IGNORED

Retro Fridays on VCS. Today’s release?

ColecoGamer

13 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

I loved that Asteroids game on the PS1. All those Atari games from the PS1 era were done by what was then Infogrames, before they changed their name to Atari.

I'm pretty sure Hasbro bought Atari from JTS corp during the PS1 era and had these games made. After they had finished milking Atari for all they thought it was worth, they sold it to Infogrames...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

When is there ever a war not going on? When the Iraq/Afghanistan wars were going on that didn't stop Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and others from continually pumping out war games that are a lot more violent and realistic than whatever Atari had planned to put out.

Tell that to Atari...

22 hours ago, tripled79 said:

I'm pretty sure Hasbro bought Atari from JTS corp during the PS1 era and had these games made. After they had finished milking Atari for all they thought it was worth, they sold it to Infogrames...

This is correct. The PS1 games from 1999 to 2001 were published by Hasbro-Era Atari. These included Centipede, Breakout, Pong: The Next Level, and Missile Command. They also did Q*Bert and The Next Tetris under their Atari label. For whatever steange reason, they stuck with Hasbro Interactive for the two Frogger games.

Earlier PS1 games like Tempest X³ (Interplay)  Asteroids and Battlezone (Activision), were made before Hasbro's acquisition under license from Atari/JTS.

Infogrames acquired Atari in 2001 and rebranded the company as Atari in 2003.

21 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Oh that's right, I keep forgetting their short little stint with Hasbro. I'm surprised a bigger entity hasn't purchased the Atari name by now.

26 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Nope nothing released again this Friday I’m afraid. 

I wouldn't be to concerned.

There's a native 2600 emulator in the next OS update.

The upcoming ATARI XP games will be available for DL from the VCS store; Yars' Returns has had visual and gameplay enhancements, so looking forward to those.

I imagine they'll start putting Ziggurat games on DosBox soon (which they announced in an email).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Is there anything other than war games? 

Check-out Ziggurat games website.

4th and Inches, amongst others, were mentioned in an email sent to VCS owners regarding DosBox games.

I imagine they'll resume releases soon.

ATARI also mentioned more 7800 games were coming; what they intend to release remains to be seen.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1

I don’t really mind to much that this is the 2nd week now with no releases mainly because I know Tempest is dropping soon along with other games but it does make me wonder why Atari couldn’t release a non war game for retro Friday, surely they must have some sort of other games on back up they could pick from just to get something out. 

• Like 3

On 3/5/2022 at 5:31 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I don’t really mind to much that this is the 2nd week now with no releases mainly because I know Tempest is dropping soon along with other games but it does make me wonder why Atari couldn’t release a non war game for retro Friday, surely they must have some sort of other games on back up they could pick from just to get something out. 

More importantly, just announce a release schedule.   Not that hard to do.  They definitely need more releases and better communication.   

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Gunther said:

I'm hoping they'll release some Ocean games on DosBox.

I wonder what they have left from Ocean Software. I know they sold some Ocean IP to Piko Interactive several years ago. I'm assuming they still have the copyrights to the licensed Ocean games such as Robocop and Jurassic Park, but I doubt those will ever get re-released by Atari (too expensive for them to license, I suppose).

On 3/8/2022 at 6:58 AM, bugcatcher88 said:

I wonder what they have left from Ocean Software. I know they sold some Ocean IP to Piko Interactive several years ago. I'm assuming they still have the copyrights to the licensed Ocean games such as Robocop and Jurassic Park, but I doubt those will ever get re-released by Atari (too expensive for them to license, I suppose).

Those Ocean games on the SNES had some awesome soundtracks.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:00 AM, swlovinist said:

More importantly, just announce a release schedule.   Not that hard to do.  They definitely need more releases and better communication.   

Although I’m disappointed they stopped doing retro fridays, at least we got Tempest 4K coming. Tempest 4K is the big one. They probably want all the attention on that this month and let it be as successful as it can possibly be.

Did anybody else notice the Plex app is no longer in the store on the VCS? I'm hoping it's just an issue based on the country I live in (Canada) and the deal with Plex hasn't collapsed. I've used Plex once so I'm not disappointed but more concerned especially considering the promised Atari Operating System update is nowhere to be seen.

Edited by swingstate

12 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Although I’m disappointed they stopped doing retro fridays, at least we got Tempest 4K coming. Tempest 4K is the big one. They probably want all the attention on that this month and let it be as successful as it can possibly be.

In all fairness, this game came out on Steam, Xbox One, and PS4 in 2018.  Playing it myself, I still prefer Tempest 2K.   It will sell a lot better on the Switch for sure, but will be nice to play with the classic controller.   At least we have a release date for the game.   

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

In all fairness, this game came out on Steam, Xbox One, and PS4 in 2018.  Playing it myself, I still prefer Tempest 2K.   It will sell a lot better on the Switch for sure, but will be nice to play with the classic controller.   At least we have a release date for the game.   

Yeah it's a few years old but that's their biggest third party title on the VCS so far. Sure you can get some of these games on other platforms and they will inevitably sell in bigger numbers, but to me it just feels right to play these games on the VCS with a proper joystick and spinner function. And yeah I agree, Tempest 2K will never be topped. But they need to get more AAA games on the VCS to start gaining some traction in the video game market. Kind of hard to hype up and announce launch dates for these little indie games. One of the indie games needs to hit a homerun on the system and be the killer app, that's the only way they can sustain interest and build the VCS ecosystem. Spirit of the Samurai could be the game, they need more like that on the VCS.

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, swlovinist said:

I doubt it has been stopped.

Seems that they were unloading the Sid Miers/Microprose catalogue; and then Russia invaded Ukraine.

I Imagine they're just getting the next update ready.

• Like 1

Very disappointed in Atari in dropping the ball on Flashback Fridays especially with the latest interview with Atari COO actually mentioning Flashback Fridays and they missed the first time then on the war game (not true btw) but then put nothing out for the next 3 weeks?  I thought I read somewhere there was going to be a Stella Emulator and a bunch of 2600 games coming back but I cannot find it now.  Very dissappointing.

• Like 2