IGNORED

Japanese Power.

Last week I just got the Japan Up/Down converter in order to play any Japanese import systems like Nintendo Famicom or Sega Mega Drive using this converter and tested both Famicom and Super Famicom have a TV set that can get both Channel 95 & 98 to work with any Japanese systems. Now Im ready to bring back any gaming systems from Japan later this year if all goes well.

It’s recommended that to use the original Japanese power adaptor that came with the Famicom, Disk System or accessories when playing in the United States or Canada. To do so will require a step-down converter.

FLVb1zXX0AE2MVm.jpg

FLVbMowXEAAPaql.jpg

FLVbS7KXIAYW5C0.jpg

FLVbyptXEAMGNa1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That said, I did.

My original system from launch I did that, after using it extensively through its life, by the later half of the 90s I snapped it (1995) and by 4~ years later I had problems with it start to develop where the games could wobble and easily lose contact and seize up, so I eventually had to stuff a little folded piece of paper in there to lock it into place which SUCKED.  I eventually sadly parted with it for a SNESjr, then dumped that years later when I got a DK set original(1chip system) locally here.  That though even is stored now because of a SuperNT which has no tabs or pins issues.

I wouldn't waste time using the old power supplies with a regulator. I replaced all of those overheating old power supplies (on a Famicom AV and a SFC and many more) with modern 9V center negative pin power supplies:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D97ZJCA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not sure about the original Famicom and disk system, but I suspect the PSU polarity and voltage is the same. You would have to check. These run cool...they do not get hot. They are USA voltages so you don't have to mess with a converter. Not to mention they are just safer.

Systems that I know use this PSU (as I used them personally!):

Atari Jaguar

Genesis model 1

SNES (with an adapter to allow it to plug in)

Super Famicom

Famicom AV

NES

SMS

TG16

PC Engine (and variants)

It's even the same power supply for my Roland SC-50 synth. The original power supply from that smelled like it was burning when I got it.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

I just got my step down converter for my super Famicom. I have a couple of questions.. The official power supply I ordered looks like it had the same type of plug as the USA version. If I plug it into the 120v socket will it step down the voltage to 100v? I'm confused because the PSU I ordered won't fit the Japanese side of the step down converter. Am I missing something?

4 hours ago, Densetsu33 said:

I just got my step down converter for my super Famicom. I have a couple of questions.. The official power supply I ordered looks like it had the same type of plug as the USA version. If I plug it into the 120v socket will it step down the voltage to 100v? I'm confused because the PSU I ordered won't fit the Japanese side of the step down converter. Am I missing something?

If the PSU is printed "100V" do NOT use it in a USA power socket. It may appear to work for a time (or even a long time) but it WILL damage your equipment. I learned that the hard way a very long time ago.

Just replace those supplies with what I linked. Unless you are nostalgic for power supplies....

Edited by eightbit

8 hours ago, eightbit said:

If the PSU is printed "100V" do NOT use it in a USA power socket. It may appear to work for a time (or even a long time) but it WILL damage your equipment. I learned that the hard way a very long time ago.

Just replace those supplies with what I linked. Unless you are nostalgic for power supplies....

I have a 9v center negative power supply for a model 1 Sega genesis. Should I just use that? It is rated AC 100-245V 60hz Output DC9V-850mA. Its a new power supply.

Edited by Densetsu33

I just got my SFC today, and I plugged it in using a Genesis model 1 PSU. It is rated for 10v so it more closely resembles the original adapter. It is working well and not running hot. I am slightly concerned about the extra 20v. I don't know if that is an issue in the long run.

Edited by Densetsu33

On 3/10/2022 at 6:48 AM, Densetsu33 said:

I just got my SFC today, and I plugged it in using a Genesis model 1 PSU. It is rated for 10v so it more closely resembles the original adapter. It is working well and not running hot. I am slightly concerned about the extra 20v. I don't know if that is an issue in the long run.

Others here say the genesis adapter will work but not sure.  Never tried one.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:04 PM, 0078265317 said:

Others here say the genesis adapter will work but not sure.  Never tried one.

I've been using a model 1 Genesis adapter for about a week now and it works fine. It is 10v DC. Some model 1 power supplies are 9v if I'm not mistaken. 

On 2/23/2022 at 10:26 AM, Atariboy2600 said:

Last week I just got the Japan Up/Down converter in order to play any Japanese import systems like Nintendo Famicom or Sega Mega Drive using this converter and tested both Famicom and Super Famicom have a TV set that can get both Channel 95 & 98 to work with any Japanese systems. Now Im ready to bring back any gaming systems from Japan later this year if all goes well.

