IGNORED

Going Down Memory Lane With Crystal Castles

Shaggy the Atarian

I suppose that if anyone will appreciate this, it'll be here on AA :D

On a non-arcade sidenote, I imagine that had Atari been more forward thinking about it in the late 80s, they really could have made Bentley Bear a real mascot by porting the arcade version to the 7800 and Lynx, but also by putting him into other genres (like Nintendo did with Mario and games like Dr. Mario, Mario Golf, etc.). I also wonder how the Jaguar would handle a 3D Crystal Castles in the style of Super Mario 64 (using shaded polys, of course)?

• Like 3

Great job! Very thorough! I really enjoyed that.

The best home conversion was done by Thundervision for the C64. Curiously, it's much better than AtariSoft's own adaptation for the same computer. (I can't find a YT film of the Thundervision game that doesn't horizontally stretch the playfield and make it look quite different.)

This kind of explains why there are two different C64 versions, in case anyone's interested. I disagree with the writer that Thundervision's translation only has an "edge" over the Atari version. I think it plays a lot better.

https://www.skunkworx.org/goa/cgi-scripts/game-system-review.php?game=crystal-castles&system=c-64&systemext=thundervision

Edited by Chris+++
Forgot something. :)
  • Like 2