IGNORED

Playing NES games on SNES.

• 1 month later...

Me too because the snes was not designed with compatibility in mind(they scrapped it halfway trough development) but since it still uses the 65c816 chip wich is also based on the 6502 chiip,it’s possible to line up those adress registers with each other,for background mode 1 or mode 4 can be used while for sound,digitized psg sound and emulated 1bit dpcm can be used,for controller input B & Y can be used to emulated A & B ,to emulate those enhancement chips,the snes cpu can be used as well aside for behaving like the nes cpu since the snes cpu does have enough power to do so,thus emulating nes hardware on snes is possible,in fact there was a prototype superdeck adaptor to play nes games on snes by using hardware tricks & emulating,thus justifying nintendo’s decissions from developing the snes???

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 1:02 AM, 0078265317 said:

I know there are adapter and stuff but just found this and it really interested me.

Yeah, it's very cool what that guy has managed there. I do wish Nintendo had actually gone all the way and fully implemented the backwards compatibility in the first place. That could have been a huge usp, and I think it really would have pleased all those NES owners who were thinking of upgrading and/or did.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Yeah, it's very cool what that guy has managed there. I do wish Nintendo had actually gone all the way and fully implemented the backwards compatibility in the first place. That could have been a huge usp, and I think it really would have pleased all those NES owners who were thinking of upgrading and/or did.

Would've opened my SNES up to another 345 NES/FC games for sure, to go with the 201 SNES/SFC games I already own, not to mention 120 of the 142 GB/GBC/GBA games I own (thank goodness for the Super Game Boy, playing on a GBA as I get older is tougher as the screen just isn't big enough for older eyes).

1 hour ago, Bloodreign said:

Would've opened my SNES up to another 345 NES/FC games for sure, to go with the 201 SNES/SFC games I already own, not to mention 120 of the 142 GB/GBC/GBA games I own (thank goodness for the Super Game Boy, playing on a GBA as I get older is tougher as the screen just isn't big enough for older eyes).

Even though the SNES is already my favourite console anyway, I can imagine with this additonal capability of playing NES games built in, it would have been untouchable. And, since I never actually owned a NES back in the day, it really would happened opened me up to that system's stellar library in a way that's hard to appreciate to quite the same level today for me.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

I never had a SNES (or an NES) when they were knew, but I had just assumed, based on my experience with other systems, that the SNES was backward compatible. I was quite shocked when I found out that it was not. Had I owned an NES, this would have dissuaded me from upgrading.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Reminds me of the NES to Genesis tool.  Unfortunately nothing runs besides exactly what the developer tested against.  Not even hacks of tested games work.

Ultimately, these kinds of things are almost always clunky and half-broken, but they're still very interesting to see. What I want more than all of that and the ROM hacks and so on though, is simply more new homebrew/indie SNES games. That's the stuff I'm waiting most on. Keeping my fingers crossed the SNES time is coming in this area. . . .

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

There is/was a NES to PCE conversion tool too.  A small number of NES games were converted to PCE format to run on stock hardware just fine, and I've got those roms in a dump I had on an everdrive last when I had system to run it.  I had kept the archive, stuffed them on my hakchi'd out spare SNES CE I found later last year.  The music is a bit off since they're not the same tone generators but other than that they largely workout excellent.