It’s recommended that to use the original Japanese power adaptor that came with the Famicom, Disk System or accessories when playing in the United States or Canada. To do so will require a step-down converter.

FLVb1zXX0AE2MVm.jpg

FLVbMowXEAAPaql.jpg

FLVbS7KXIAYW5C0.jpg

FLVbyptXEAMGNa1.jpg

Could you send me a link to this step down converter? The one I bought from amazon has the wrong outlet on the Japan side.

On 3/17/2022 at 2:22 PM, Densetsu33 said:

Could you send me a link to this step down converter? The one I bought from amazon has the wrong outlet on the Japan side.

https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-500J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B004O9WIK8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=15LWVOVKYHI9V&keywords=step%2Bdown%2Btransformer%2Bto%2B100v&qid=1644258867&sprefix=step%2Bdown%2Btransformer%2B%2Bto%2B100v%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-3&th=1

On 3/20/2022 at 2:04 AM, Atariboy2600 said:

If I'm stepping down from 110v to 100v do I set the input voltage on the back of the unit to 110v? Then plug into the 100v side?

I am not understanding why you are concerned about using the 100V power adapter with converter at all? As I mentioned, you can use the adapter I linked via Amazon or a Genesis model 1 adapter.

I think there is some confusion here. The console is not receiving 100V or 110V. If it were, well, you would not have much of a console anymore..lol!

It is receiving 9VDC via a 5.5mm barrel connector with a center negative pin. The power from the wall socket is the input whether it be 100V (in Japan) or 110V (in the USA) and it is outputting 9VDC to the console.

Even if you do not understand how the power is working, rest assured you can use 110V USA power supplies (again, like the one I already linked!) with these consoles and you will not have to deal with these ridiculous converters.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I am not understanding why you are concerned about using the 100V power adapter with converter at all? As I mentioned, you can use the adapter I linked via Amazon or a Genesis model 1 adapter.

I think there is some confusion here. The console is not receiving 100V or 110V. If it were, well, you would not have much of a console anymore..lol!

It is receiving 9VDC via a 5.5mm barrel connector with a center negative pin. The power from the wall socket is the input whether it be 100V (in Japan) or 110V (in the USA) and it is outputting 9VDC to the console.

Even if you do not understand how the power is working, rest assured you can use 110V USA power supplies (again, like the one I already linked!) with these consoles and you will not have to deal with these ridiculous converters.

I don't understand why you think I'm confused about the voltage the system uses. My question was concerning the setting with the step down converter. Anyways I believe it is 10vDC. I'd rather play safe than sorry with this old equipment. I have been using a model 1 adapter for the time being. It works but I'd like to use the original adapter personally.

1 hour ago, Densetsu33 said:

I don't understand why you think I'm confused about the voltage the system uses. My question was concerning the setting with the step down converter. Anyways I believe it is 10vDC. I'd rather play safe than sorry with this old equipment. I have been using a model 1 adapter for the time being. It works but I'd like to use the original adapter personally.

I'll tell you why I know you are confused:

On 3/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, Densetsu33 said:

Anyway...If you want to continue use the original old Japanese 100V power supplies (or any decades old power supplies) I am not so sure you are playing "safe".

But, to each their own. I already gave you very sound advice on what you should do to help prolong those machines...so whatever ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I'll tell you why I know you are confused:

Anyway...If you want to continue use the original old Japanese 100V power supplies (or any decades old power supplies) I am not so sure you are playing "safe".

But, to each their own. I already gave you very sound advice on what you should do to help prolong those machines...so whatever ;)

I like the idea of replacing these old power adapters with newer adapters don't get me wrong. But the ones you linked were 9VDC. The super Famicom is 10VDC. I'm sure that they work, but I would be more likely to buy them if they were the right voltage. I primarily use an FX pak pro which draws more power than a normal cartridge. I'll look around and see if I can find an adapter with the recommended voltage.

5 minutes ago, Densetsu33 said:

I like the idea of replacing these old power adapters with newer adapters don't get me wrong. But the ones you linked were 9VDC. The super Famicom is 10VDC. I'm sure that they work, but I would be more likely to buy them if they were the right voltage. I primarily use an FX pak pro which draws more power than a normal cartridge. I'll look around and see if I can find an adapter with the recommended voltage.

You are still confused - the SFC is going to take that 10V DC and run it through a 7805 and turn it into a steady 5V.  Don't worry about spending more money on a step down convertor or other power supplies - you already have what you need.

6 minutes ago, Lost Monkey said:

You are still confused - the SFC is going to take that 10V DC and run it through a 7805 and turn it into a steady 5V.  Don't worry about spending more money on a step down convertor or other power supplies - you already have what you need.

OK. Thank you.

• Like 1