IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

7 minutes ago, edintv said:

many starups fails with no intention to scam-

That's right; the majority of all for-profit companies cease to exist within 5 years of their founding. The ones that survive are the exceptions. I actually bailed out my own father's company by giving him like $10,000 about 5 years after he made his company to save him from going out of business.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

Why do any new modern console attempts have to be so complex and riddled with "online"? That my beef and only beef really. We have PC, XBOX, SWITCH, STEAM, and PS for modern AAA titles. That's enough. And add in GOG.

Fitting in all this wireless, NFT, cryptocrap, and "codes" stuff, just makes everything more expensive.

Edited by Keatah
add-in GOG!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Keatah said:

Why do any new modern console attempts have to be so complex and riddled with "online"? That my beef and only beef really. We have PC, XBOX, SWITCH, STEAM, and PS for modern AAA titles. That's enough.

Fitting in all this wireless, NFT, cryptocrap, and "codes" stuff, just makes everything more expensive.

Evercade is doing it right from what i see so far.  Physical cartridge collections. And as you say, no online, codes, NFT crap. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Why do any new modern console attempts have to be so complex and riddled with "online"? That my beef and only beef really. We have PC, XBOX, SWITCH, STEAM, and PS for modern AAA titles. That's enough.

You forgot the best one: GOG.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

It still sucks no matter how you shake it. Whoever the "blame" falls on (and I think it's counterproductive to spend too much time prognosticating on that issue), it started out as such a breath of fresh air for retrogamers and seemed like it had a ton of promise. Sad to see it likely become vaporware no matter the sequence of events - whatever "coulda woulda shoulda" been done differently.

I think future startups can learn a lot from the Amico project and how it was handled, especially to prevent making similar mistakes. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Evercade is doing it right from what i see so far.  Physical cartridge collections. And as you say, no online, codes, NFT crap. 

What I love about the Evercade is that it did that with no fuss or fanfare whatsoever. It came along, offered retro enthusiasts a good product, with carts and proper licensing. Job done. Then released a console in the same manner. They seemingly effortlessly did what Atari and Intellivision (as they are now) should have done if they weren't obsessed with making something to compete with Nintendo and it being online with all that BS that isn't neccessary... Unless you want it as a platform to sell MTX or your crypto currencies of course.

I really should get my finger out and buy an Evercade, I feel doing it right should be supported.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Because they aren't games. It's trinkets with the promise you may get a game if the console ever releases.

Revenue shares are for game sales and console sales. Those tchotchkes are neither. Beauty of walking back from having physical games/media/product. It's a loophole. Even if games are released on other platforms that is also no longer an Amico game and wouldn't get any return.

At what point do you think they will get money?

The sale of the boxed games includes the right to download a video game. If IE is using that to delay paying RepublicFig revenue share, it's only a delay not a loophole.  As far as revenue from Amico games on other systems, it's whatever the contract says.  That revenue is separate of revenue from games on the Amico system anyway.

8 hours ago, cmart604 said:

It's 100% about schadenfreude for most people that will end up posting in this thread.

To make this kind of statement you'd have to live in these people's heads, and since you don't, all you're doing with it is pointless antagonizing. So far we've managed 6 pages without any major flame up and I don't see why it shouldn't stay this way. Should this thread be moved? Maybe so, but for now anybody who really thinks it's "polluting" the INTV section can hit the "Ignore this topic" button at the top of the page and never see it again.

3 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I think future startups can learn a lot from the Amico project and how it was handled, especially to prevent making similar mistakes.

If there's one thing I've learned from watching various Kickstarter and other similar crowdfunding failures for more than a decade now, is that nobody ever learns from them. The lure of easy money with not many (if any) consequences for failure is just too strong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Rev said:

They have until June 14 to renew the Amico TM. 

49A0C1E2-D84A-4FA1-88C8-07B92B0A32D2.jpeg

As I mentioned in the forum at the time, the various Intellivision filings all illustrate a different status.

What you are showing is a note concerning NOA (notice of allowance).

In layman terms to progress to the status of "registered" in the U.S. it is a "use it or lose it" situation. At EUIPO, this is not the case. This is why you will see IR (International registration) for the Intellivision EUIPO filings.

