IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 15 Round 4 - Star Wars : The Arcade Game

DamonicFury

Welcome to the fourth round of the 15th 5200 HSC season!  Star Wars won the poll by a single vote.  Play using the default settings.  Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The high score was set by darthkur with a score of 11,065,749 points.  Beat this if you can for a bonus point! 

The ROM and manual can be found here: 

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=667

Round ends Sunday, March 6th, 2022 @9pm EST

Standings:

rubeon - 1,674,106

jeremiahjt - 489,090

mark griff - 474,438

bemis - 402,791

This game takes me back! I adored the arcade cabinet at our local Gold Mine. It cost 50¢ to play when everything else was a quarter, but I was willing to pony up for the sheer joy of getting murdered by TIE fighters ?

I remember being overwhelmed with joy at being able to play it at home for nothing!

27B93940-5E1C-4508-9FE2-59F427E5A831_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cd9148c8811fb4e7f60eb21c8c78085a.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rubeon said:

This game takes me back! I adored the arcade cabinet at our local Gold Mine. It cost 50¢ to play when everything else was a quarter, but I was willing to pony up for the sheer joy of getting murdered by TIE fighters ?

I remember being overwhelmed with joy at being able to play it at home for nothing!

27B93940-5E1C-4508-9FE2-59F427E5A831_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cd9148c8811fb4e7f60eb21c8c78085a.jpeg

I was another huge fan of the arcade game.  I was already a big Star Wars fan and it was simply the most immersive SW experience you could have back then.  Got the 2600 version for my birthday in 1984 and it wasn’t bad, but didn’t quite slake my thirst for “the real thing.”  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

190,440 for my first, and probably last, score.

Well I was wrong.  I decided to play again and scored 489,090.  I was really trying to get the 50,000 bonus points for taking out all the towers and I managed to do it on the second, third, and fifth waves.  In the manual it mentions using "The Force" to destroy the Death Star, is that just shooting the exhaust port or is there something else you can do?

19 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Well I was wrong.  I decided to play again and scored 489,090.  I was really trying to get the 50,000 bonus points for taking out all the towers and I managed to do it on the second, third, and fifth waves.  In the manual it mentions using "The Force" to destroy the Death Star, is that just shooting the exhaust port or is there something else you can do?

If you don't shoot anything else in the trench other than the exhaust port, that is considered "Using the Force" and you are granted a sizeable bonus each time.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:51 PM, DamonicFury said:

If you don't shoot anything else in the trench other than the exhaust port, that is considered "Using the Force" and you are granted a sizeable bonus each time.

I think I remember hearing that before. Do you have to hit the port on one shot or can you take multiple shots at it?

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

I think I remember hearing that before. Do you have to hit the port on one shot or can you take multiple shots at it?

Multiple shots are fine… if you haven’t fired until the exhaust port is visible, you should be good. 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations to rubeon on trashing the most TIEs, tagging the most towers, and blowing up the most battlestations.  

Final standings:

rubeon - 1,674,106  +11

jeremiahjt - 489,090  +10

mark griff - 474,438  +9

bemis - 402,791  +8