IGNORED

Joystick Configuration Problem (via adapter)

FP125

Hi, 

query please.  I only game via emulation, so have the Gamebase's for all the main systems and of course MAME as well.

Query may be simple - I have a CMS Super 8 joystick, it has a 15 pin adapter for old PC's.  I purchased a Mayflash 15 adapter which accepts the joystick but configuration is the problem.  All 4 joystick buttons work but direction is the problem.

It appears to only go up and left, although down and right are recognised - but just not in the required directions!  I tried Joystick Gremlin / VJoy and AntiMicro - trying to map the keyboard to the joystick, but the same trouble.

I am not technically minded but looking at some of the settings I can see when I move the joystick left and right or up and down, both values stay at minus figures (rather than full left -6000 / middle 0 / full right 6000+ for example)

Trouble is, unlike a comp pro with microswitches, this is a circuit board.  I have kept my finger pressed down on the board and they go in the direction required. 

Any ideas?  Is it worth trying to re-solder some wires to different parts of the circuit board?

Hope someone can help - even if it is to tell me to stop wasting my time and accept it's knackered lol

It may depend in the adaptor you are using, it sounds like your joystick is digital, either floating high or connecting to ground where as generally 15pin PC Gameports were for analogue inputs.

A quick look on the Mayflash website and the only adaptor that that would seem suitable says it support both analogue and digital modes, thus I would guess that it is currently in analogue mode and that if, as I presume from your post, your joystick is digital that would be the reason as to why the values are staying low and therefore preventing detection of the other two direction.

So if you have not already done so try configuring it in digital mode as see if that helps.