IGNORED

‘G’ key not responding on my Apple IIe

ColecoGamer

My beautiful IIe works perfectly, minus the ‘G’ key on the keyboard.

I am reaching out to the Apple user community to find out what methods are available to fix this problem. 

All the other keys work, so I’m not sure if its a dirty contact or not?

Any advice given on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Try removing the cap, and spraying some contact cleaner into the switch.  Work the switch for 15 to 20 minutes, then power on to see if there is any improvement.  If that doesn't work, you can desolder and dismantle the switch.  Clean the contacts and test with a multimeter to see if it works.  If so, reassemble and solder it back in.  Worst case, you will have to replace the switch.  But if the rest of the board is working, then your problem is likely limited to the switch. 

Note: If the key starts repeating after you spray it, with or without you pressing it, that just means that there's some liquid trapped inside the switch.  Just turn off computer and keep working the switch.  The repeat will stop when the liquid evaporates.

Edited by DistantStar001
Additional information.
  • Like 1

The Platinum //e is prone to solder joint issues on the G and H keys, that's why I asked. Physical support is weak in that area. Maximum bend!

Perhaps you want to check that out. In addition to switch cleaning and reseating the ribbon cable and reseating the keyboard encoder chip on the mainboard.

Test the switch operation with a multimeter. And trace the continuity back to the cable too.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Keatah said:

The Platinum //e is prone to solder joint issues on the G and H keys, that's why I asked. Physical support is weak in that area. Maximum bend!

Perhaps you want to check that out. In addition to switch cleaning and reseating the ribbon cable and reseating the keyboard encoder chip on the mainboard.

Test the switch operation with a multimeter. And trace the continuity back to the cable too.

Thank you for the info, too, @Keatah. I need to get my hands on a new multimeter; I’ll just buy one online.