IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

Wasn't the Amico solely Tommy's baby and project to get out to the public,not just the face and spokesman for it?

If he has been moved to the side how can it possibly exist?

His silence or temporary disappearance is pretty bizarre to me as he has defended it every single inch of the way.

Until maybe he can't do that anymore. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wolfy62 said:

Wasn't the Amico solely Tommy's baby and project to get out to the public,not just the face and spokesman for it?

His silence or temporary disappearance is pretty bizarre to me as he has defended it every single inch of the way.

If this is true then what you are buying is the salesman and not the product.

To me a product should be able to speak for itself. If it is something that encourages family gaming like never before I should be able to see it. Words are cheap unfortunately.

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The document attached to post #52.

The fact that this document doesn't mention any compensation for the first 1.5 years doesn't meant there wasn't any. But, ok, I'm flexible - I will do that too if in the next two years I can get nearly 200K and a heap of shares.

1 minute ago, MrBeefy said:

To me a product should be able to speak for itself. If it is something that encourages family gaming like never before I should be able to see it. Words are cheap unfortunately.

Well,I knew what I thought I was buying,which was the system because I am a hardcore Intellivision player and collector.

Anyone in here who has seen me posting in the Intellivision forums for the past 12 years or however long Atariage has been around knows that.

So I was sold on it instantly no matter who was going to make it.

Or not make it!?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

It does have truth to it... a good "pitch-man" sells product.  Tommy did a good job of it, and opened his life to many like I've never seen before.  His personal collection, his car, his office, his idea, everything...even his vacations... then *poof* gone.

So does the Amico die now?  That's to be seen.  Hard to believe that much went into it, production models, videos, all that we saw the past two years... for nothing.  Normally a "scam" is not this detailed.. but a poorly managed idea, no matter how good the idea is, would be.  Everyone gets in, gets their share and jumps ship like the Titanic sinking.

How many stocks have we seen do this over the past year.  GameStop anyone?

1 minute ago, wolfy62 said:

Well,I knew what I thought I was buying,which was the system because I am a hardcore Intellivision player and collector.

Anyone in here who has seen me posting in the Intellivision forums for the past 12 years or however long Atariage has been around knows that.

So I was sold on it instantly no matter who was going to make it.

Or not make it!?

Same here...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

The company has four founding partners and has since taken on other investors/shareholders. Prior to whatever deal is happening now, Tommy Tallarico was the largest but still a minority shareholder.  He could be outvoted by other board members.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The company has four founding partners and has since taken on other investors/shareholders. Prior to whatever deal is happening now, Tommy Tallarico was the largest but still a minority shareholder.  He could be outvoted by other board members.

I appreciate you explaining the particulars to me!

That helps my understanding of the situation much better.?

4 hours ago, youxia said:

This is a rose-tinted take; you're talking as if the crash has never happened :)  Yet it did, and for a set of reasons too. Some of them might've been different from today's problems but in general the scene wasn't all that different.

Sure I agree to that. But I myself never saw or interpreted it as a crash. A rapid re-organization of the market. The industry finding its way. A transition from consoles to computers. The industry's first attempt at purging the garbage. That's what I felt happened.

There were plenty of wild projects people don't even hear/remember about, stuff you only see when browsing some old mags and thinking "the hell was that about"?

Definitely yes. Thankfully most of these projects were buried in magazine sidebars. Not many had TV spots. And even fewer made it to even test markets.

But there were all sorts of experiments resulting in impractical and unusable software. IMHO that kind of stuff makes a bad image for whatever platform it's on. GUI never became popular on the Apple II, but they kept trying. The MouseText UI was rather successful - didn't need nearly as much CPU power.

I've never called Amico a scam myself, but there's no  way I could agree the current situation is all an innocent mistake and a result of being only an enthusiastic, well intentioned drive. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, allegedly.

Sure. It definitely didn't start out as a scam. But at time went on the waffling and direction shifting and the trying to incorporate too much tech overwhelmed the teams. Too much squirming left and right. Not being able to actually make something the market desires. They doubled down on their efforts and kept going at it. Blind to reality. And the result of that is what looks like a scam.

I'm sorry but people who boast magnificent resumes, target billions, and tell us on every step how qualified they are in all fields to complete such venture, need to be held accountable too.

This is why when I see "industry veterans" listed as being involved I put shields up. They're out of touch. They're old and senile. The conflict between reality and what they think the gamer wants is a big disconnect. And it gets even bigger when "retro" is involved. Cognitive dissonance arises when they get the notion they can shift or guide the industry with something earth shattering. Pfagghhh.

Like for example I don't wanna spend $100 on what amounts to a multi-screen side-scroller for the 2600. Just not interested at that price point. $25 - $30? Now I'm gonna take a look.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Maybe they will ditch the Amico and redesign/rebrand it as the Intellivision Prism!  Prism already has the TM done, and there is a website. 

http://intellivisionprism.com/defaultsite

Nick Richard's did hint at something sounding like a slim model.

