IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Three Strikes Tourney Details

Vocelli

Season 12

3 Strikes Tourney

Majors: The Top 16 Players in Season 12 will Qualify

Rules: Get 3 Strikes and you are eliminated in a knockout-type format. You receive strikes by finishing in the bottom half of scoring for the week. Finish in the top half of scoring and you receive NO STRIKES.

Once you get 3 strikes… You are eliminated!

Games: Chosen from ALL the games played in Season 12

Who Chooses the Games: The Top 4 Ranked remaining players will secretly submit a list of their Top 5 Games they want played (Week 1’s Games will be determined by players ranked 1-4). Starting with the Top ranked player, I will compare lists submitted by the players, until I get a match. If there is no matched games after the Top 4 ranked players submit their lists, I will ask the Top Player for another list of 5 different games. I will keep asking the Top Players for lists until we get a match on the game(s) we will play.

So finishing in the Top 4 during regular season will give you a slight advantage

This may take too long to get 3 Strikes: No, because the first couple of weeks will have 2 GAMES and 2 STRIKES per game for players finishing in the bottom half.

Winners: THE LAST 3 REMAINING PLAYERS will get to choose a game for Season 13!

We will Crown a Gold Medal Winner/Silver Medal Winner and a Bronze Medal Winner for the Top 3 players. All of which will choose a game for Season 13!

Minors: Players ranked 17-32 in Season 12 will Qualify

Rules: Get 3 Strikes and you are eliminated in a knockout-type format.  You receive strikes by finishing in the bottom half of scoring for the week. Finish in the top half of scoring and you receive NO STRIKES.

Once you get 3 strikes… You are eliminated!

Games: Chosen from ALL the games played in Season 12

Who Chooses the Games: The Top 4 Ranked remaining players will secretly submit a list of their Top 5 Games they want played (Week 1’s Games will be determined by players ranked 17-20). Starting with the Top ranked player I will compare lists submitted by the players, until I get a match. f there is no matched games after the Top 4 ranked players submit their lists, I will ask the Top Player for another list of 5 different games. I will keep asking the Top Players for lists until we get a match on the game(s) we will play.

This may take too long to get 3 Strikes: No, because the first couple of weeks will have 2 GAMES and 2 STRIKES per game for players finishing in the bottom half.

Winners: ONLY THE LAST REMAINING PLAYER will get to choose a game for Season 13!

The Winner will be Crowned the Paper Medal Winner! And will get to a choose a game for Season 13!

The 3 Strikes Tourney Starts at the end of Season 12!

• Like 4

This sounds like an awesome idea! It should give the underdogs a bit more of a fighting chance than previous years' bracket tournaments, where a random matchup against a vastly more skilled player was just an instant elimination sentence. It'll be fun to see how this new three strikes tournament plays out! :)

• Like 4

I think this is a much better format than the head-to-head matchups in the past.

I also like that games are selected by player choice rather than by random draw.

Questions:

How are games selected for Week #2 (and beyond)?  Do you just use the same lists submitted for Week #1 and remove the games selected for Week #1?  Or, do you get new lists?  If you get new lists, who provides them: The top 4 from the season, the top scores from Week #1, the players with the fewest strikes, or some other criteria?  (My vote is top scores from Week #1, then go to season results if you need a tie-breaker).

Can the same game be selected multiple weeks during the tournament or is it removed from the list after it's been played?  (My vote is no repeats).

How is gold/silver/bronze decided?  Fewest strikes?  Highest scores the last week?  Some other method?

If it's an odd number of players, do you get a strike if you're in the exact middle position?  For example, if it's 7 players, does 4th place get a strike?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kermit73 said:

I think this is a much better format than the head-to-head matchups in the past.

I also like that games are selected by player choice rather than by random draw.

Questions:

How are games selected for Week #2 (and beyond)?  Do you just use the same lists submitted for Week #1 and remove the games selected for Week #1?  Or, do you get new lists?  If you get new lists, who provides them: The top 4 from the season, the top scores from Week #1, the players with the fewest strikes, or some other criteria?  (My vote is top scores from Week #1, then go to season results if you need a tie-breaker).

Can the same game be selected multiple weeks during the tournament or is it removed from the list after it's been played?  (My vote is no repeats).

