IGNORED

Dracula (Unreleased game)

retroillucid

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Well, you can always do your own version...

Hehaaa!  I do love a Smartass answer.

Not to speak for youki,  but I think there was a compliment hidden in that post somewhere.

The game looks Fantastic!  I, too think it looks much nicer than what would have been released BITD.  Are you using advanced programming techniques to accomplish this?  Just curious.

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

Are you using advanced programming techniques to accomplish this?  Just curious.

There's no advanced programming techniques or special hardware being used.
Just pushing the hardware limitations to the top.  
The game is going to run on a plain vanilla Colecovision system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, imstarryeyed said:

Is there any chance of getting that old screenshot in the game itself, it would be such a fun way to tie back to the original concept.. immortalized!

Oh, it's still in there :)
We just improved over the original concept 

From Left to Right:  Original mockup recreation I did awhile back, our first attempt, the final result

Image40.png

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

I love the improved graphics, but if you're going to go that route, may I suggest altering the name as well, like maybe "Dracula's Mansion" or something like that, just to make the game truly your own?  :)

Yeah, we did put a subtitle.
Anyway, we still base all our works off the mockup and game description

Even Jennell Jaquays (former CV game designer) herself like what we are doing with it

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Hehaaa!  I do love a Smartass answer.

Not to speak for youki,  but I think there was a compliment hidden in that post somewhere.

The game looks Fantastic!  I, too think it looks much nicer than what would have been released BITD.  Are you using advanced programming techniques to accomplish this?  Just curious.

It was not an Hidden compliment.  It was a real Compliment.  and i will buy that game right away when released.  It is probably the most beautiful art i have seen on Colecovision.

But what i wanted to say  ,  it is just that it does not feel  as a colecovision's vaporware that would finally be released.    As Collectorvision did with the excellent  Rip Cord for instance.    

It is not a criticism.?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, youki said:

But what i wanted to say  ,  it is just that it does not feel  as a colecovision's vaporware that would finally be released.    

Saying this is exactly like if I was saying our version looks exactly how Coleco would have made it.

We both don't have a clue how it would have look in the end, cause Dracula never went into design stage (confirmed by Jennell Jaquays)

The only thing that was made is the pantone color mockup along with a short game description (Dracula flyer)

When even a former Colecovision game/graphic designer (and in charge of many original CV games) is saying that she really heart this so much, then my guess is we are doing the right thing with Dracula 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, retroillucid said:

Oh, it's still in there :)
We just improved over the original concept 

From Left to Right:  Original mockup recreation I did awhile back, our first attempt, the final result

Image40.png

looks wonderful! it appears you did black & white mono dithered to start then added the colour afterwards.

• Like 1

While I admit I love the original flat color aesthetic in the original mockup and would have preferred a recreation of that, there's no denying what we're actually getting is a next level production. It would be interesting to see the same "technique" applied to the Sword and the Sorcerer and Tunnels & Trolls.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

While I admit I love the original flat color aesthetic in the original mockup and would have preferred a recreation of that, there's no denying what we're actually getting is a next level production. It would be interesting to see the same "technique" applied to the Sword and the Sorcerer and Tunnels & Trolls.

Yes

We want to use the very same techniques for Tunnels & Trolls, wich we are going to do after we are done with Dracula :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, youki said:

But what i wanted to say  ,  it is just that it does not feel  as a colecovision's vaporware that would finally be released.    As Collectorvision did with the excellent  Rip Cord for instance.    

Just so you know, the first design of Smurf Rescue was way more detailed than the final version, and I'm not talking about the mockups from the flyers.
No, from an actual design sheet Jennell gave me for my Coleco Documentary

Why was it toned down then?
Space limitation, and probably time constraint 

By 1984, Coleco artists could do so much more with the ADAM
It would just have been a matter of wich artist would have worked on Dracula in 1984/85 
Because even as the first screen I did, it would have been impossible to do using a 32K cartridge

16 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

could you share a picture of the before colorization, the bw with dithering? or better yet a bw version and then with the added color

Sure

Here's what we've planned: 

PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS

Problem: 
ColecoVision can only display 2 colors per scanline ( 8x8 tiles) for backgrounds

Solution: 
Start using only black and white, then add the colors afterwards. 
This way, we'll be able to draw super detailed backgrounds.

Problem: 
ColecoVision can display 32 sprites on-screen, but can only display 4 sprites on the same scanline without having any flickering 

Solution: 
Never (or only if required) have any other sprites on the same scanline as the main character 
I.E: Dracula will never appear on the same scanline as the main character. 
Same goes for Butterflies, Flies, objects, items etc...
We can even add animated celling fan, light fixture, etc...     
This way, we are going to be able to use multi-colored sprites on-screen. 

Before and After.png

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Should we use the original planned boxart or should we do a brand new one?

My idea was to use to original boxart and make an alternate cover sleeve

Thoughts?

I'd like to see an original (new) cover art. The original mockup style didn't really match other releases of the era and didn't look particularly good in my opinion. I think considering the theme and the fact that the game's style is significantly different from the original game mockup, you'd be doing a disservice to the development in my opinion not commissioning something similarly impressive (and perhaps not quite done before) considering the buzz that's been generated for the new game so far. 

• Like 4