IGNORED

Retro Fridays on VCS. Today’s release?

ColecoGamer

I think that they're giving us what they have without licensing issues. They now own those Microprose sims/strategy titles and are tapped out on 7800 Atari IP with the exceptions of Sentinel and Meltdown. I'd love to see the Namco, Nintendo and Williams  licenced games but doubt we will.

Maybe some Atari 8-bit, Lynx or Hasbro-era PS1 games could be released?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

I wonder if they still have the rights to those old Playstation 1 games? I'd actually be down for maybe buying those for the VCS.

If you're referring to the Hasbro remakes of Pong, Centipede, Breakout, and Missile Command then yes, they do. They licensed them out for use on Piepacker. 

Other non-Atatri PS1 games such as Alone in the Dark, Glover, and 40 Winks (among others) are gone though.

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I wish they would rerelease the Yar’s Revenge rail shooter.

I have that one on Steam. I enjoy the surreal art style, even if it has nothing to do with the source material. The Facebook game they had back in 2011 was a nice evolution of the original game. I played that one a lot when it was available. 

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Like 3

Yeah, the rail shooter had nothing in common but the name and the vaguely insectoid heroine, but I liked it a lot even so. Rail shooters are few and far between these days!

Never played the Facebook game. Sorry I missed it! I am hoping for a Yars' Revenge Recharged.

I'd love to see the PS1 games re-released too. They weren't perfect, but they were pretty fun. Who owns the Asteroids remake that Activision published?

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 2:51 PM, bugcatcher88 said:

If you're referring to the Hasbro remakes of Pong, Centipede, Breakout, and Missile Command then yes, they do. They licensed them out for use on Piepacker. 

Other non-Atatri PS1 games such as Alone in the Dark, Glover, and 40 Winks (among others) are gone though.

I have that one on Steam. I enjoy the surreal art style, even if it has nothing to do with the source material. The Facebook game they had back in 2011 was a nice evolution of the original game. I played that one a lot when it was available. 

Nice on the Piepacker news! Surely that means it could come to the VCS you'd think.

10 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

This is my biggest frustration with these.   We often do not know what is coming and then there are days like this with nothing.   

I believe Atari chose not to release another "war" game out of respect with what is going on in Ukraine. They didn't have a back up plan, so that is why there is no release today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

I believe Atari chose not to release another "war" game out of respect with what is going on in Ukraine. They didn't have a back up plan, so that is why there is no release today.

Yes, this is what was reported by the@BrutallyHonestGamer on last night's Atari Weekly Podcast. 

On 2/20/2022 at 6:06 AM, jgkspsx said:

Yeah, the rail shooter had nothing in common but the name and the vaguely insectoid heroine, but I liked it a lot even so. Rail shooters are few and far between these days!

Never played the Facebook game. Sorry I missed it! I am hoping for a Yars' Revenge Recharged.

I'd love to see the PS1 games re-released too. They weren't perfect, but they were pretty fun. Who owns the Asteroids remake that Activision published?

I loved that Asteroids game on the PS1. All those Atari games from the PS1 era were done by what was then Infogrames, before they changed their name to Atari.

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

When is there ever a war not going on? When the Iraq/Afghanistan wars were going on that didn't stop Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and others from continually pumping out war games that are a lot more violent and realistic than whatever Atari had planned to put out.

52 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

When is there ever a war not going on? When the Iraq/Afghanistan wars were going on that didn't stop Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and others from continually pumping out war games that are a lot more violent and realistic than whatever Atari had planned to put out.

Sega planned to release Propeller Arena in 2001, but canceled it after 9/11 because you could fly your plane into buildings. You could argue Atari is overthinking this, but playing it safe isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nall3k said:

Sega planned to release Propeller Arena in 2001, but canceled it after 9/11 because you could fly your plane into buildings. You could argue Atari is overthinking this, but playing it safe isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What that tells me is they only had a week to get these games ready for the store. They should've already have other games in the queue ready to go as backup. 

• Like 1

Is there a single person in Ukraine that owns an Atari VCS?  Hold on a second, I am supposed to believe that all the Ukrainian VCS owners in between shooting at Russian Soldiers find time to turn on their VCS consoles with backup generators, natch, connect to the Internet somehow and see that this week's Flashback Friday game is a Sid Meyer War Game from 1986 and think to themselves how insensitive Atari is to their plight?????  Really?!?  So Sony and Microsoft have shutdown COD for the next week out of an abundance of sensitivity?   

Edited by VectorDreams
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, VectorDreams said:

Is there a single person in Ukraine that owns an Atari VCS?  Hold on a second, I am supposed to believe that all the Ukrainian VCS owners in between shooting at Russian Soldiers find time to turn on their VCS consoles with backup generators, natch, connect to the Internet somehow and see that this week's Flashback Friday game is a Sid Meyer War Game from 1986 and think to themselves how insensitive Atari is to their plight?????  Really?!?  So Sony and Microsoft have shutdown COD for the next week out of an abundance of sensitivity?   

I think it's about PROMOTING something at this moment, war related, called "War in Europe", as an.........actual war breaks out in Europe. Whatever we think, we all know that some in media would latch on and perceive such a move as insensitive, and while I don't know everything I am positive Atari is hell bent to avoid any bad PR. We could argue all day about how broad the attention would be, but I do think it would be there. I can see the Twitter comments now. And honestly I do think Sony and Microsoft would be just as cagey about promoting something like that right now, especially if this conflict spirals. 

• Like 3

I personally have zero interest in these DOS war games, so I am fine with them not releasing more. :) These are gonna be really hard for me to force myself to make a video on and buy; not real ok with the price per DOS game and these kind of games have always felt more like learning technical manuals than trying to play a video game...

• Like 1