IGNORED

2022 HSC Rd. 6 Scrapyard Dog

toiletunes

Mr. Big has dognapped Scraps! Do you have what it takes to help Louie rescue him?

Settings: default

Manual: AtariAge - Atari 7800 Manuals (HTML) - Scrapyard Dog (Atari)

File download: AtariAge - Atari 2600 - Scrapyard Dog (Atari)

HSC Record: 2,192,600 (Propane13)

Bonus: Haiku! (Traditional Japanese haiku consist of three phrases that contain 17 syllables in a 5, 7, 5 pattern) Create an original Haiku poem about Scrapyard Dog for bonus points! Posting a poem will receive one bonus point. Posting a poem in Haiku format will receive two points, and the poem with the most different reactions will receive three points- (the reactions from the 'like' button include Like, Sad, Thanks, Confused, and Ha Ha). If you get all five reactions, you'll get four bonus points! 

Deadline: Sunday, March 27, midnight EST.

Scores for the season:

68 oyamafamily

60 Silver Back

56 Deteacher

51 toiletunes

47 Dr Moocowz

45 NIKON

34 jeremiahjt

34 jimblargh

31 jgkspsx

30 BydoEmpire

28 roadrunner

24 Rick Dangerous

18 Cafeman

13 Lauren Tyler

08 mark griff

05 jblenkle

Scores for this round:

2,162,800 = Propane13

1,790,750 = jeremiahjt

215,025 = Silver Back

73,475 = toiletunes

26,325 = jimblargh

25,200 = mark griff

24,325 = NIKON

23,950 = Dr Moocowz

20,450 = jgkspsx

14,625 = BydoEmpire

13,500 = oyamafamily

5,900 = jblenkle

Bonus:

Posted a poem: (+1)

Silver Back

Posted a Haiku: (+2)

Dr Moocowz

jimblargh

Propane13

Posted a Haiku (and predicted beating the game +3)

jeremiahjt

Five reaction Haiku bonus (+4)

jgkspsx

toiletunes

BydoEmpire

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 2

Quick question,

I know emulation is fair game. Are Atari Flashback systems okay? 

While I am asking  - Are Evercade and Evercade VS acceptable for the handful of 7800 games that have been ported?

Obviously no rewinds, save states, or any other modern wizardry allowed.

I ask because I don't have this cart, and these days sitting at my computer makes me feel like I am teleworking when I should be playing video games ?

LOVE the bonus points haiku competition!!!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jimblargh said:

Quick question,

I know emulation is fair game. Are Atari Flashback systems okay? 

While I am asking  - Are Evercade and Evercade VS acceptable for the handful of 7800 games that have been ported?

?

As long as it's the exact same game, I see no problems. For examples- Scrapyard Dog on the Lynx is totally different than the 7800, and the original flashback had some games from the 7800 library, but that system was a NES on a chip and the games were ports.

I'm not familiar enough with the evercades, but I assume they're much better emulators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, toiletunes said:

As long as it's the exact same game, I see no problems. For examples- Scrapyard Dog on the Lynx is totally different than the 7800, and the original flashback had some games from the 7800 library, but that system was a NES on a chip and the games were ports.

I'm not familiar enough with the evercades, but I assume they're much better emulators.

Thanks for the clarification!

I knew that most of the flashbacks used NES on a chip but I assumed that the game play was identical. The only flashback I currently own is the handheld but that one doesn’t have Scrapyard Dog anyway. I noticed that one of the other models had Scrapyard Dog on it, but I think I will skip on that option if it might not be the same exact game.

WRT the Evercade, the games are identical as far as I can tell. Unfortunately the only version of Scrapyard Dog ported to the Evercade right now is the Lynx version, so that's not helpful in this case. But if we ever play Ninja Golf I am set! ? ?️‍♀️

• Like 1

New high score. I fell like if I get one lucky run I could get a crazy high score but its so hard to do. Anyway here it is. 

IMG_20220310_213430.thumb.jpg.381990b2a9cd5499d911c98ecf56ac49.jpg

Update: another new high score

IMG_20220311_070433.thumb.jpg.5ca79a8f7540e990af42948d46f2d892.jpg

Edit: this will probably be my last score. I sucked at the slide puzzle and scraps was sawed. I thought I lost my score but it keeps it during the demo scenes if you don't press buttons. I'll never make it to scraps without using up my continues again

215025IMG_20220311_083720.thumb.jpg.131baef436ca459d0eaafc393cdfa616.jpg

Edited by Silver Back
Added new score
  • Like 2

Well I went to play again today and my right button stopped working just like my other CX-78 JoyPad, great.  I have two CX-24 ProLines that both buttons work, but they both have their own problems.

I figured what the heck, I hardly ever use the cans anyway and I never use Super Cans or the bombs.  I made it to 2-3 with a score of 51,675.

Now I know I had made it past the first sewer level before.  I remember that second story door in 2-2 that I have never been able to get to and I remembered that super long jump in 2-3 that took all of my four lives this time trying to get over.  I do not think I have ever made it past that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This game is infuriating. You can move pretty fast, but it kind of demands you go really slow. I don't know, the controls aren't bad, you can kind of get to know the levels... it feels like I lose my lives really fast. There isn't a lot of chance to play if that makes sense.  Not bad, there are some cool elements, but I think this is about all I'm going to do. World 1-2... slightly better...

1166886347_scrapyarddog.thumb.PNG.e13a2c236c2bc017e1feb6117545ad57.PNG

I like killing mice

But I really hate those tires

So many cheap deaths

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

This game is infuriating. You can move pretty fast, but it kind of demands you go really slow. I don't know, the controls aren't bad, you can kind of get to know the levels... it feels like I lose my lives really fast. There isn't a lot of chance to play if that makes sense.  Not bad, there are some cool elements, but I think this is about all I'm going to do. World 1-2... slightly better...

I used to feel the same way, and you actually need to move fast to make some of the jumps starting in 1-3.  You should've been able to hold a button to gain momentum And I think it would've been easier in the beginning that way. It demands that you learn where the enemies are and avoid them. They don't really ever change either so once you learn how the game sets them it's not so bad to anticipate where they are but some of the jumps are really bad. 

Idk I really wanted to like the game and one day it just clicked. But I doubt it's worth it at this point in life, I just had some spare time during the pandemic lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

But I doubt it's worth it at this point in life, I just had some spare time during the pandemic lol

That's a good way to put it - I do feel there's a good game in there if I invested more time, but at this point it's hard to justify spending that time.  Still fun to try, though.

• Like 3

I broke 100,000, but it was after using a continue. I made it to the door in 2-2 and it sold extra lives! After that I always took the higher route to get to those hard to reach doors. There were a bunch of extra life, shield, and time stores to go along with some of those offices that give the items.

Finally made that jump in 2-3 also. There were some semi-difficult jumps in 3-3 and 4-3, but there was a darn near impossible jump in 5-3 that I never got really close to making.

As you get later in the game, the game starts giving extra lives quite a bit. The piano game in the junkyards and the offices in the city give a good amount. I also bought a lot of extra lives and shields thanks to my right button not working. Since I could not use cans I always had a lot to sell for money and there was no point in buying bombs or Super Cans so I stocked up on shields and lives any chance I had.

I should be able to submit a much improved score the next time I play.

• Like 2