IGNORED

Atari 2600 development with ADS and Gopher to catch illegal accesses

Andrew Davie

As I post this, the HD version is still processing.  But, still good enough to (just) see what's happening in SD.

So I've deliberately peppered my code with illegal memory accesses, in such a way that the emulator is still able to keep running.

The scenario is we have code that runs on emulator(s) but not on hardware - because of illegal access.

So here's one way of using Gopher to find/fix some illegal accesses at source-code-level.

That is, I'm examining illegal accesses in the emulator by looking at the actual source-code lines that generated the illegal access.

It's magic...

Also, I briefly show the git integration in the wonderful ADS, which I use all the time for development these days.

I show file differences, and then check in code to my local repository, and finally push online to the github repository.

These amazing tools are making development such a pleasure these days!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

Pleasure mate - I really need to spend some time again on ADS! Spending what spare time I have on PETSCII and Wordle currently.

Don't know where to report bugs, so I'll do it here... one issue that "bugs" me :). is that when I command-click on a bug in the output window it takes me to the line with the bug/warning. Which is great. Unless the path has a space in it (which mine does - "Atari 2600/..." in which case it misses the first part of the path and fails to work. 

What should be possible is to link the emulator with VSCode by setting up Gopher2600 as a LSP server. That will save time by selecting the correct file/line in the editor via the illegal accesses window. @mksmith have you done any work with LSP for ADS?

Edited by JetSetIlly

On 2/24/2022 at 12:35 AM, JetSetIlly said:

What should be possible is to link the emulator with VSCode by setting up Gopher2600 as a LSP server. That will save time by selecting the correct file/line in the editor via the illegal accesses window. @mksmith have you done any work with LSP for ADS?

Hi @JetSetIlly I eventual plan is fully enhance ADS using proper Language Server protocols for each language but I just hadn't had the time yet to spend a few weeks working on it. So it's on my bucket list - along with quite a few other things unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, mksmith said:

Hi @JetSetIlly I eventual plan is fully enhance ADS using proper Language Server protocols for each language but I just hadn't had the time yet to spend a few weeks working on it. So it's on my bucket list - along with quite a few other things unfortunately. 

? That's good to know!

• Like 1