IGNORED

Minotaur (was TankMaze) (homebrew WIP)

vdub_bobby

12 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

Played last PAL60 version (by now 8 hours ago): green tank (still) without animation, sorry. Here’s an actual screenshot of it:

IMG_0688.jpeg

When you say green, do you mean the top right tank? 

Thanks

-Bob

On 8/9/2024 at 11:10 PM, Bomberman94 said:

Yes, on the right the green in the middle. It always looks the same - it doesn’t change. 

Thanks for giving it a close look!  So actually, that isn't a tank, it's a "maze" icon.  It indicates the variation you have selected.  :D

So it isn't supposed to move.  

image.thumb.png.918ab8d86a08ec50359136abb1b759e0.png

image.thumb.png.1c0bc67bc2e5f8be4ace6c6f0a963015.png

• Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 11:17 AM, Piledriver said:

Pretty fun game!  One suggestion, maybe with a quick tap you could change direction without committing to moving a full tile?

I played with that method of moving but in the end I went with full-tile movement.  Good suggestion though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2024 at 7:01 AM, vdub_bobby said:

Thanks!

Made some minor updates:

• Updated music code so I have a finer gradient of volumes to play with
  • Tweaked volumes of music
  • Fixed bug where music didn't always start on the downbeat when you jumped to the title screen

Also put the game on my trusty Kroc Cart and spent about 30-45 minutes play testing.  Didn't see any bugs, and feel like the gameplay is solid.  I think I'm done fiddling with the music, so unless any bug fixes are required, this is the final ROM 🤞 

😎

Minotaur NTSC.bin 8 kB · 51 downloads Minotaur PAL60.bin 8 kB · 15 downloads Minotaur.asm 252.99 kB · 8 downloads

I've noticed that both the NTSC and PAL60 versions crop off the top half of the scoreline in the Retroarch version of Stella. This didn't happen with older "Tank Maze" versions (the one pictured here is dated 14 July 2023).

No amount of fiddling with settings, eg switching off "Crop Overscan", makes any difference.

Minotaur NTSC-240827-140919.png

TankMaze-240827-140821.png

16 minutes ago, BobAtari said:

No amount of fiddling with settings, eg switching off "Crop Overscan", makes any difference.

You can use "Vertical center" in the "Game properties".

But in general a game should not need this. Stella is quite tolerant here, but in this case the screen definitely starts too early. Most likely it will not display properly on real hardware too.

EDIT: Seems to be a Retroarch problem. On my PC everything displays.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You can use "Vertical center" in the "Game properties".

Sadly there's no such option in the Retroarch version (lr-stella2014), however I see it runs fine in the "native" Stella on Retropie, so I can just use that.

9 hours ago, Albert said:

I didn't notice any issues running the game on real hardware using a Commodore 1702.

..Al

I also haven't seen any issues running on my 4 switch on an big flatscreen TV.  Haven't tested a lot of different hardware configurations, though, and haven't run it on my little CRT.  I'll test it out a little more broadly, but please let me know if anything looks odd on real hardware.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Minotaur will be makings its debut at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this weekend!

---

2897, OCTOBER 1 - DAY OF WEEPING

A vast fleet of dark battle cruisers appeared in the sky and drained fire on a peaceful, defenseless Earth.  What is left of humanity has gone underground where the survivors put their hope in MINOTAUR - humanity's final defense.  For if the Klein converter is destroyed, there will be no stopping the alien onslaught...

The object of the game is to defend the glowing Klein converter from enemies. Tanks will attack, three at a time. Destroy all tanks to advance to the next level.

Protect the Klein converter at all costs! You have an endless supply of MINOTAUR tanks to defend the Klein converter, though each time your tank is killed, it will take longer to regenerate. The only way to lose is for the Klein converter to be vaporized by cannon fire. It is better to sacrifice your tank than to lose the game.

The maze can be destroyed by cannon fire, but will be regenerated between levels. However – the walls are helpful in setting an ambush and protecting the Klein converter – don't shoot them indiscriminately! Power-ups provide a burst of speed, but they will be destroyed if struck by cannon fire, so grab them quickly!

2600_Minotaur_Render_Boxes.jpg

MinotaurNTSC_12.png.c79cc7ca2fa4a13613845507959bad19.png

MinotaurNTSC_18.png.643ec2906c901a82a37536994545fae3.png

MinotaurNTSC_33.png.e50d2b5883cb6ff091051df2971e7bb1.png

MinotaurNTSC_49.png.9b2821350475d08de10e21b15a84596d.png

Minotaur will be available online in the AtariAge store this fall!

..Al

• Like 4