Revontuli Posted December 13, 2022 Author Share Posted December 13, 2022 (edited) 8 hours ago, Pat Brady said: With POKEY 8-bit channels, it's a lot easier to get good results than TIA, but you still have to be careful. For this Satie piece, that conversion doesn't sound bad at all, but there are a few different ways to do it, and I think with some experimentation you might find something you like better. Let me know if you'd like me to take a more detailed look or provide more specific suggestions. Feel free to PM if you'd prefer. I'll likely PM you later - thank you! I have some more open ended questions about making "insturments" and various POKEY settings, and already found the excellent Music Note->POKEY spreadsheet (the lynchpin of the MIDI conversion table), but I'm still largely playing with the simple square wave. There's a reason I picked Satie - the music is brilliant, but still technically (computer-wise) fairly simple, entirely piano, and kept within a few octaves, so I don't need to worry too much about harmonizing with a bass beat or trying to keep odd waveforms cooperating with each other. Anything more complicated is an absolute nightmare to try with the TIA, and still a concern with the POKEY. 6 hours ago, Karl G said: I personally love what you have done with the TIA, and I definitely don't think it would be a bad thing if you ended up deciding that adding POKEY wouldn't be justified for reasons of code size or cart cost. Thank you! As much as I harp on the TIA, I've gained quite a bit of affection for it. After a lot of work I've found I can give it a unique tone, and the 7800's resources can give it *some* musical chops. Even if I go POKEY, I'm planning on having it be optional and keeping the TIA soundtrack as a fallback (I worked too darn hard at making those tunes to just throw them out ) 5 hours ago, RevEng said: I know firsthand that midi conversions can take up a fair bit of rom, since it's "performance" data and missing pattern structure. You might consider switching from memcpy to using lz4 (de)compression at some point, if rom is tight. Given how I've scoped things, I might be able to get away without compression for *this* project, but lz4 and its kin will certainly be on my list of things to integrate if/when I start my RPG project. Even with a bigger ROM, music and text will expand to devour all space they can without some kind of managment. I think I have an approach that will work within 7800Basic, given all of your input and some further thought. Thank you for all your help and advice! I try not to @ too often, and I appreciate all the work you've done. This game would not exist without the code and knowledge base you've built! Here's a parting sample/comparison - Satie's Gnossiennes #4, used for the main labyrinth. I think I did a decent job arranging it in 2(ish) octaves and 1.5 channels (one channel is shared with the game sfx, and only really used if there's two notes played with different priorities): Gnoss4TIA.ogg This is the straight MIDI->Pokey conversion, with minimal cleanup or arranging. While I still like how the TIA version sounds, I'll admit it's hard for it to compete with 4 channels and 8 times the resolution Gnoss4Pokey.ogg Edited December 13, 2022 by Revontuli 5 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.