IGNORED

Wanted: 486 DX4 100 CPU ***FOUND***

eightbit

I recently built my almost dream machine. I say almost because it is a Intel 486 DX-2 66. I always wanted an Intel 486 DX4 100. I was saving up for one back in the mid-90's but that never happened.

My board can accept one if I can find one. Anyone have a spare without bent pins they would like to sell or trade for something?

And yes, it has to be an Intel model ;)

PM!

***FOUND, THANKS ALL!***

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

Wow, does that ever take me back!

I bought my first PC style computer in 1993, a 486SX33 from Treasure Chest Computers. A couple of years later, I upgraded it with an AMD 486DX100. That computer is long gone now, unfortunately, but that was my fir PC upgrade, which eventually led to my first PC build, which led to a life of rig building.

I'm sorry that I can't help you, but good luck in your search.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Osgeld said:

I have a 486 DX4 100 on my home living room desk for games and light programming running dos and win 3.11, fun machine glad you found a chip 

Yep, I recently built a 486 DX-2 66 from half new and half old parts. It works great but I really wanted that DX4-100 for the extra horsepower and the fact that it is the CPU that eluded me when I was younger. As soon as this arrives I'll swap it out and my mission is complete!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eightbit said:

Yep, I recently built a 486 DX-2 66 from half new and half old parts. It works great but I really wanted that DX4-100 for the extra horsepower and the fact that it is the CPU that eluded me when I was younger. As soon as this arrives I'll swap it out and my mission is complete!

When I bought mine, AMD was the only one producing any clock tripled chips like the DX4-100. Did Intel make any of these later, or was this always just an AMD area and Intel had already moved on to Pentium technology? I can't recall.

6 hours ago, bfollowell said:

When I bought mine, AMD was the only one producing any clock tripled chips like the DX4-100. Did Intel make any of these later, or was this always just an AMD area and Intel had already moved on to Pentium technology? I can't recall.

Intel's original DX-4 100 was an OEM only CPU. You couldn't buy one off the shelf...you needed to buy a pre-built PC with one inside. That CPU ran at 3.3V. Then they made a 486 overdrive CPU and sold that to the masses. That was actually a DX-4 100 but with some voltage regulation added so that it worked on 3.3V and 5V motherboards. And then that was kind of short lived as the Pentium came.

I always wondered about (and asked before) why they labeled it as a DX4 when it's clock-tripled.

The only thing I come up with was that it was a marketing decision. The angles of "4" and "X" next to each other were more visually harmonious. They may also not wanted to have anything "3" in there so as not to have even the slightest confusion of anything 386.

Perhaps it was just the usual marketing bullshit of making something appear better than it actually is. Though the processor was pretty good on its own. Maybe for some dumbass legal reason?

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

I always wondered about (and asked before) why they labeled it as a DX4 when it's clock-tripled.

The only thing I come up with was that it was a marketing decision. The angles of "4" and "X" next to each other were more visually harmonious. They may also not wanted to have anything "3" in there so as not to have even the slightest confusion of anything 386.

Perhaps it was just the usual marketing bullshit of making something appear better than it actually is. Though the processor was pretty good on its own. Maybe for some dumbass legal reason?

Intel named it DX4 (rather than DX3) as a consequence of litigation with AMD over trademarks.

• Thanks 1