IGNORED

Season 20 Round 5 - Tetris

asponge

36 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

Well I don't. If you know the game already, you have an unfair advantage

Cheating gives an unfair advantage. Just being better at something isn't unfair.

Even if you prohibit those already know the games, there will be some players who are better at games than others and/or have more free time to practice and will win. I guess they also have an unfair advantage.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

Also, I've been competing in NES contests for a long time. I've seen players who've never heard of a game before get really good at it and do well against experienced players. Sometimes they do this often. It happens. Already knowing a game  is no guarantee that you're going to beat someone who doesn't.

Here's an example of what I mean. It's an old Qbert contest thread. The top scorer had never heard of the game before that week. Second place guy was playing it since he was a kid.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewe30b.html?catid=31&threadid=163346

• Like 1

@Frozone212 If you want to be in a retro gaming competition, you are going to have to deal with people who have been playing the game for 30 years or more.  Then again, I have won some weeks when I had never played the game before.  It happens.

Here, you can beat me.  I played this game 30+ years ago and still suck at it. 29,933

Tetris.thumb.jpg.a2081abbe251fb4330c64ef40d848175.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Also, I've been competing in NES contests for a long time. I've seen players who've never heard of a game before get really good at it and do well against experienced players. Sometimes they do this often. It happens. Already knowing a game  is no guarantee that you're going to beat someone who doesn't.

Here's an example of what I mean. It's an old Qbert contest thread. The top scorer had never heard of the game before that week. Second place guy was playing it since he was a kid.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewe30b.html?catid=31&threadid=163346

I take it that site is no longer active?

I always wanted the Tengen version for 2 players (never seemed right that the licensed version didn’t have that). Nevertheless, I came up with a pretty crazy and fun 2 player version with this cart:

One player uses the controller while facing away from the tv, then their partner gives verbal directions on where to place the pieces. E.g., “B, left, left, drop.” (Or as things heat up, “stay”.)

It’s as crazy as it sounds, and it’s a lot of fun!

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 5:20 PM, agb said:

I am really enjoying this challenge. I think you have me this time but I will not quit. This will be a fun two weeks. 

Thanks and GL.

I have a personal goal of 600k. I'll hit it one of these days. Still being terrible at level 19 speed hurts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Thanks and GL.

I have a personal goal of 600k. I'll hit it one of these days. Still being terrible at level 19 speed hurts.

Great score. I broke 632,000 years ago. I got 599,000 a few years ago. I’m stuck in the 300s so far this week. Good luck getting the 600,000

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 6:37 PM, mbd39 said:

Yeah. The members moved to a different site.  A company named Go Collect bought the site and then destroyed it.

In fairness, NA was kinda sharing honest info about game rarity and undermining their plans to pretend their stash of common crap is worth millions

• Like 2

Getting a Tetris is still one of the most satisfying things in gaming. I also love making my way down to the bottom of the screen after being at the scary music top. It feels like a little accomplishment and a second chance haha. 

Tetris - 83,133

153751C1-2FA6-4645-B526-85BD4C3092E3.thumb.jpeg.6aa84dfa3e993dc89c8df6648840b671.jpeg

Started on level 7. Only made it to 8 this time instead of 10, but I ended up with a higher score. Thank you tetrises :)

• Like 2