This notice of allowance basically gives the option of submitting an SOU (statement of use) or requesting a 6 month extension in order to file said SOU. This extension is standard and almost automatically granted any applicant.

If you read all the documents you will see a different number of extensions based on the original filing. USPTO states they grant 5 extensions, so this process can extend for years.

The filing with the greatest number of filed extensions without supplying a statement of use is "Intellivision Amico" (as opposed to the one you illustrated).

In summary, all the filings seem to be as they have always been.

8 hours ago, Pink said:

That's a big reason why I think they're quietly headed towards bankruptcy and liquidating/having a fire sale versus having an angel investor that just happened to show up out of the blue to save the day right as their StartEngine campaign was falling flat.

Just want to add on to my previous post, this is purely speculation upon my behalf. None of us know for sure, and only time will tell as to what ends up happening after all of this is said & done.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

The sale of the boxed games includes the right to download a video game. If IE is using that to delay paying RepublicFig revenue share, it's only a delay not a loophole.  As far as revenue from Amico games on other systems, it's whatever the contract says.  That revenue is separate of revenue from games on the Amico system anyway.

Do you think the console is still coming out? If it doesn't there is no revenue. The Fig/Republic stuff says Amico hardware and software sales. If it's on other platforms that isn't Amico software.

37 minutes ago, youxia said:

If there's one thing I've learned from watching various Kickstarter and other similar crowdfunding failures for more than a decade now, is that nobody ever learns from them. The lure of easy money with not many (if any) consequences for failure is just too strong.

People giving the money need to learn to not jump all in too. Otherwise you will continue to have people asking for the easy money and hoping to cut corners. It's why I like things like Evercade. They are doing their thing and not asking you or me to make it happen for them. They had a plan and vision and did it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rev said:

This thread has the vibe of being at a funeral/wake. 

Well we are just kind of waiting. SEC prognosis wasn't good. Even if they are able to release it once they push it to $300 to $350 it's dead. For what they've shown it is still too expensive at $250. So I think we are at the point of they either go bankrupt, or release something and close up shop in a year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I thought I heard somewhere that they have at least manufactured enough consoles to ship to those first waves of pre-orders. (which would include me...lol)

Is that true or just wishful thinking on my part?

Nothing has been made. How can they, FCC/safety has not passed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, youxia said:

If there's one thing I've learned from watching various Kickstarter and other similar crowdfunding failures for more than a decade now, is that nobody ever learns from them.

Please tell me the executive team at Famigo has learned from the failures!!!!! :(

A little inside baseball here: if Amico DOES have a VC investor, it's incredibly likely that such investor will provide funds under a highly one-sided agreement that will, frankly, rob Peter to pay Paul. This is an obvious high risk investment at this point, and VC firms, while being risk tolerant, are also smart enough to get control of some sort in exchange. There's always an offset for taking on the risk of the money. Not saying that's nefarious on the part of the VC fund. That's how business in that world is done.

I can't see them taking on a contract with a VC fund and surviving. If they do get a cash injection, it will likely only be a band-aid and will probably cause other problems further down the road.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, juansolo said:

What I love about the Evercade is that it did that with no fuss or fanfare whatsoever. It came along, offered retro enthusiasts a good product, with carts and proper licensing. Job done. Then released a console in the same manner. They seemingly effortlessly did what Atari and Intellivision (as they are now) should have done if they weren't obsessed with making something to compete with Nintendo and it being online with all that BS that isn't neccessary... Unless you want it as a platform to sell MTX or your crypto currencies of course.

I really should get my finger out and buy an Evercade, I feel doing it right should be supported.

Atari SA, through AT games, has the Atari Flashback X.  Or you can get a collection of Atari games on Evercade or other systems.  Same old games but the collections on Evercade are smaller for whatever reason.  One of the casualties of IE acquiring the Intellivision properties is that the Intellivision Flashback was discontinued.  There is still demand for that type of device.

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Do you think the console is still coming out? If it doesn't there is no revenue. The Fig/Republic stuff says Amico hardware and software sales. If it's on other platforms that isn't Amico software.

Why do you say the Boxed games sales don't count for RepublicFig revenue sharing.  Do we know that's the case or is that speculation.  The amount right now is negligible anyway, and overall boxed sales would be expected to be small compared to digital store sales.

