IGNORED

CX-53 trak ball start pause reset buttons?

Eisengrim

20 hours ago, Eisengrim said:

Well I went ahead and gave it a shot. Opened it up, and it was remarkably clean inside. Took the upper PCB out of its brackets and cleaned the contacts for the start/reset/pause buttons. Didn't make any difference at all - those buttons are completely unresponsive.

Need to verify the cable wires those are attached to and check for any breaks within the cable harness as the next step possibly.

I'm stating this with the assumption that you are able to play other games okay using a different controller yes?

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Need to verify the cable wires those are attached to and check for any breaks within the cable harness as the next step possibly.

I'm stating this with the assumption that you are able to play other games okay using a different controller yes?

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, the 5200 works fine and I can play games like Missile Command with the Trak Ball by starting it up using a regular joystick and then switching to the Trak Ball. The ball, keypad, and fire buttons work. Only Start/Reset/Pause don't work.

Starting to look like broken wires. I can't see anything wrong under the hood (exposed wires attaching to the PCB), but for all I know the wires have a problem deeper in the cable. I tested the pins according to the CX5200 service manual with an ohm meter and get nothing for start/pause/reset while I did get readings from the other buttons.

I believe the start,pause, reset all use Col 3 data input to register them. So the issue could be the wire going to pin 4 on the controller port in this case. If normal controllers are working, the issue has to be the wire or a break in the PCB for that main signal line for those buttons.