How is gold/silver/bronze decided?  Fewest strikes?  Highest scores the last week?  Some other method?

If it's an odd number of players, do you get a strike if you're in the exact middle position?  For example, if it's 7 players, does 4th place get a strike?

Answers to your Questions:

~We will not use the same lists from Week 1. We get new lists from Top remaining ranked players (I may go with your idea with top scores). I do want the regular season ranks to matter. It would be like 'home-field' advantage that sports teams get from having a great regular season. Finish high during regular season and you have a slight advantage during the Tourney. (I will decide before the tourney starts).

~ No Repeats

~ The Gold/Silver/Bronze awards will be decided by playing out the 3 strikes tourney until the very end. Last remaining player gets the gold. 2nd place gets silver and bronze for 3rd place. Paper is of course the winner of the Minor League.

~ If there is an odd number of players.... say 7 players, 4th place does NOT get a strike. This will ensure we can play until we have 1 overall winner.

Great questions!

Edited by Vocelli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Vocelli said:

~We will not use the same lists from Week 1. We get new lists from Top remaining ranked players (I may go with your idea with top scores). I do want the regular season ranks to matter. It would be like 'home-field' advantage that sports teams get from having a great regular season. Finish high during regular season and you have a slight advantage during the Tourney. (I will decide before the tourney starts).

I can think of two arguments for going with top scores:

1) I believe you mentioned there are two games Week #1, meaning that nobody can have three strikes after the first week.  If you go with season rankings, you're guaranteed to have the same group of players choosing games through at least the first two weeks.

2) Allowing this week's top scores to choose next week's game provides more incentive to finish in the top 4 rather than just the top 50%.  This could make things more competitive for those top spots in the early weeks.

With that said, I also like the notion of "home-field" advantage for finishing higher during the season, so I really don't have a strong opinion either way on this decision.

@kermit73

Of Note: The First week will have 2 games AND 2 strike per game. (Or at least that how I planned it for now). 

So we would lose players the first week of play. Unless something crazy would happen.

Still debating whether to go with High Scores or Ranks after week 1.

(And now I am debating whether to have 1 Game/1 strike per game starting week 2)

It would look like this:

Week 1: 2 Games and 2 Strikes per Game (Around 12 Players Left)

Week 2: 1 Games and 1 Strike per Game (Around 7 Players Left)

Week 3: 1 Game and 1 Strike per Game (Maybe 5 Players Left)

Week 4: 1 Game and 1 Strike per Game (4 Players Left)

All Guesses on my part.

Thoughts everyone.

All good Points. With a NEW game in place it is hard to tell how this will play out in real-time.

Final Decisions will be made by Match 31.

Edited by Vocelli

I have a couple additional thoughts/suggestions.

1. Regarding game selection, if there are no matches among the first five games selected by the top 4 players, request additional games from seeds 2-4 rather than the top seed.  If you ask the top seed to select additional games, you're guaranteeing that the selected game is on the top five lists for seeds 2-4, but ranked 6 or lower by the top seed.  If you ask seeds 2-4 for additional games, then you're picking games from the top seed's top 5 list.  You may want to just ask seeds 2-4 to provide 10 games up front to limit the back and forth PMs if there are no matches.
  2. Something I liked about the old bracket format was that the finals was two weeks and included three games.  I'm wondering if this new format could support a 2-week/3-game final round when we get down to four or fewer players.  The strikes could go away at this point (although they could be taken into consideration to seed the players) and Gold/Silver/Bronze are determined by top scores in the final.  This would allow more time to play the last set of games and could include more players the last couple weeks of the tournament.

@Kermit

~ 1) I will be matching Game Selections one at a time.... Game selection is not determined by what the Top Ranked player has in their Top 5. So the Top Ranked player may have 5 games listed that are not in any of the other players list... If the next ranked players procure a match then those are the game that will be played. I will look at all the #1 games chosen to find a match then the #2 games and so on. So, if this makes sense, the first 2 games played might not be on the #1 players list.... but the chances are better that it will if the #1 player matches other players picks. Hope that is not confusing but I ensure you that it will be fair to all and give an advantage to players ranked higher.

~2) I don't want a player who tried so hard to get no x's in the previous rounds all of a sudden to be equal to a player who is on the edge of getting 3 x's. Does that make sense?

Thanks for all the input

• Like 2