They could file for bankruptcy, close down the Amico project and gut the console into the Prism. Remove the unnecessary extras like LEDs, RFID, fix the controllers since nothing seems to use them significantly that is actually complete. Then you have a much cheaper to make console. For games that absolutely have to have the screen make it a phone app required game.

Doing that would probably also be a way to get around the revenue sharing for Republic. If they really wanted to get something out that could potentially be a way to "save money".

4 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

They could file for bankruptcy, close down the Amico project and gut the console into the Prism. Remove the unnecessary extras like LEDs, RFID, fix the controllers since nothing seems to use them significantly that is actually complete. Then you have a much cheaper to make console. For games that absolutely have to have the screen make it a phone app required game.

Doing that would probably also be a way to get around the revenue sharing for Republic. If they really wanted to get something out that could potentially be a way to "save money".

A redesign/rename/rebranding and the requirement to pay revenue shares are just vanished?   What about the investors millions!  (10 to 17 million?)

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rev said:

A redesign/rename/rebranding and the requirement to pay revenue shares are just vanished?   What about the investors millions!  (10 to 17 million?)

The benefit of having multiple LLCs. Them moving to Delaware was probably prep for possible bankruptcy since it's a friendly state for that. California probably isn't as friendly to LLCs.

All the revenue sharing is for the Amico. If it gets a redesign and name it is no longer an Amico doesn't matter if all the same people are involved. Heck the Republic investors got nothing for the physical products because they aren't games.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I think the best move forward would be for someone to come in and acquire INTV, take the best games currently in development and port to other systems.   There are a couple of games I still want to play even if Amico never comes out. 

Ill take Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain on the Switch when they are finally completed! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Amico Shark Shark is an example of an action game that uses the controller display.  It uses it for game balancing among players.  More important than how the launch library games might use the controller touch screen, is the potential in future games.  The controller display allows for developers to create unique local multiplayer action-strategy games.  It would be sad to lose this distinguishing feature.  You can add phones as controllers to any system but developers typically want to develop for the default controller.

I could see a few years down the road a second Amico model, redesigned to be more inexpensive with only one Amico controller and no packin games.

23 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

The benefit of having multiple LLCs. Them moving to Delaware was probably prep for possible bankruptcy since it's a friendly state for that. California probably isn't as friendly to LLCs.

All the revenue sharing is for the Amico. If it gets a redesign and name it is no longer an Amico doesn't matter if all the same people are involved. Heck the Republic investors got nothing for the physical products because they aren't games.

The reincorporation in delaware was obviously in preparation of taking equity investment since it's what investors expect.

I don't see why the boxed game sales wouldn't count as Amico game sales for Republic Fig.  They are definitely game licenses. If they haven't then they will at some point.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

I don't see why the boxed game sales wouldn't count as Amico game sales for Republic Fig.  They are definitely game licenses. If they haven't then they will at some point.

Because they aren't games. It's trinkets with the promise you may get a game if the console ever releases.

Revenue shares are for game sales and console sales. Those tchotchkes are neither. Beauty of walking back from having physical games/media/product. It's a loophole. Even if games are released on other platforms that is also no longer an Amico game and wouldn't get any return.

At what point do you think they will get money?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

What is most important is where they will be a few months down the road, not years. 

This really is the thing. I don't think they could even do a slim model because that would require money to design it. They still have zero listings on FCC. So the options there are, they haven't passed, have no money to do it, or know they aren't releasing as is or have to redo something.

Did the SEC doc suggest July was how long they could last?

8 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

This really is the thing. I don't think they could even do a slim model because that would require money to design it. They still have zero listings on FCC. So the options there are, they haven't passed, have no money to do it, or know they aren't releasing as is or have to redo something.

Did the SEC doc suggest July was how long they could last?

Do they also need a UL safety approval?  Or is that part of FCC. I forget. 

On 3/18/2022 at 5:58 AM, youxia said:

Their latest fundraiser has raised 50k out of the 5 million target and got canceled early. Their moves seem increasingly desperate and ending a fundraiser two months early really indicates that they are so cash-starved even 50K would do. I am also not sure why would anybody want to buy them, unless at some really rock-bottom price to perhaps secure some trademarks.

But, hey, you can still buy the games for it! This is where it really gets a bit annoying. It might also lead to a possible world-first (?) situation where games exist without a hardware to play them on.

I know @Albert has asked for no more threads about Amico at the time, and if he wishes for this to continue then so be it, but I don't see why we shouldn't have at least one where it's possible to discuss this rather grim situation. It's not really about schadenfreude, though admittedly for people "haters" like me, who have been talking about warning signs since day one but got a lot of flak for it, it's hard not to feel at least a bit validated. But apart from that it's as part of the videogaming landscape as everything else, plus there are a lot of interested/involved parties on this forum too.

It's 100% about schadenfreude for most people that will end up posting in this thread. If Albert chooses to keep this thread will which inevitably devolve into the same back and forth garbage we saw before, it should at least be moved from the intellivision forums to the modern consoles forum and not pollute the inty section. If folks are still engaged for a console that is very likely done and done then they can go look it up there. 

• Like 1