IGNORED

DRM / account management

T.A.P.

I recently picked up a used VCS at a fair price and I have some questions about digital downloads / DRM / account management before I start buying games for it.

Are the games I buy from Atari's store front tied to my system?

Are they tied to may Atari account?

If I buy a game and install it to my system, and my system breaks some time down the line, will I be able to download my purchased games on another Atari VCS? Or would I have to buy them again?

Am I required to maintain a constant internet connection to keep access to my purchased games?

Obviously you will need to be running Atari OS on a VCS to access the store, purchase and download games and that needs an internet connection.  Games are just Linux x86_64 binaries with support for the VCS controllers and kept on a 'storage' partition, they appear to have no DRM as such.  I'm confident in my purchases on the VCS and that I could continue to play them if Atari went bust or my system broke.

• Like 1

The games are tied to your account, not to the machine.
At the moment, I can verify that they work on multiple consoles I own. ?

However, at this time (and this will change) only the owner account of the game can play it on a single console. (That is flawed.)
There will be a family type setup, from answers I got before on Discord, so that all players on the owner's console can also play,
but then those other accounts will not have access to the games if they would be created on another system. (I think I'm right.)

Rich who runs Bacon-Icecream-Productions channel had a house flood, and his VCS was destroyed, and bought a replacement.
This video confirms how great the AtariOS setup is for users...