IGNORED

New 4 Intellivision CDs (Pandora Incident, Sea Venture, Robot Army, HELI)

Nyuundere

On 3/23/2022 at 4:26 PM, DZ-Jay said:

I do not mind publishing the songs at all.  I was actually thinking of providing a ROM with all the songs in a jukebox program, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'll leave it to @Nyuundere to upload to YouTube if he wishes. :)

Credit to me would be nice, but I wouldn't fight over it.  (It would make me sad, though.)

-dZ.

A player for the Intellivision would be awesome.

Got the CDs, @Nyuundere! Thank you!

My favorite tracks in each CD:

Sea Venture:

Tainted Love remix by DZ-Jay: very impressive work, well done!

Infiltrator:

I will have to go with "Deploy" (ECS) which is my favorite Nyuundere track of all time.

"Keep you waiting" is the best NES track.

Robot Army:

"Brief" (NES) is my favorite. Reminded me of the great introduction graphics made by @Black_Tiger for this upcoming game.

The Pandora Incident:

While all the NES tracks are awesome, I'm still a sucker for the original ECS version of "The Pandora Incident (Title music)". That track perfectly sets the mood for the game.

H.E.L.I.:

"Deep in the abyss" (NES) is fantastic, by far the best in this CD.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Sea Venture:

Infiltrator:

I will have to go with "Deploy" (ECS) which is my favorite Nyuundere track of all time.

Robot Army:

"Brief" (NES) is my favorite. Reminded me of the great introduction graphics made by @Black_Tiger for this upcoming game.

The Pandora Incident:

While all the NES tracks are awesome, I'm still a sucker for the original ECS version of "The Pandora Incident (Title music)". That track perfectly sets the mood for the game.

H.E.L.I.:

Wonderful, a lot of CDs has arrived this week, is awesome, and they took less than 14 days to reach his destiny.

10 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Sea Venture:

Thanks for the kind words.  I am immensely proud of that one -- it took me almost three weeks to do, mostly because I had to get re-acquainted with the tracker (I am not a musician, and just barely a programmer), but also because I tried very hard to simulate the original style and feel of the song from Soft-Cell.  I also kept re-tracking the patterns as I figured out how to reproduce the cool shuffle of the drums.

Spoiler

The trick:  3/4 time on drums & percussion, 4/4 time on all instruments; which means note lengths of 12 rows per beat (3 * 4 = 12), which turns into 48 rows per pattern or measure (12 * 4 = 48).

To keep the song moving briskly, I had to set the song speed to 1 (or 2 ticks per row).

The drum sounds themselves took some effort on their own.  It turns out that the secret to a cool synthpop snare from the 80s is the heavy reverb effect on those cheesy electronic drum machines.  I managed to get a close approximation by sustaining the noise at a mid-low volume and decaying it very slowly.  I nice "handclap" was done very similarly but with different noise frequencies and a jaggedy attack to give it a bit of a "crunch" sound.

I used the following resource on how to reproduce old analog drum machine sounds with modern software and hardware.  Of course our venerable AY-3-8914 doesn't have much capabilities, but it has enough of what counts.

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-to-recreate-classic-analogue-drum-sounds-in-your-daw-and-with-hardware

Infiltrator:

Robot Army:

The Pandora Incident:

H.E.L.I.:

I can't wait to get my copies! :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

39 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Thanks for the kind words.  I am immensely proud of that one -- it took me almost three weeks to do, mostly because I had to get re-acquainted with the tracker (I am not a musician, and just barely a programmer), but also because I tried very hard to simulate the original style and feel of the song from Soft-Cell.  I also kept re-tracking the patterns as I figured out how to reproduce the cool shuffle of the drums.

Reveal hidden contents

The trick:  3/4 time on drums & percussion, 4/4 time on all instruments; which means note lengths of 12 rows per beat (3 * 4 = 12), which turns into 48 rows per pattern or measure (12 * 4 = 48).

To keep the song moving briskly, I had to set the song speed to 1 (or 2 ticks per row).

The drum sounds themselves took some effort on their own.  It turns out that the secret to a cool synthpop snare from the 80s is the heavy reverb effect on those cheesy electronic drum machines.  I managed to get a close approximation by sustaining the noise at a mid-low volume and decaying it very slowly.  I nice "handclap" was done very similarly but with different noise frequencies and a jaggedy attack to give it a bit of a "crunch" sound.

I used the following resource on how to reproduce old analog drum machine sounds with modern software and hardware.  Of course our venerable AY-3-8914 doesn't have much capabilities, but it has enough of what counts.

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-to-recreate-classic-analogue-drum-sounds-in-your-daw-and-with-hardware

Your great drum sounds made me wonder what you could do if you ever approached the song below...

If you ever get to it, I may be forced to build the rest of the game... I could never let that song go to waste  ;-)

19 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Your great drum sounds made me wonder what you could do if you ever approached the song below...

If you ever get to it, I may be forced to build the rest of the game... I could never let that song go to waste  ;-)

Wow, what a great song!

... must ... resist ... must ... resist ... must ... awww, who am I kidding!

The problem is that I am not a musician; I guess I'm more of a "producer" or "recording engineer" ... so if some kind soul out there would be interested in tracking the notes for me (something like IntyBASIC format is great, but any notation is fine), I could give it the "Intellivision Remix" treatment.  :)

Other than that, it may take me forever-and-a-day to reverse-engineer the notes from the video, and I really already have many other projects to procrastinate on.  :)

So, if any of our great musicians out there (@Nyuundere, I'm looking squarely your way ... :twisted:) wants to collaborate, send me a PM.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

Wow, what a great song!

... must ... resist ... must ... resist ... must ... awww, who am I kidding!