58 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Well we are just kind of waiting. SEC prognosis wasn't good. Even if they are able to release it once they push it to $300 to $350 it's dead. For what they've shown it is still too expensive at $250. So I think we are at the point of they either go bankrupt, or release something and close up shop in a year.

By SEC prognosis, if you mean the disclosure document at Startengine, it was written by Intellivision Entertainment not SEC. 

They've said before that $250 is the upper limit for the market, so they'll probably have to stick to that for the base model.

32 minutes ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I thought I heard somewhere that they have at least manufactured enough consoles to ship to those first waves of pre-orders. (which would include me...lol)

Is that true or just wishful thinking on my part?

You probably heard that they shifted their plan to a softlaunch with a small production run manufactured locally to fulfill the early preorders.  But there's been no word on production starting.

30 minutes ago, Rev said:

Nothing has been made. How can they, FCC/safety has not passed. 

Unlike FCC, I don't think we would know if they've done UL/CE/CSA safety certification or not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Atari SA, through AT games, has the Atari Flashback X.  Or you can get a collection of Atari games on Evercade or other systems.  Same old games but the collections on Evercade are smaller for whatever reason.  One of the casualties of IE acquiring the Intellivision properties is that the Intellivision Flashback was discontinued.  There is still demand for that type of device.

Why do you say the Boxed games sales don't count for RepublicFig revenue sharing.  Do we know that's the case or is that speculation.  The amount right now is negligible anyway, and overall boxed sales would be expected to be small compared to digital store sales.

By SEC prognosis, if you mean the disclosure document at Startengine, it was written by Intellivision Entertainment not SEC. 

They've said before that $250 is the upper limit for the market, so they'll probably have to stick to that for the base model.

You probably heard that they shifted their plan to a softlaunch with a small production run manufactured locally to fulfill the early preorders.  But there's been no word on production starting.

Unlike FCC, I don't think we would know if they've done UL/CE/CSA safety certification or not.

Do all these safety agencies also cover: Canada, Mexico, AU, and all the EU countries?

This whole thing was just a crazy roller coaster ride.  For all the hype, and hoopla... it's ridiculous that it all just vanished into thin air without a trace.  Videos of the shop, the staff ,meetings.. offices... but nothing to show for it.  Not even an relevant update.  Tommy flew the coup, and who knows what will even come of any of this.

I can't even imagine the lawsuits that will be flying all over the place if this really goes belly up.  Who's trying to recover money, what trademarks if any, who is owed money... etc.. etc.

Only time will tell.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rev said:

This thread has the vibe of being at a funeral/wake. 

I'm just here for the lonely widow.....I hope you didn't show up as my competition! 

On a positive note I just received my Gamestop preorder address verification notice.

The credit card I used I apparently no longer have.

Should I update my payment method so they are able to send me a refund if the system never comes out??

Screenshot_20220320-090158_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Edited by wolfy62
Added content
  • Haha 4

On 3/18/2022 at 7:41 PM, 5-11under said:

I'm getting confused (or people are confusing me)... I'm talking about the 8 boxes, basically... background color is light blue. Have people received those, are those also in the "hopes and dreams" category?

There you are:

7DC158BD-EB06-49A9-9523-F1E8FEC81D1B.thumb.jpeg.333b2354ad476990d32e9678c128b65c.jpeg

831035A1-E3C1-49DB-AC4B-19F59D05EF6D.thumb.jpeg.f11ea27318eb106a438a4f638eb11fd4.jpeg

I added an Intellivision cartridge to give you an idea of the actual size…

If I understand well, probably, I won’t ever be able to play them…??

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Rev said:

Do all these safety agencies also cover: Canada, Mexico, AU, and all the EU countries?

They'll probably use a pre-approved ac adapter, it should simplify things.

10 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

...On a positive note I just received my Gamestop preorder address verification notice.

Should I update my payment method so they are able to send me a refund if the system never comes out?

The note is asking to verify payment information.  Are they going to charge you for the remaining balance?

17 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

On a positive note I just received my Gamestop preorder address verification notice.

Should I update my payment method so they are able to send me a refund if the system never comes out??

Screenshot_20220320-090158_Yahoo Mail.jpg

29D561BD-B69C-41A6-A3AD-A84511AAC64E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6