see if you get different results?

2 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I haven't seen it under Stella, but I don't have any theories yet on why it's happening in Javatari. Can you try it in Stella and see if you get different results?

I did test in Javatari, it does not affected, It does affected on Stella 6.4.. I have to upgrade new version of Stella to see if it solve the problem..

Another day, another update. Version 4 has been added to the first post.

New Feature:

• Colorblind-friendly color palette added. Enable by setting Color/BW switch to BW at the beginning of a game.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed crash entering words starting with "J" (these were directed to the wrong bank)
  • Fixed issue with validation of a few words causing overcycling (e.g. ROADS)

2600words.thumb.png.e6d62902a55db1103d633179a8ef61a0.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've added version 5 to the first post with the following changes:

• SaveKey support to allow for sequential play, and tracking of game stats
  • Title screen menu to allow choosing of game mode (random vs sequential), and the display of the stats page
  • Stats page to track games played, games won, current vs max streak, and number of guesses required for each game
  • Hard mode fix to enforce green letters being in their correct positions
  • Audio tweaks

SaveKey notes:

• Right now, the SaveKey is using scratch space rather than an assigned address until more testing has been completed
  • Stats may be cleared by pressing and holding up and fire on the left joystick upon powerup
  • Sequential play mode will go through all 2600 words in the play dictionary, but there is no code yet to handle when that number has been exceeded
  • The play dictionary will be shuffled (and possibly tweaked) before the final release, so knowing the first several words now won't give away those same words later
  • With 2600 play words, a new game could be played every day for over seven years before running out

2600words_6.thumb.png.9e4c3f806c0135b8dac7012afd36bab6.png

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, DeafAtariFromKansas said:

Just curious, can you re-locate status to center instead of left on screen?  Still enjoy playing this...  ?

I could, and I thought about it. Would anyone else prefer the stats centered? 

Think I found a bug.  I was playing on Random, took me 6 tries to guess OPENS, but it did not record the guess on the Distribution (Stats) page.  This happened twice while on Random play.  I switched to Sequential play and forced a couple of wins (6 tries) and it recorded each win correctly.

Random Play

RAND.jpg

OPENS.jpg

RAND DIST.jpg

Sequential Play

SEQ PLay.jpg

TOUGH.jpg

SEQ Distribution.jpg

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

Think I found a bug.  I was playing on Random, took me 6 tries to guess the (OPENS) but it did not record the guess on the Distribution (Stats page)  This happened twice while on Random play.  I switched to Sequential play and forced a couple of wins (6 tries) and it recorded each win correctly.

This is as intended. The stats are to track your progress going through the 2600 words in sequence, and random is if you don't want to do that, e.g. if someone else wants to play, and you don't want it to mess with your stats. I'm open to hearing how you or others think this should work if you have other ideas, though. 

As a side note, I'm also thinking of saving multiple play "profiles" each with their own position and stats so multiple people could track their progress.