IGNORED

ebay Best Offer Payment

roadrunner

Actually, that looks worse than described, as that buyer claims he was charged IMMEDIATELY when he submitted the offer, and that the offer was also declined immediately by eBay (lower than the seller's threshold, apparently).  This buyer was using PayPal, which means those funds were immediately locked up so he cannot use them until the PayPal "payment" drops off after a day or three.  If this is indeed what happened and what eBay is actually doing now, that's some major BS.  Especially if you often make offers.. I'd say half of the offers I make are declined, so that means I'd have those funds tied up in a declined offer every time I did that, as well as while you wait for a seller to even react to your offer, which doesn't always happen.

..Al

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

But am I missing something?  I thought PayPal wasn't a thing anymore with eBay.

I had to convert to their payments method last year, or something.

PayPal is still one of the payment methods eBay supports, and is probably the one used by a good majority of people in the classic gaming scene.  I should see what percentage of payments in the AtariAge Store are made via PayPal versus credit cards. 

..Al

Interesting since I made offers on 2 different listings the other day, and then sent the seller a message about combining the listings to lower the cost of shipping. I didn't think it would happen but figured it was worth a shot. The sell obliged and cancelled the offers on both, then made a separate listing for a combined sale and sent me the info. I did a BIN and paid right away using the same funds from PayPal. 

This was all about 3 days ago, after this was posted to the community. Sounds like it may have been a glitch, or something the buyer inadvertently agreed to.

edit:

or maybe not. Many other posters claim this is new but predates my most recent offer experience. I guess I will have to check to see if my balance had a hold on it that has since increased.

Edited by Dopy25

2 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

On the other hand if you get charged right away even if the offer is declined then that is bad.

Yes, that's the main thing I have an issue with, as well as if they take payment immediately before the seller even responds.  Not all sellers respond quickly or even at all to offers, so it's really annoying if your money is tied up waiting for a response when the seller might not even respond or they might decline your offer.

This is great for eBay, though, as they can have MULTIPLE people making offers on an item, and that money can be earning interest for eBay.  I'm sure this is the main reason they set themselves up as a payment processor as well.  All that money coming in that they can sit on for 48 hours before paying it out.  Etsy does this as well.

..Al

• Like 1

One of the first people to respond posted this:

You seem to think that ebay stores auto accept/decline offer prices.  They do not or in the Offer box it would say make an offer of X$ or more. It has been that way since ebay started the auto accept/decline feature.

Which is absolute bullshit.  I have made many offers which were immediately rejected, and the offer dialogue has never told me to make an offer over a certain amount.  What it has said is that offers over a certain amount were more likely to be accepted, and I have made plenty of offers under that amount which were accepted.

Notwithstanding, this pre-charge on an offer is yet another unfriendly tactic from eBay which will push more people to alternative marketplaces.  Of course, not enough at first to make eBay notice.

• Like 1

If they are doing this to, say,  stop scammers who were never going to pay anyway as someone in the eBay thread suggested,  Then they should release the funds IMMEDIATELY,  if the transaction does not go through.

It's a shame there's only one eBay,  I've always wished there were more auction sites (Remember Yahoo Auctions?  **sigh**)...

Who does eBay think they are?  Spotify???  haha..Seriously NEVER give your credit card info to Spotify.  Even if you Cancel your "free" trial, they will charge your card...Or at least they did mine.

• Like 1

The way around it is to email the seller and ask if they will accept $xx.xx. If they say yes then go ahead make the offer officially. If not. Move on. And no hold gets placed.

Unless ebay is charging you twice..?? One hold, and one for the sale. And if that's the case, then fuk'em'.

Thankfully the next bit of retrostuff I plan on getting is coming from individual hobbyists and other sites.

Edited by Keatah

8 hours ago, taxman said:

I hope that's an indication that Ebay is clawing back this stupid policy.

Perhaps it's dependent on how many feedback ratings the buyer has and/or their payment history?  Or maybe the price of the item?  I really can't say, but I've purchased two different items in the past week using offers with no changes to the payment process on my end.  eBay wouldn't be allowed to charge you without you consenting in some way to payment if the offer is accepted, and I don't remember being asked that.

That's actually good, because the offer system used to bypass the system where they had to pay right away to end the auction. I've accepted offers before, the auction ends and the buyer never pays, causing me to wait a week and relist, etc. It's a pain in the ass. Glad they fixed it.  Don't make an offer if you aren't going to pay for it.

1 minute ago, GoldenWheels said:

I'm confused and frankly trying to read the ebay thread wasn't that helpful. Like Psionic, I've done many offers recently and still had to complete payment after acceptance.

Not sure. Maybe it's on accounts with lower feedback or no recent feedback only?

6 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

Not sure. Maybe it's on accounts with lower feedback or no recent feedback only?

Good theory but doesn't really add up as far as I can tell as the guy who started that thread has a higher number total and more transactions than me in the last year. He said he saw it and dealt with this weird pre-payment thing, but I don't.

If it helps as a factoid, I also do offers via mobile, like the ebay OP.

ONLY thing I can offer for me getting good treatment is that I have NEVER not paid in less than 24 hours....in 99% percent of cases I have paid within 5 minutes....I am kind of a quick payment freak.

I wonder if they treat heavy buyers vs  heavy sellers differently? Grille badge guys seems a real seller. I only sell once in a blue moon. However I make an offers probably at least once a week. But why that'd be some defining line...I dunno.