IGNORED

Freeway 5200

glurk

1 hour ago, glurk said:

Just posting here also to be in the correct section.  My port of Activision's 2600 "Freeway" for the 5200.  Let me know if there are any problems:

Freeway [5200].bin 16 kB · 2 downloads

Freeway [5200].car 16.02 kB · 2 downloads

No .car file needed

The bin works fine from atarimax sd multicart on 2 port Atari 5200.

Thank you so much

2 hours ago, glurk said:

Just posting here also to be in the correct section.  My port of Activision's 2600 "Freeway" for the 5200.  Let me know if there are any problems:

Freeway [5200].bin 16 kB · 48 downloads

Freeway [5200].car 16.02 kB · 27 downloads

The bin file works great on eprom :-)  Thankyou !

20220307_142229.jpg

• Like 1

I actually looked at doing 'Laser Blast.'  But it's widely panned as a bad game, and IMO it kind of is.  Very repetitive and boring.  And if I ported it, it would be pretty much exactly the same as the 2600 version.  So I think I'll skip that one.

Freeway itself came about in a funny way.  I wasn't intending to port it.  But I built up the display and got the road, cars, and chickens on the screen, and I liked the look of it so much that I decided to go ahead and port over the game code.  Because once you've got the display working (always my first step) you are just about 2/3 of the way done!  And it was probably the easiest one so far.

I find the programming part fun.  More fun than actually playing the games, in fact.  That's just me.   And I like to stay busy and keep my mind active.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, glurk said:

I actually looked at doing 'Laser Blast.'  But it's widely panned as a bad game, and IMO it kind of is.  Very repetitive and boring.  And if I ported it, it would be pretty much exactly the same as the 2600 version.  So I think I'll skip that one.

Freeway itself came about in a funny way.  I wasn't intending to port it.  But I built up the display and got the road, cars, and chickens on the screen, and I liked the look of it so much that I decided to go ahead and port over the game code.  Because once you've got the display working (always my first step) you are just about 2/3 of the way done!  And it was probably the easiest one so far.

I find the programming part fun.  More fun than actually playing the games, in fact.  That's just me.   And I like to stay busy and keep my mind active.

Laser Blast was pretty iconic bitd

I think both Pele and Star Master would be difficult ports.  Not saying I wouldn't try.  Star Master has already been disassembled and commented nicely, so that's a big head start on that one.  I've been unable to find a disassembly for Pele.  Maybe one is out there, but no luck so far.

Doing a from-scratch disassembly takes a LONG time...  So I tend to prefer doing games where that part is already done!  :)

On 3/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, glurk said:

Freeway [5200].bin 16 kB · 66 downloads

Freeway [5200].car 16.02 kB · 32 downloads

Was this game ported from the 8bit version?  

Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

Was this game ported from the 8bit version?  

Thanks again. 

In a roundabout way, yes.  Ported from the 2600 to the 8bits first, and I do the ports so that they will run on a basic Atari 400.  And it's running the actual 2600 machine code.  Not converted, actual 2600 game directly ported.  I just re-write the kernel / display routines into something that works on the 8bits.

Then, since the 5200 basically IS an Atari 400, I just re-assemble the whole thing with the hardware addresses and stuff that needs changed to make it run on the 5200.  That part is actually (usually) straight-forward and simple.

I have some framework stuff set up that I re-use so I don't have to totally start from scratch every time.  It's not easy, per se, but it helps a lot.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, glurk said:

I actually looked at doing 'Laser Blast.'  But it's widely panned as a bad game, and IMO it kind of is.  Very repetitive and boring.

It is. Never got the hang of it either, despite its simplicity.

17 hours ago, Aking said:

Laser Blast was pretty iconic bitd

It was. My gramma made a stink about it being from "some new company that's making Atari tapes". An immediate must-buy. Because up to then it was always Atari Atari Atari, and some Sears for the likes of Stellar Track. That someone non-Atari could do it was like magic. It lit up our rather small sphere of existence like beacon.

1 hour ago, glurk said:

In a roundabout way, yes.  Ported from the 2600 to the 8bits first, and I do the ports so that they will run on a basic Atari 400.  And it's running the actual 2600 machine code.  Not converted, actual 2600 game directly ported.  I just re-write the kernel / display routines into something that works on the 8bits.

Then, since the 5200 basically IS an Atari 400, I just re-assemble the whole thing with the hardware addresses and stuff that needs changed to make it run on the 5200.  That part is actually (usually) straight-forward and simple.

I have some framework stuff set up that I re-use so I don't have to totally start from scratch every time.  It's not easy, per se, but it helps a lot.

Would be cool to see Bowling port to 5200 updated imo if you're looking for a project.

Blue Max is another 8bit classic no one talks about.

If someone ever makes an official remake of 5200 Cloak and Dagger, it will sell.  Matter of fact, people that are not 5200 owners will get the 5200 because of Cloak and Dagger. lol.    

40 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

I can do the IDA Pro fairly quickly

Nah, I mean a "commented" disassembly, where someone has gone thru and labeled the RAM values with meaningful names.  The Stella emulator does "smart-disassemblies" itself, properly separating code and data sections automatically.  But it can't add comments...  That just takes a lot of human work / time.