IGNORED

HSC19 (2022) R3: PAC-MAN

therealbountybob

not improved my score (Datasoft version) but having fun trying! If anyone else can compare difficulty re Datasoft to Atari Cart versions (with or without character names) please post.

R4 poll will start tomorrow as we go into the 2nd week of play here :)

first tables

PAC-MAN

1st   AtariSphinx                  174,980  12pts
  2nd   McKong                        150,830  11pts
  3rd   Deteacher                    127,790  10pts

4th   tompateus                  110,140  9pts
  5th   oyamafamily                101,680  9pts
  6th   Fres                           76,030  8pts
  7th   nads                           61,550  8pts
  8th   Gury                           61,520  7pts
  9th   therealbountybob          55,890  7pts
 10th   8BIT 1337                   54,800  6pts
 11th   chevymad                   44,690  6pts
 12th   MagicMarc-er               32,660  5pts
 13th   pusakat                      13,200  4pts
 14th   jblenkle                       11,070  3pts
 15th   Alicja (Caco Jr)             8,000  2pts :thumbsup:
 16th   Liliana (Caco Jr)            7,100  2pts :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Pac-Man (Homesoft version with the title screen and intermissions): 24680 pts

Not a particularly good score, but also nearly twice as much as I obtained playing the same version in Altirra, which goes to tell that real hardware or at least real controller is a must for me. Those of you who score high in the emulator probably don't use the default keyboard mapping, or else you're giving up 50% of your score by not playing on real hardware IMHO.

pac-man-24680.thumb.jpg.dbe6ab8fc17f06f4d3cfdc9100465180.jpg

• Like 3

First try. Been a busy week. Datasoft version.

869bdbef7dfd79cff07b54e4889cec86.jpg

I remember as a 12 year old my Dad being amazed I rocked 200000 points. This is a far cry from that and I think the stick was to blame!!!

I also know I’ve played this game more than any other so I hope to at least crack 100k before the week is out. I haven’t tried the Atari cart version yet recently but I’m certain the ghosts behave differently in this one (this one is more unpredictable).

Also as a kid I used to play to clear boards not amass points. Definitely forcing myself to get the fruit a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Improved to 61,540 on Datasoft Ver. Much harder than the old file ver I had I posted above (on a boot disk), think I have a cart somewhere in my cupboard but not sure I have the will to turf everything out!

Will start the next poll later tonight ;)

1711292324_Pac-Man61540.jpg.6aae44e0ac372fc43a15d8440d4f8a0b.jpg

• Like 2

So, I'm not sure if I'm playing the right version or not.  I thought the Datasoft version had the Galaxian as the bonus fruit, while the Atari version had that Fuji, instead.  Seeing as how nobody has said one version is harder/easier than the other, I guess it doesn't really make a difference.  The version I'm playing has the Galaxian bonus.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deteacher said:

if I'm playing the right version or not.  I thought the Datasoft version had the Galaxian as the bonus fruit, while the Atari version had that Fuji, instead

The version I played had the Fuji.  Unfortunately my game time has been limited to try the Datasoft one.  Will see if have time to try (work getting in the way!).   I grew up with the Atari one so that was what I tried first. 

I will say joystick choice can make a difference (at least for me) where one with a short throw (time to actuation) of the direction you want is critical.  I personally don't see how some can use a  d-pad but maybe that's because I started gaming with joysticks first (I would love to see a real study on this with measured data).

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 9:05 PM, Deteacher said:

So, I'm not sure if I'm playing the right version or not.  I thought the Datasoft version had the Galaxian as the bonus fruit, while the Atari version had that Fuji, instead.  Seeing as how nobody has said one version is harder/easier than the other, I guess it doesn't really make a difference.  The version I'm playing has the Galaxian bonus.

Thoughts?

Datasoft version has Atari Logo's though I'm on a downloaded file version so there's no reference to Datasoft on the screen.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:36 AM, Atari8guy said:

First try. Been a busy week. Datasoft version.

]I remember as a 12 year old my Dad being amazed I rocked 200000 points. This is a far cry from that and I think the stick was to blame!!!

I also know I’ve played this game more than any other so I hope to at least crack 100k before the week is out. I haven’t tried the Atari cart version yet recently but I’m certain the ghosts behave differently in this one (this one is more unpredictable).

Also as a kid I used to play to clear boards not amass points. Definitely forcing myself to get the fruit a bit more.

Datasoft version ghosts are "tougher" than the file version I posted an ATR of above, not able to confirm if that is identical to the cart version(s). Making it through the slower levels is probably key to a good go.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:00 AM, AtariSphinx said:

The version I played had the Fuji.  Unfortunately my game time has been limited to try the Datasoft one.  Will see if have time to try (work getting in the way!).   I grew up with the Atari one so that was what I tried first. 

I will say joystick choice can make a difference (at least for me) where one with a short throw (time to actuation) of the direction you want is critical.  I personally don't see how some can use a  d-pad but maybe that's because I started gaming with joysticks first (I would love to see a real study on this with measured data).

Yes, I've switched to a Comp Pro from my Quickshot for this one :thumbsup:

R4 poll is open (all active posts are pinned on the HSC forum!)

latest tables

PAC-MAN

1st   AtariSphinx                  174,980  13pts #
  2nd   McKong                        150,830  11pts
  3rd   Deteacher                    127,790  10pts

4th   therealbountybob        114,680  9pts
  5th   graywest                   110,550  9pts
  6th   tompateus                 110,140  9pts
  7th   oyamafamily               101,680  8pts
  8th   Fres                           76,030  8pts
  9th   nads                          61,550  8pts
 10th   Gury                         61,520  7pts