IGNORED

Should I expect any issues with a new in box 5200 trak-ball?

rennervision

I'm considering buying a 5200 trak-ball, but I remember having all the typical issues with the standard controllers when I first bought my system a few years ago.  I'm thinking about one that's been well preserved in its original box.  Just wondering if I should expect oxidation and other issues that are common with the joystick controller?  Will the Start/Pause/Reset buttons likely not work?  How about the keypad?  (Although I probably won't really be using that with the trak-ball games.)

I recently unpacked a new in box 5200 trakball and gave it a spin. 

I had a good bit of anxiety that it was going to be DOA after all these years, not just because of the age but the box also showed water damage. The interior contents looked free of water but I suspected humidity and moisture might have done damage.

But to my surprise it worked fantastic. All the rubber buttons were just fine and perfectly responsive, and the trakball spins and responds nicely.

That's no guarantee of course that the one you're looking at will work. But I think it is a good sign that the rubber buttons or contacts didn't deteriorate.

I highly recommend, just to be on the safe side, and to make absolutely sure that your investment works for a good long time, that you replace BOTH keypads and also the start/pause/reset cluster of buttons with those now-famous Best Electronics Lifetime Gold 5200 keypads, yup, the very same ones you would use with the stock joystick controllers. When I restored my Trak-Ball a few months ago, in which I have owned for almost 40 years (yup, got my first 5200 back in 1983 for my 17th Birthday so I am an OG gamer from back then), I cleaned all the contacts and the entire interior as she had 40 YEARS of dust inside her and hadn't been used in (what seemed like) decades, and yes, I also got two sets of Best Lifetime Gold keypad sets to be on the safe side, and they have not failed me since. That and also clean the ball-bearing rollers and the optics that make the Trak-Ball the legend that she is. That would be your best bet, especially with vintage goods like our Atari systems are (for the most part). Good Luck on you new-found love for retro-gaming, you'll be glad you picked a 5200, you have joined an (almost) exclusive club of those who have such an affection for Big Sexy!!!

One question about your console, is she a 4-port, or a 2-port unit??? 2-port units do work with the VCS adapter for playing 2600 games on top of the already awesome (and growing, over 400 titles) ports in the 5200 lineup,