IGNORED

Retro Fridays on VCS. Today’s release?

ColecoGamer

I think they have stopped the Flashback Fridays for the time being as the DosBox games they had planned to release where all war based but I feel they could have put out some other type of game unless they actually have nothing. On the release notes for the new VCS firmware update that came out a few days back it says that the Stella Emulator is built into the firmware and 2600 games are on the way so hopefully they can get Flashback Fridays up and running again with 2600 games. I’m just glad Tempest drops this week so I’ve something new to play on my VCS. 

55 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

It's puzzling why they would release 3 titles available to every VCS owner for free on the Vault.

Perhaps they realized this is not a good plan and decided to wait for licensing on another game instead.  I would certainly hope they would sell some of the excellent homebrews that have been created over the past couple decades.  That to me would be a much better plan than selling copies of games that we already have on the system for free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Why did they change Breakout and Adventure to look like silver box releases? 

According to Atariboxed.com, Adventure received a silver box release in New Zealand (maybe other countries too). I still like the original orange box more. The cover art fits the orange coloring better than the silver.

Website Link

8 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

puzzling why they would release 3 titles available to every VCS owner for free on the Vault

I don't understand why they started with 7800 games and are going backwards. Should've started with 2600 games and worked their way up. They should've the given us the rare Jaguar version of Breakout or any of the Atari games from the PS1 era would've been great.

Probably because they missed a few weeks of Flashback fridays and needed to get something out there fast to make a quick buck.

On 2/27/2022 at 5:01 PM, Djmicklovin said:

I'm surprised a bigger entity hasn't purchased the Atari name by now.

It is too expensive. Atari SA is valued at 71 million euro. 

It was a lot cheaper when Frederic Chesnais bought it, but of course, the reason why it was cheap then was that it was unsuccessful, and therefore seemed unattractive. It is a little strange that Warner didn´t pick them up, though. Maybe they just want to forget that brand. :) 

I don´t think a big gaming company is going to buy them until Atari has a much lower price to earnings ratio. Maybe when the blockchain fad fades.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

On 3/7/2022 at 10:58 PM, bugcatcher88 said:

I wonder what they have left from Ocean Software. I know they sold some Ocean IP to Piko Interactive several years ago. I'm assuming they still have the copyrights to the licensed Ocean games such as Robocop and Jurassic Park, but I doubt those will ever get re-released by Atari (too expensive for them to license, I suppose).

Here is a list containing some non-Atari games (including Ocean) owned by Atari (according to Wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_SA#Game_franchises_owned_by_Atari,_SA

And here is a list of Atari IP currently owned by Atari:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11oWssnYQrtPlUI-VtQ9YyqlXoZ42YSyn/view

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Here is a list containing some non-Atari games (including Ocean) owned by Atari (according to Wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_SA#Game_franchises_owned_by_Atari,_SA

And here is a list of Atari IP currently owned by Atari:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11oWssnYQrtPlUI-VtQ9YyqlXoZ42YSyn/view

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the old Ocean software revived. Some of the Ocean games on SNES had awesome soundtracks.

• Like 1

I know that I have been a critic of the Atari VCS.   I still though try to support the console, and buy frequent games.    I am however, baffled by the releases of the 2600 games.   I love the fact that 2600 are coming, but why release games(and try to charge for them) that are already FREE for VCS users?   This makes no sense.  Release games that are not already available.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m pretty much just buying them at this point to support Atari and because i like having them on the dashboard. I would love Atari to put out some 2600 games that aren’t already free in the vault and hopefully that happens soon. I will say I’d rather buy a bunch of these 2600 games even if I already own them over purchasing those recent DosBox games. 

1 hour ago, bugcatcher88 said:

Do you know how to toggle the A/B difficulty switches for these 2600 releases? 

Having them set to 'A' for Adventure makes the game harder but I don't know how to do that on these VCS releases.

That I haven’t worked out yet myself, I’ll need to have a check I actually forgot about difficulty switches on the 2600! Interesting… 

18 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

That I haven’t worked out yet myself, I’ll need to have a check I actually forgot about difficulty switches on the 2600! Interesting… 

So I found out that the A/B switches (and other functions) can be manipulated on a keyboard. I went to this page and looked at the keyboard controls. I wish they could've mapped them to other buttons on the modern controller. 

It's much more convenient for me to play Adventure in the Vault instead.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Gunther said:

As far as I'm aware, Yars' Returns has received a new title screen, graphical enhancements, and has been completely de-bugged.

I don't know about the other two-games', but I'd wager they too have received similar treatment.

I read this article a while ago and it made me curious about this new version of Yars' Return. I'll look into downloading the game from the VCS store. 

Edited by bugcatcher88

• 1 year later...

Looks like we got Circus Atari 2600 today for free! It didn't show up the way new releases normally do in the store however so you will need to search for it, thought id give everyone a heads up! The game is available in Vault 1 if i recall but this version has spinner support for the Classic joystick which I'm pretty sure the other version in the vault didn't.

Edited by Atari_JaguarVCS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1