IGNORED

Season 20 Round 4 - R.B.I. Baseball

asponge

I know it's a competition and I know it's just a game but...I can't. I just can't do this anymore. this game just plain sucks. I hate baseball. It's fun to watch don't get me wrong but to play is another thing. Pop up flies, double plays (when I get to the home base, I expect to score not to be out) and other crap. I am at a loss as to why people even LIKE this sport

When are we going to play something FUN?

Edited by Frozone212

20 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

I know it's a competition and I know it's just a game but...I can't. I just can't do this anymore. this game just plain sucks. I hate baseball. It's fun to watch don't get me wrong but to play is another thing. Pop up flies, double plays (when I get to the home base, I expect to score not to be out) and other crap. I am at a loss as to why people even LIKE this sport

When are we going to play something FUN?

Thank you - your complaining has fueled me to try and get an even higher score differential.  I think I will play a few more games tonight.  Note that I don't remember playing this game since the late 90s, and I jumped right in and won my first three attempts and got a 10-run win against the computer on my 4th.  Like any retro game, there are patterns, and it just takes a little practice.  Playing defense is probably the hardest thing to get used to, so here are some tips that might help if you ever do decide to play again.

Defense

Pop Ups

• After the batter puts the ball in play, never let your first move on defense be forward (aka down on d-pad)
  • Wait a second.  Don't move at all and listen for the pop-fly sound. 
  • If you hear it, your first move should be backward.  Quickly decide which fielder should make the play and then begin moving that fielder BEHIND the shadow.

Ground Balls

• The first thing you have to do is figure out which players you are moving. 
  • For ground ball plays your first move should be left or right and almost NEVER forward (down). 
  • If a fielder you are controlling gets the ball then another player is running to cover the nearest base.  On fielding plays close to the base, wait to make sure the base is covered before throwing.
  • If you want to tag a player or a base, do NOT run players down manually.  You will miss the tag 90% of the time.  Press B and a direction to make the fielder run to a specific base.

Pitching

Don't be afraid to walk people.  The bottom of the order is worse than the top.  Get hitters 7, 8, and 9 out every time they come up.

The classic strikeout is

1. A pitch inside too fast to hit -the batter takes or swings but backs away
  2. A pitch on the outside that the batter has to move toward the plate to hit - swing and miss
  3. Then a sinker over the plate that drops - swing and miss

Generally, I find that when the batter has to move before hitting that they don't get as much power and are less likely to hit a home run on me.

I can't prove it, but I think pitching inside with full or average fatigue usually results in a play that the defense can make.  The heaviest hitters will still stroke it.

How did I 10 run the CPU this week?

• Sidearm pitchers have nasty stuff.  If you can get a ball to cross the plate on the very corner, the CPU will often not even swing.
  • Play with the starting position of your pitcher (left/right) and find the sweet spot where you can drag the ball across the plate and let it cross the corner.

Hitting

• Forget about the plate!  It is about the placement of the ball on an imaginary horizontal line across the entire area to the left and right of the plate
  • You are trying to get the middle, fat part of the bat on the ball - Not the skinny part near the player and not the far end.
  • Be aware that you can move the batter around after the pitch is thrown.
  • I can swear that pushing up while swinging generates more fly balls (and home runs) while pushing down causes ground balls.

Some people still play this game in tournaments, so there is a lot more detailed information "out there" than my ramblings.  For example, here's a fun little fan site I found:  R.B.I. Baseball - TECMO BOWL VS R.B.I. BASEBALL (tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com)

• Like 1

12 - 2 = 10

2145234750_RBIBaseball.png.362f74e509b2100da4c50cfc0d04a72c.png

This doesn't improve my score, but my stats are better so I'm posting it.

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

15 strikeouts - sweet!  Fernando Valenzuela has a mean dropping pitch.  Is that how you got them?

In that game I didn't use Valenzuela too much.  For whatever reason he was get tired out by the 4th inning so I put Sutcliffe in for a few innings and then Bedrosian to finish up the game.  The game that I just posted here I believe I kept him in through the 6th which is usually possible.  Either way I almost exclusively use the curve ball no matter which pitcher is in play.

I kind of pitch like you're describing a few posts up.  If the batter is same-handed I'll curve it across the outside corner.  If it's timed right they'll swing every time and miss.  If the batter is differently-handed I'll pitch to the outside first.  Often the batter won't even swing but will move closer to the plate.  Then I'll pitch way to the inside.  The batter will normally swing, miss and move away from the plate.  Then I'll switch back to the outside again for a strikeout.  Obviously this doesn't always work exactly as described and some random pitches may need to be included, but it works consistently enough that I stick with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

But 2x I've now managed to get +13.  This one was ooh soo close to 14, but I gave up a solo homer in the last inning to the NL all stars.

You're killing me Smalls!

1335630369_RBIBaseball.png.42529c26144d15a4e0396d2ffee8f540.png

I'm only posting this to brag about 24 strikeouts. I can't break the 10 point barrier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, asponge said:

You're killing me Smalls!

1335630369_RBIBaseball.png.42529c26144d15a4e0396d2ffee8f540.png

I'm only posting this to brag about 24 strikeouts. I can't break the 10 point barrier.

Holy cow! Your strikeout game is waay better than mine.  My advice on offense is that you probably have a substitution you can make right off the bat to improve your hitting.  I can't remember who bats 8th for the NL all stars, but since defense doesn't really matter, you should sub in your heaviest pinch hitter in the first inning to give you a bit more offense.  Also - I'm sure you know this if you've played this much, but the computer won't stop you from taking 2nd base if there is a runner on 3rd.  You should always be able to move freely to 2nd from 1st with a 3rd base runner.  You may have to start the runner on 3rd going home for a second, but eventually the catcher will just hold the ball and let you take 2nd.   

I kept playing against all the teams today with the AL all stars, and on my last game, I managed to get to +14.  I think this is also the first time that I have ever managed to actually finish playing all the teams and go 9-0.  A new song plays and the picture in the paper changes to a little video of your players throwing a player into the air in celebration.

1856504077_RBIBaseball7.thumb.jpg.9cb29dbc752d3f289f6277a2e5ade74a.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wongojack said:

the computer won't stop you from taking 2nd base if there is a runner on 3rd.  You should always be able to move freely to 2nd from 1st with a 3rd base runner.  You may have to start the runner on 3rd going home for a second, but eventually the catcher will just hold the ball and let you take 2nd.   

I actually didn't know that.  Thanks for the tip.  Awesome score by the way.  I need to work on my offense.

• Like 1