IGNORED

Atari Video Music C-240?

YSG2020

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Took me years of searching to find one, and this was way back in 2007.  I paid $239 for it (should have made it 240 to match the model number).  Good luck in your quest.

Same...took quite a long time for me to find one too, and they are pricey (I paid $349).  It seems that once someone finds one, they tend to hold onto them.  However, I wouldn't give up hope.  I'm sure some of these are just sitting around without much use and their owner may decide its time to part with it. ?

• Like 3

@Stephen I really like that receiver.  Must look great with the lights turned off.

Mine actually sits in the lower shelf of my stereo cab.  It's connected to the receiver (1980's Technics SA-202).  For game nights, I add my SONY 13" CRT to the mix.  The turntable is a Technics SL-23 (1976) and the tape deck is a Technics RS-M56 (1979).

AV.jpg

• Like 5

I wouldn't mind getting one of these in the future as well. But honestly it would only be shelf piece as I do not own a stereo setup and all of my music is played digitally or from my large CD collection through my blu-ray player.

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Here's mine sitting on top of a Sansui 7070 receiver (I think the receiver is from 1976 making it 2 years older than the AVM).

Cropped.thumb.jpg.5d3b580c3eadc572876e7f144b28961e.jpg

My brother-in-law has that receiver model and it is sweet.  He has it running through his original Sansui speakers and it sounds as good today as it did in the 70's.

• Like 2

Here’s what my new c-240 is matching to in my collection. All mid-late ‘70s spec. I think it’ll fit in nicely. That scope which I was using as my ‘visualizer’ is glowing hot vacuum tube driven and from the mid ‘60s. 

EEB3330D-BB1E-49FF-A250-F0AECE7E9D0A.jpeg

Edited by YSG2020
  • Like 6

And this is what I listen to the music from when I need it a bit louder than those old headphones… 100 watts of raw pure analog earth shaking old school power. I’ll post photos of my dedicated ‘Atari room’  shrine that is still under construction hopefully soon… 

35813712-8BB6-428C-9BA0-6E42317B23F7.jpeg

Edited by YSG2020
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I've been looking for one for 15+ years.  They do pop up from time to time but they're usually go for way more than I'm willing to pay. 

They are pricey...no doubt.  There are a couple on eBay now.  The cheaper of the two is asking $450, but accepting offers.  That is quite a bit of $$.  

22 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

They are pricey...no doubt.  There are a couple on eBay now.  The cheaper of the two is asking $450, but accepting offers.  That is quite a bit of $$.  

Yeah my limit is around $200.  They're neat and all, but I doubt I would use it much.  It's more of a 'once in a great while' kind of toy.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Yeah my limit is around $200.  They're neat and all, but I doubt I would use it much.  It's more of a 'once in a great while' kind of toy.

Completely agree with you on the price. They are not worth more than a few hundred bucks max. But, unfortunately they are quite rare, very unique, and one of Atari’s very first retail offerings from their early glory years. I think the ultimate unicorn unobtanium prize would have to be a working Computer Space cabinet, an Atari Mind Link Controller, or a 1400xl series proto. 

Edited by YSG2020
  • Like 1

The c-240 I think is an important piece of history that serves as a consumer electronics segway bridge from analog to digital products that existed simultaneously during the ‘70s as the former then disappeared, only to make a resurgence now as we start to realize some of the limitations of digital and lost forgotten benefits of the real analog world around us. 

Edited by YSG2020
  • Like 1