The problem is that I am not a musician; I guess I'm more of a "producer" or "recording engineer" ... so if some kind soul out there would be interested in tracking the notes for me (something like IntyBASIC format is great, but any notation is fine), I could give it the "Intellivision Remix" treatment.  :)

Other than that, it may take me forever-and-a-day to reverse-engineer the notes from the video, and I really already have many other projects to procrastinate on.  :)

So, if any of our great musicians out there (@Nyuundere, I'm looking squarely your way ... :twisted:) wants to collaborate, send me a PM.

-dZ.

Sure. I can do the track without drums easily. I'll PM you when the track is ready.

17 minutes ago, Nyuundere said:

Sure. I can do the track without drums easily. I'll PM you when the track is ready.

Cool, but don't rush.  My wife will kill me if I commit three-weeks for another track so soon! :-o

By the way, go all out, and track in 6 channels if you want -- the more depth, the merrier.  :)

-dZ.

40 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Cool, but don't rush.  My wife will kill me if I commit three-weeks for another track so soon! :-o

By the way, go all out, and track in 6 channels if you want -- the more depth, the merrier.  :)

-dZ.

I will take my time because I took vacations next Saturday ?

• Like 1

Got my CDs today!  Woo-hoo!

I'm going through the pain of importing them into my iTunes collection right now.  I can't wait to hear them.

I love how the compact-disc itself looks like a little vinyl record.  Great stuff!

-dZ.

• Like 2

I just finished cataloguing the songs from all @Nyuundere's CDs.  Wow! There's a lot of good stuff there!

I was very impressed by the Melody Runner soundtrack.  Like the Sea Venture one, it's packed with classics from the 1980s.  Had I known about it I would ... er ... I'd like to think I would have offered to make remixes for them, but ... my wife would have killed me, and @Nyuundere would have still be waiting on me! :-o

Anyway, perhaps a project for another day.  Personally, I would also like to give the remix treatment to the Sydney Hunter songs.  Those are some of my favourites from @nyuundere's entire repertoire -- especially after hearing his acoustic guitar renditions included in the "Definitive Soundtrack" CD.  Wowza!  That's some beautiful music!

-dZ.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 10:02 PM, cmadruga said:

Sea Venture:

Infiltrator:

Robot Army:

The Pandora Incident:

H.E.L.I.:

I received a copy of all of @Nyuundere's CDs, including his back-catalogue.  As part of incorporating them into my music collection, I rated each track and added any additional metadata.  Below are my favorites from each CD.  I was surprised to find how closely they align with @cmadruga's above.

H.E.L.I:

"Deep In The Abyss" (NES)

I have to agree that, although I tend to like the sounds of the PSG better, the NES version has more depth and feels more somber with its slower tempo.  I really like it. :)

Infiltrator:

"Deploy" (ECS)

Once again, I agree with @cmadruga that it is the best track of the CD, although I disagree that it's @Nyuundere's best of all time.  I'll assign that honor further down.

Mecha OST:

"Running For The Plains" (PSG)

Actually it was a close call between this track and "Maximum Engine Power" (PSG), but I had to give it to the former because the melody, although perhaps not as catchy and infectious, has a touch of melancholy which pulls my heartstrings.

Melody Runner:

"Sweet" & "Prayer"

It's a toss up between @Nyuundere's renditions of Guns N' Roses "Sweet Child Of Mine" and Bon Jovi's "Livin' On A Prayer."  I was never much of a fan of rock music (I was always more into Italo Disco and other dance genres in the 1980s), but these two tracks are very well made and impressed me.  The entire CD is full of recognizable 1980's classics, but even if you never really cared for these particular songs back in the day (like me), the sheer nostalgia they evoke is enough to make the experience of listening a pleasant trip through time.

The Pandora Incident:

"The Pandora Incident (Title Music)" (Intellivision)

Once again I have to agree with @cmadruga that the title track is the best of the bunch, although "Mission (In-Game Music)" (Intellivision) is a very close second.  Contrary to @cmadruga I find all the Intellivision tracks superior to the NES ones (the instrument sounds seem more nuanced and pleasant to me).

Robot Army:

"Robot Army (Title Music)" (Intellivision)

The title track and the level music, "The Only Good Robot Is A Dead Robot (Level Music)" (Intellivision), are both very good, but I gave a little nudge to the former because it has a bit more complexity than the latter, which ultimately is merely incidental music for the game.  And once again, I find that the PSG tracks are superior to the NES in sound quality.

Sea Venture:

"Tainted Love (Remix)"

Hands down my favorite remix of all -- and that's even before considering my own personal bias. ;)  If I were to choose one of @Nyuundere's original tracks, it would have to be "Down Under."  My remix of that track is also one of my favorites, and perhaps a close second to the "Tainted Love" remix.

Sydney Hunter - Definitive Soundtrack:

"Finding The Island (Acoustic Bonus Track)" & "Mayan Dance" (Intellivision)

Going by the chiptunes, I have to say that the "Mayan Dance" for Intellivision is the best of the lot -- and the CD covers songs for all of Sydney Hunter's games across multiple consoles.  However, my heart goes to the acoustic bonus tracks -- three tracks beautifully played by @Nyuundere himself on a classic guitar, with such care and depth of feeling, they are sublime.  I can't stop listening to them on loop!  Of the three, the best is "Finding The Island"; every time I hear it, it makes me weep.  The Intellivision version is a very good rendition, but the PSG cannot hold a candle next to a guitar.

And there you have it.  If I had to pick one of those discs as my favorite, I'll say the "Sydney Hunter - Definitive Soundtrack," no contest.  A close second would be the "Sea Venture" soundtrack, because I could listen to those remixes all day long.  However, nothing can compare to those three beautiful acoustic guitar tracks.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2