IGNORED

Japanese Power.

That video is not only 13 years old but it provides some really BAD advice, like mentioning that it is fine to use 100V power supplies in a USA 110V outlet. 

NEVER do this. Many years ago I did just that with a PC Engine console and while it appeared to work fine initially it later damaged an TG Everdrive. Krikzz thankfully helped me to get it replaced regardless but I learned my lesson back then. 

Years later I have had consoles damaged even by using their original power supplies. The old supplies did not provide overvoltage protection like modern supplies do. So if you think you are "safe" simply using the original power supply on your old game console, think again. It is the whole reason people replace power supplies on their C64's, Colecovisions, etc etc. That 30 or 40 year old PSU can go at any moment and take that computer and console with it. Why would you take that chance?

If you replace them and provide clean good power to them with modern safety you are really doing the best thing to extend that console's life.

Edited by eightbit

41 minutes ago, eightbit said:

That video is not only 13 years old but it provides some really BAD advice, like mentioning that it is fine to use 100V power supplies in a USA 110V outlet. 

NEVER do this. Many years ago I did just that with a PC Engine console and while it appeared to work fine initially it later damaged an TG Everdrive. Krikzz thankfully helped me to get it replaced regardless but I learned my lesson back then. 

Years later I have had consoles damaged even by using their original power supplies. The old supplies did not provide overvoltage protection like modern supplies do. So if you think you are "safe" simply using the original power supply on your old game console, think again. It is the whole reason people replace power supplies on their C64's, Colecovisions, etc etc. That 30 or 40 year old PSU can go at any moment and take that computer and console with it. Why would you take that chance?

If you replace them and provide clean good power to them with modern safety you are really doing the best thing to extend that console's life.

I'll try the PSU you linked. In the mean time I'm going to have to use my old model 1 adapter. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Densetsu33
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, eightbit said:

I noticed the PSU you linked is 2000mA, not 850mA. Does that make any difference?

16 hours ago, Densetsu33 said:

I noticed the PSU you linked is 2000mA, not 850mA. Does that make any difference?

No. More amps is fine. It is when you do not have enough amps that is the problem. Trust me, I wouldn't steer you wrong with a recommendation as important as power.

• Like 1

Not that this is helpful at all, but today here in the US, most homes actually have about 120v coming out of their outlets. Technically I think we are 117v here in the US now these days? My house built in the 60s actually averages about 125 - 127v out of the outlets and has since we moved in a decade ago. Hasn't damaged anything I own or any of my old systems, but I have noticed that my PSUs get warmer than they used to since I moved into this house. But, as has been stated, the DC voltage from the PSU and providing enough current is the most important part. The consoles use DC voltage that they step down to +5. And a 10V vs a 9V doesn't even matter because in both cases, I can pretty much bet those PSUs are actually putting out about 14v without a load on them. Even when plugged into the consoles, they are likely still putting about 10v into the internal regulators. And those are readings from a model 1 Genesis 9v PSU. 

So... as long as the PSU is within a volt or two of the needed specs and the output amperage meets or exceeds, the PSU should be perfectly fine for use with the console. 

The ONLY real exception to this, is the original NeoGeo and other devices that do not possess internal regulators. In those cases, having the exact output voltage is critical but thankfully, devices like that are NOT that common.

• Like 1