IGNORED

838-SPEECH PEB Adapter PRE-ORDER UP

Shift838

All,

I have activated the pre-order on my store as I have already sold the remaining initial run of boards.

Preorder will be closed on March 14, 2022 @ 9:00 a.m. CST.

You may access it below:

838-SPEECH PRE-ORDER (fwscart.com)

*** This is a PRE-ORDER ***

Pre-orders will end at 9:00 a.m. CST March 14, 2022

Please be aware that it will take up to 2 weeks to receive the PCBs from the manufacturer. 

Boards will be assembled and tested to be shipped by the order number, first in, first out and so on.

Get your order in before to ensure you have reserved your board(s).  Stock will be zeroed out at this time.

Board orders and Part orders will be done shortly after once I have calculated all quantities.

Introducing the new 838-SPEECH v1 PEB Adapter card for use with the TI-99/4A and Myarc Geneve 9640 computers.

This card allows a user to remove the TI Speech Synthesizer (not included) from the original enclosure and plug it on top of the PEB board to reclaim desk real estate!

Place the card into the PEB in any slot after it has been powered off for at least 2 minutes.

Your PEB will now talk!

To see a video of the card working then go to my YouTube channel link below:

See Video Here

Please note all items are shipped with insurance.

Color of boards will be 'BLUE', LED color may change due to stock on hand.

If you have any questions, please PM me.

• Like 3

Will you be selling kits or PCBs?  I don’t mind building my own and just need the PCB and the code for the PALs and the BOM.  Or if you have the PCB files handy for me to order one from PCBWay or such, I can do that too. I just need the PAL code and BOM.  

The code is already posted here in AtariAge.  I’m will probably sell some blank pcb boards once they come in

Awesome, thanks! Will the board PCB file be posted here as well after you’ve completed your runs?

I have a queue of things to build - it’s therapeutic for me. I have a Micro 8088 system that I’m just waiting on parts for, a 1A2 phone system board that will be next, a MT32 Raspberry Pi hat, and will add this too.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, acadiel said:

Awesome, thanks! Will the board PCB file be posted here as well after you’ve completed your runs?

I have a queue of things to build - it’s therapeutic for me. I have a Micro 8088 system that I’m just waiting on parts for, a 1A2 phone system board that will be next, a MT32 Raspberry Pi hat, and will add this too.

no, I will not be posting the schematic or gerber files to the PCB.  I had to obtain authorization to create this board from the person who owns the rights to the board, so I am the only one who can produce this board.

6 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

no, I will not be posting the schematic or gerber files to the PCB.  I had to obtain authorization to create this board from the person who owns the rights to the board, so I am the only one who can produce this board.

I’m sending the owner of the IP a note - I really don’t think they would have any concerns with individuals having the design, being that’s all that I am asking.  Seems a little backward in todays retro computer scene keeping the schematic and PCB files closed, but I’ll ping him and see what the logic is.  

1 minute ago, acadiel said:

I’m sending the owner of the IP a note - I really don’t think they would have any concerns with individuals having the design, being that’s all that I am asking.  Seems a little backward in todays retro computer scene keeping the schematic and PCB files closed, but I’ll ping him and see what the logic is.  

you can, but I don't think i'm going to release them after my run.  Maybe at a later date, but not now.  

2 minutes ago, acadiel said:

Now if you want to buy some extra blank PCBs from me then that is fine.

I’ll ask the IP owner to do a schematic design, then. I think these need to be out there after you’ve had a chance to recoup your investment. Or at least, we need to have current schematics out there for the community like with the 200+ ones that I have scanned over the past several years. I certainly don’t want to interfere with your selling these at all, which is why I asked if they would be released after your run.

35 minutes ago, acadiel said:

I’ll ask the IP owner to do a schematic design, then. I think these need to be out there after you’ve had a chance to recoup your investment. Or at least, we need to have current schematics out there for the community like with the 200+ ones that I have scanned over the past several years. I certainly don’t want to interfere with your selling these at all, which is why I asked if they would be released after your run.

I will probably release it after my 2nd run is typically what I do.  I would still need to get approval from the IP owner to release it.  I do know that he does not have a schematic of this card.  I had to work that out.

This is a nifty card.  Kudos for creating it and making it available.

My 99/4a console is set up in a very tight space which doesn't allow attachment of the original speech synthesizer module.  So this new card is a perfect alternative.

I'm preparing to place an order and have a question:  how do the "dual wipe" and "machined" socket types differ?  Is one advantageous over the other?

51 minutes ago, jmazzy said:

This is a nifty card.  Kudos for creating it and making it available.

My 99/4a console is set up in a very tight space which doesn't allow attachment of the original speech synthesizer module.  So this new card is a perfect alternative.

I'm preparing to place an order and have a question:  how do the "dual wipe" and "machined" socket types differ?  Is one advantageous over the other?

Dual wipe sockets are more pressure related.  They can get sprung if chips are pulled and inserted a few times.  The machined sockets are not pressure, they are just tight and will not get sprung over time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shift838 said:

Dual wipe sockets are more pressure related.  They can get sprung if chips are pulled and inserted a few times.  The machined sockets are not pressure, they are just tight and will not get sprung over time.

One note on machined sockets: sometimes they are really tight, and when you remove a chip, some of the socket inserts remain on the chip legs. I just carefully remove them from the legs and reinsert them, using the end of a fat paper clip to push them back into the locked position. They work fine after this process.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, SkyPilot said:

Are the contact traces made of gold?  That's more than a used TI, more than speech synthesizer, and the same price as a TIPI. ?

One of the reasons for the price is I am not using the PCB manufacturing company I was using due to some issues currently ongoing.  I have elected to keep the PCB manufacturing within the US so the price is more expensive to have the PCBs tooled.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shift838 said:

One of the reasons for the price is I am not using the PCB manufacturing company I was using due to some issues currently ongoing.  I have elected to keep the PCB manufacturing within the US so the price is more expensive to have the PCBs tooled.

IIRC, actual, honest-to-goodness, IRL Rave99s have been going for around $100 and up, and those are 30-some years old thus liable to die any day.  The 838-Speech adapter is, what, $105?

Even with the domestic PCB production, considering the R&D, design, and final production; IMNSHO, that is a fine price point for a brand new device which is likely to have 30 years of life in it.

4 hours ago, Shift838 said:

The last RAVE99 in February 2022 on ebay sold for $405.00 USD

TI-99/4A TI99 RAVE SPA-01 Speech Synthesizer Card Peripheral Expansion Box WORK | eBay

mother-of-god.gif.0c312720ed3431ec57d2ff9b9ec7ea5b.gif

I forgot to check on that after its bids dropped down.  I had a feeling it would head upwards of $200, but no idea it would go for twice that.  For some of the "retro" stuff I watch, the prices are all over the place.