IGNORED

2600 Words (Wordle clone)

Karl G

18 minutes ago, Karl G said:

This is as intended. The stats are to track your progress going through the 2600 words in sequence, and random is if you don't want to do that, e.g. if someone else wants to play, and you don't want it to mess with your stats.

Ahh, makes absolute sense.:dunce:

My apologies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

Never played Wordle before. This is very cool.

That said, I'm pretty sure I didn't need another time-suck to get addicted to. But I am enjoying it. ;) 

Thanks! The actual Wordle game at least is a limited time-suck, since it is just one word a day (same word for everyone).

I love this game.  My wife sits over my shoulder and plays with me.  It's a nice way to end the evening.  One thought that might be an improvement is in the random mode, it might be nice to be able to challenge someone.  Could a code be given so people could input it and get the same word?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Novastar said:

I love this game.  My wife sits over my shoulder and plays with me.  It's a nice way to end the evening.  One thought that might be an improvement is in the random mode, it might be nice to be able to challenge someone.  Could a code be given so people could input it and get the same word?

Huh. An interesting idea. A related idea might be to allow one person to input a word for another to guess, or have a way to repeat the last word to have someone else try it right then.

• Like 2

Hopelessly addicted to this now.

The stats get broken after 100 games.

Here, I've actually played 102 games (winning 99), but it shows 91 games played, and the number of games under Guesses only adds up to 88:

2600words-5-NTSC_32.thumb.png.15ad5d46d7ec3d51138244ef12b63e90.png

Two games later (both wins) the number of games has gone up by two, the total under Guesses has gone up by two, but the number of wins has gone down by 9:

2600words-5-NTSC_33.thumb.png.43acc50bcd476e3823e17bd093c7c561.png

• Like 1

@Nathan Strum - Based on the screenshots, I'm assuming that you are playing on an emulator. If you are playing on Stella, could you please send me your savekey_eeprom.dat from Stella? On Windows, it should be in your user directory under AppData\Stella\nvram\.

If you are playing on hardware, I made a small utility to print the the contents of the 64-byte block I am using. Hit space to display the second page.

displaysk.bin

I've been playing in Stella. The weird thing is - today it's working fine, and it actually picked up where it should have been before.

2600words-5-NTSC_35.thumb.png.7f72bae2515a8c19c76ca17765bc1de6.png

Fortunately, I backed up my computer yesterday after playing it and was able to restore that version of the file with the weird stats:

old_savekey_eeprom.dat.zip

And here's the current one, with the stats working again:

current_savekey_eeprom.dat.zip

(I should note, that while I'm using Stella 6.4 to play this, I'm also running a pre-release build of Stella 6.7 to test a couple of homebrews in development. I don't know if that would affect it.)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I've been playing in Stella. The weird thing is - today it's working fine, and it actually picked up where it should have been before.

Okay; that definitely is weird. Was all of the odd behavior from a single play session in Stella? It now looks like a display issue and not a data issue, and I'm glad that I don't have to figure out how to fix your stat data.  ?

4 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

(I should note, that while I'm using Stella 6.4 to play this, I'm also running a pre-release build of Stella 6.7 to test a couple of homebrews in development. I don't know if that would affect it.)

That shouldn't make a difference here.

6 hours ago, Karl G said:

Okay; that definitely is weird. Was all of the odd behavior from a single play session in Stella? It now looks like a display issue and not a data issue, and I'm glad that I don't have to figure out how to fix your stat data.  ?

It seems to me I quit Stella once or twice in there. But maybe I did so before it updated its save file?

4 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

It seems to me I quit Stella once or twice in there. But maybe I did so before it updated its save file?

Okay, so the old SaveKey data file has incorrect data that is consistent with the screenshots you provided. The New SaveKey data file has the correct data. I absolutely see no way that my game could write out the wrong data, and then later self-correct. Here is my working theory:

I'm wondering if you had more than one instance of Stella running this at once? I'm thinking that there could have been some cross-contamination to the SaveKey data file if different instances of Stella were running the game with different current stats. I'm not adverse to thinking that it's a bug in my code, but I can't think of any other way that the stats would self-correct like that unless it was a different instance of Stella writing out the SaveKey data file upon exit.

I added version 6 to the first post. Changes include:

• Fixed screen jumps when switching between screens (Title, Game, and Stats)
  • Eliminated overcycling during hard mode word validation
  • Hard mode validation fails flash a different color (bright orange instead of red for invalid words)
  • Like 1

Version 7 has been added to the first post. Changes include:

• Title music added (disable with left difficulty=A)
  • Short win/lose tunes added (disable with left difficulty=A)
  • Line count stabilization on Stats screen (should not be affected by number of digits displayed now)
  • Code cleanup/optimization

Edit: Version 7 had a bug at game end. Version 8 has been added correcting this.

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing 2600 Words on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 3

Love the changes.  My almost 7 year old wanted to play and he loved it too, had to help a bit with Glade.  Did find what looks to be a bug.  Not sure if it was a dictionary error or a typing error.  He said he was trying to write Claps.  It took CGaps as a word.

IMG_20220308_193054974.thumb.jpg.2e4605c116715aed0f37e64c01e80292.jpg

He also wanted me to say that he would love to make up words for guessing.  He was really excited and we talked about what a it means to be a programmer.  Anyways, just wanted to say that the whole family loves the game and I thought it would be interesting to see how excited a really young person is about this game.

Edited by Novastar
  • Like 2