IGNORED

Minotaur (was TankMaze) (homebrew WIP)

vdub_bobby

Picked this up again after so, so long.  Frame rate is really sloppy.

Using git for version control, so latest published source will always be here: vdub-bobby/tankmaze (github.com)

Aiming for a very loose port of Tank Battalion.  

Control player tank with joystick, press RESET to start and cycle through mazes.

Updates since I last posted anything (10 years ago, oof)

• Enemy tank movement routines are ... working (I think)
  • Enemy tanks appear one at a time
  • You can shoot enemy tanks and they will disappear  ?

Earlier dev notes are in my blog.

TankMaze_5.png

TankMaze.asm TankMaze.bin

• Like 17

Update: updated enemy movement routines, fixed graphic anomaly when enemy tanks entered from top of screen, and made it so enemy tanks shoot.

Still have some kind of bug in the enemy tank movement routine, shows up pretty consistently on maze F2, the middle tank gets hung up briefly right after entering the maze.  Haven't tracked that down yet.

• Like 2

UPDATE: spread maze generation routine over multiple frames so scanline count is steady.  Still have issues during gameplay, especially when multiple objects are on screen and especially when the player tank is near the top of the screen.  Also reduced the height of the maze by one row.

Hadn't noticed this one before. Great that you have picked it up again - it looks really promising.

I love the tank chains animation, but wonder if you could shorten the main tank body by one line on each side, so that the chains would stand out a bit? That could reduce the current overall square appearance of the sprites.

I'm also impressed that all 4 sprites seem to be horizontally bi-colored!

Where do you want to push this gameplay-wise? A port/interpretation of one of those early tank battle arcade games (such as Tank Battalion on No Man's Land) would be great, but one could also see the potential for a 4 player game using Quadtari :)

On 2/20/2022 at 2:31 AM, r_type2600 said:

Hadn't noticed this one before. Great that you have picked it up again - it looks really promising.

I love the tank chains animation, but wonder if you could shorten the main tank body by one line on each side, so that the chains would stand out a bit? That could reduce the current overall square appearance of the sprites.

I'm also impressed that all 4 sprites seem to be horizontally bi-colored!

Where do you want to push this gameplay-wise? A port/interpretation of one of those early tank battle arcade games (such as Tank Battalion on No Man's Land) would be great, but one could also see the potential for a 4 player game using Quadtari :)

Thanks for the kind words!

The tank sprites are created by displaying a player graphic one frame and then displaying a square using the missile objects the next frame.  So I don't think I can quite accomplish your idea for an adjustment, though I'm not sure I completely understand.  Can you mock it up and post a pic?  

For gameplay, I was not intending to support multiple players, though that is an interesting idea.  I do love multiplayer games.  It wouldn't really fit my intended theme, and may not fit in the code size I'm aiming for, but I don't know - it might be too awesome to leave out!  ?

UPDATES:

Added fractional movement for all tanks.

Fiddled with the timer to bring new tanks onscreen.

Fixed a bug with the diagonal handling for the player-controlled tank (and introduced another).

Added a "tanks remaining" graphic in the lower right that counts down from 20.

moved code and data around to stay under 4K. Probably some other stuff.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Almost a game now.

Changes:

Added a title screen, going with a tentative name of Minotaur

Fiddled a bunch with the maze-generation routine and fixed some bugs. 

Enemy tanks can now shoot each other, and you.  ?

Also tightened up some of the subroutines and reduced the jitter/screenrolls at least a little.  Special thanks to @Omegamatrix for very slick divide-by-seven routine.  ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing TankMaze on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

After Dark:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 3

Cool!  Hope you have fun ?

UPDATES:

* biggest change is the player-controlled tank can now only change direction at an intersection, like the enemy tanks.  

* fixed tank movement jitter when moving straight through an intersection (though this reintroduces bug where enemy tanks sometimes reverse direction*)

* made small adjustments to player and enemy tank speeds

* bunch of data re-arranging to make ROM more compact

* replaced modulo-7 looping code with faster, constant-cycle non-looping routine (using same fancy divide-by-seven routine I mentioned above)

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 9:24 PM, vdub_bobby said:

Cool!  Hope you have fun ?

On 3/24/2022 at 9:26 PM, vdub_bobby said:

Also just noticed your mocked up label lol ( ՞ٹ՞)

Thanks so much Bob, we did have fun playing the game. Thank you so much for making it and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

When a game I'm going to play on the show doesn't have a label, I usually whip one up and sometimes I have a decent idea for it! Hahah

- James

1738524327_TankMaze.thumb.png.0c5075cfb87a84d82d0d11785a3517f2.png

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:

• Fixed (?) enemy tank movement routines so they don't go through walls or reverse directions except when necessary
  • You will now die if you run into an enemy tank
  • changed score font to something more military-ish
  • added title-screen fanciness... still WIP
  • EDIT to add: also working on stabilizing scanline count and getting it down to something closer to the standard.  Right now is fairly stable at 271 scanlines.

Edited by vdub_bobby
  • Like 6

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing TankMaze on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

WATCH AT 1080p60 FOR BEST QUALITY

51 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Hi. The name of the game is "Golf 2600" to differentiate from the "Golf" game Atari released. Thanks for playing my game.

Hi Chris! Thanks for the clarification. I've updated it in the listings and the graphic promo for the stream tomorrow. Looking forward to playing it!

43 minutes ago, vdub_bobby said:

Updates:

• Some bug fixes around enemy tank respawns
  • Cleaned up level transitions
  • Fiddled with enemy AI / movement routines
  • # of enemy tanks to kill starts lower and increases (to maximum of 20) over the first 5 levels or so

Thanks for playing :)

Awesome, thank you for the update Bob, I'll use the new version on the stream tomorrow! 🙂 Time to blow up some enemy tanks!

- James