IGNORED

Metroid Other M Won't Work on Wii U?

Tempest

I went to go play my copy of Metroid Other M on my Wii U and discovered that it said it can't read the disc.  The disc works just fine in my real Wii though.  I thought that maybe my Wii U is having trouble with dual layered Wii discs, but it reads The Last Story just fine.  Any ideas?  The disc looks perfect, no scratches or anything. 

While I don't own the game I just did a search to see if people are having issues and the only thing everyone keeps saying is you have to have a WiiMote to play it - first person views require it. So it should read the disc and work fine. :(

Source 1

Source 2 (3rd post down specifically)

Source 3 (5 years old though)

I'm no help I know.

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Guess so.  I'll try cleaning it again and seeing if it works.   Odd that it works on my Wii just fine though.

Could be an issue with the Wii U, or maybe it just for some random reason doesn't like your particular disc. I have had this happen with prior disc-based consoles, and may have even had it happen once with my Wii U as well. It's a bummer but I honestly wouldn't worry too much unless you start experiencing it with other Wii discs.

10 minutes ago, Austin said:

Could be an issue with the Wii U, or maybe it just for some random reason doesn't like your particular disc. I have had this happen with prior disc-based consoles, and may have even had it happen once with my Wii U as well. It's a bummer but I honestly wouldn't worry too much unless you start experiencing it with other Wii discs.

I'm going to try my other Wii discs tonight and see if they all load up.  I've never had any issues with Wii U games before, but I've also never really played any Wii games on it.  

I tried a ton of my other Wii games and they all worked.  Even ones I had gotten second hand and were more likely to have scratches worked.  The Other M disc looks just fine so I'm not sure what the problem is, but it seems to limited to just Metroid for some reason.  I suppose I can just get a digital copy and be done with it, or hook up my Wii when I want to play it.

I don't know quite how it works, but would dual layered Wii discs always initially load upon bootup from the same data layer of the disc regardless of which dual layered Wii title it is? Or could The Last Story and Other M be doing their initial boot load from opposite layers of the disc?

If there's a chance of the latter (Although I'm assuming discs all try to do their initial booting from the same spot on the disc), perhaps Other M's boot data just happens to reside in the opposing lay from where The Last Story's booting happens from? And if so, maybe your Wii U's drive indeed is struggling to read one of the data layers on dual layered Wii games.

A bit of a reach, probably. But perhaps not. 

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Fusion today.  It was fun game, but one of the easiest Metroid's I've played.  The energy tank upgrades were numerous and other than one or two, they weren't hard to find.  The bosses were all pretty easy as well.  I'm not sure I liked the whole 'absorbing' mechanic, but it made sense within the story I guess.  Definitely one of the top three Metroids in my book.  I find it interesting how well Other M fit into Fusion's story even though it came out 7 or 8 years later.

Dread is up next.  I've heard mixed reviews about it, I hope it's decent.

• Thanks 1

So first 15 min with Dread, not so hot.  I don't know what game I'm playing but it's not a Metroid game.  I already don't like the one hit insta-kills on certain bosses and the weird counter system.  The graphical style also makes me think of some cheap mobile game.  I see that Mercury Steam developed this and I guess that makes sense, their two Castlevania games were pretty annoying too.  I think I'll stick with it just for the story, but I can already tell I'm not going to like this one.