IGNORED

838-SPEECH In Development

Shift838

All,

many TI'ers and Geneve users want to be able to place their speech synthesizer in the PEB, but the cards like the RAVE99 and Triple-Tech are hard to find and when you do find them they tend to go for a good penny unless you are lucky to score one at a reasonable price.

So that got me thinking that this could be a good project.  

I have obtained permission from Richard Bell to rework the RAVE99 SPA-01 speech adapter card and with the recent work of myself and @Fritz442 to decode the original RAVE99 PAL to be able to get a new code programmed by Fritz442 and burn it to a GAL has made this project possible.

I have already created a hand wired prototype using the original RAVE99 as a reference.  I have changed some voltage components for cleaner power.  I have tested this hand wired card in both the TI-99/4A and Geneve 9640 and it works.  See attached photo of hand wired board attached.

Working Video Here

I have also attached a rendering of the new card, and a minimum run has been ordered for testing and should be in my hands in the next 2 weeks.

Fritz442 has also created a small testing program that runs through all the speech synthesizers vocabulary.

838-speech.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Looks great, it is really nice to see this becoming available @Shift838 !

One of the minor challenges I have with the SAMS card is it has such a low profile that to insert/remove it, you must also pull one more adjacent cards.  I always wondered if the SAMS card could be built with the full card height to facilitate insertion and removal.  I don't know if extending the 838-speech PCB is worth considering or even possible to implement, just tossing the idea out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I always wondered if the SAMS card could be built with the full card height to facilitate insertion and removal. 

My understanding is that price increases significantly with board size. 

Maybe future designs include a "screw hole" that a string could be tied through for ease of extraction?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I always wondered if the SAMS card could be built with the full card height to facilitate insertion and removal. 

That could be done, but it would add about $10 to the cost of each board.

On Speech boards, you would end up with two long tabs bracketing the speech synthesizer board. As these boards would still chew up a lot of the material on the panel and have significant material waste too, I suspect the price per board would go pretty close to that for a any other full size board.

• Like 2