IGNORED

Restored and repaired a Model 1 Genesis

ColecoGamer

I’ve been meaning to post this for a while.

A few years ago, I purchased a Model 1 Sega Genesis for $1 at a Flea market.

The seller said it functioned, but had trouble staying powered on.

Fast-forward a year or two later. I decided to investigate what the Genny’s issue was, and it ended up being a simple fix. The power plug’s solder joints were badly corroded, so I removed the bad joints and re-soldered them. 

I now have a fully functioning, Model 1 Sega Genesis. I’m not sure how the console was initially stored, but something corroded the solder joints on the power plug board.

507EC22E-2337-402A-AEEB-C93E45D47F34.thumb.jpeg.0ed8904f146e7ab95f2182a1b06ae2bf.jpeg

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

Seconded on both counts. Congrats on the new Genny. What role does this new console play in your collection?

It’ll be used with my Master System Power Base Convertor. Otherwise, I would have to modify the case on my Genny 2 to make my Master System Power Base Convertor fit, and I’m not up to butchering that console.

7 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

So, where's the Genesis port of Magician Master?  ~_^

https://www.sbasic.net/

I searched for some starter tutorials on  the above SDK using Google, and found very little on it. ? 

Edit: If so little information exists, how are people attempting to create their first game on the Genny? Are they using publicly available source code from current Genesis games, to get their projects up and running? I ask because I know nothing about SBasic Studio.

Edited by ColecoGamer

@ColecoGamer   Sorry.  Was a physical therapy day for me when you had questions.  Always pretty busy then.  Feel free to message me if you need help - or at least a direction to point to.  Not many people advocate for BASIC compilers so advice towards going that route is scarce.

Came up with more links than I thought I would.  Made it into a seperate topic!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I might consider using Game Maker to develop Magician Master. It will allow me to port it to the Atari VCS.

As for programming a game for the Genesis - I would love to. I know Basic programming and some C+, but not enough to write my own games. 

Before losing my brother a month ago, I was focused on learning Python too. Right now my attention span and passion has been limited.

Edited for mistakes

Edited by ColecoGamer