IGNORED

Atari Flashback 11 Confirmed

SJD69

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple more postings for the product have popped up.  Unfortunately, the same artwork as on the site previously posted and I can't see a game list.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atari-Flashback-11/dp/B0B3S7VL9L

This listing says "stock in early January 2023".  Dang, missing the Christmas season?  I thought maybe they would show up at Sam's club for black Friday.

https://lostuniverse.com/products/atari-flashback-11

• Like 1

Looks like AtGames will be running with a pretty decent looking iteration/update of the Flashback for the Black Friday and onwards holiday season, a 50th Anniversary Edition with 130 games:

https://www.wards.com/p/atari-flashback-50th-anniversary-edition-798906.html

So far no listings on the bigger sites and nothing formally from AtGames, but this makes perfect sense. I bet it ends up in the Black Fridays circulars for places like Dollar General as well. Probably a decent entry in the series if interested.

Flashback50th.jpg

Edited by Mockduck
  • Like 1

I don't know why they don't just release a console with maybe 50 or so built in games, but with a cartridge slot and then sell "collections" on cartridge rather than a new and incompatible console every couple of years with a lots of duplicate games already included in multiple earlier flashback consoles.

They could release the cartridges as themed collections. Like have one be sports and another be space games, another arcade games and so on.  Lots of people will want all of the available collection carts.  They could make them look like authentic Atari carts for maximum nostalgia.

AND, if they don't include compatible paddle controllers, don't put the paddle games on them.  I have the FB 2 console and it has a super-secret hidden game, super breakout, but it included no paddles IIRC (though, to be fair, real paddles work well with the fb2)

Finally, last but not least, a 2600 on a chip.

Frankly, I don't see why anyone here would want one.  Computers serve as emulators just fine and most of us own the real hardware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, christo930 said:

rather than a new and incompatible console every couple of years

That's not how shovelware works.  Why sell something expandable when they can sell more consoles every year?  I thought it was a challenge to see how fast the landfills can reach maximum capacity right?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That's not how shovelware works.  Why sell something expandable when they can sell more consoles every year?  I thought it was a challenge to see how fast the landfills can reach maximum capacity right?

Well, presumably they can keep selling the console and new cartridges across multiple years.  But, unfortunately, once you buy the console, there are no new consoles to buy and that would be bad for business.  BUT, the cartridges could be a lot more profitable.  Maybe sell the cartridge package for like 29 Dollars. Yes, it's less money, but you are also getting a lot less.  A 1MB flash chip in the cartridge might cost a whole nickel. 

It's all one big grift.

2 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

It's literally the 10 or X Gold version.  That's it.  Gave it more games and done.  Give me your 80.00.  Slap the 50th anniversary crap all over the box and get it on the shelves.  

If Atari can sell 50.00 to 100.00 versions of Breakout repros, there are thirsty collectors out there!

Plus the paddles?

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 9:01 PM, christo930 said:

Well, presumably they can keep selling the console and new cartridges across multiple years.  But, unfortunately, once you buy the console, there are no new consoles to buy and that would be bad for business.  BUT, the cartridges could be a lot more profitable.

These things are not meant to be typical video game machines that you sell to typical video game players.  These are meant to be purchased as last-minute Christmas gifts, that your wife bought at the Walgreens on December 21st, because hey, don't you like all that Atari stuff?  And you've been a good little boy after all.  Or, hey, I've got to spend a week at my girlfriend's family's cottage.  Don't want to risk bringing any of my real video game stuff; let me grab one of those Flashbacks, so at least I'll have something.  Or, I'm some old Grandpa browsing around the Target and, look!  Frogger!  I remember that; used to play it down at the ol' roller rink back when Journey were on top of the charts.  We're babysitting little Timmy this weekend; won't it be fun to show him what games were like back in the good ol' days?

The point is not to sell all those same people a new console every year.  The point is to sell a new set of consoles to an entirely different set of people every year.  

• Like 4

I watched that video and thought cool.. a version 11. Nope. It's a 10 with gold switches (not sure about the gold switches). I would really like there to be a new version, maybe one that is larger with a cart slot? And instead of those stupid Tennis paddle games, why not the driving paddles with some driving games?

I was blown away by how much they want for that one. 100 dollars! So I searched around. You can get the non deluxe one for 79 dollars at Montgomery Wards online store. Here is the link. Even then, IDK...

https://www.wards.com/p/atari-flashback-50th-anniversary-edition-798906.html

• Like 1

I have many of the Flashback models in my collection. I'd like to get this one and add it to my collection but I will wait until after the holidays.

It's a hard pass for me with wards.com  ( Montgomery Ward ). ... even with a $16 promo discount... still not worth paying that much in my opinion.

No way. I refuse to buy it at these prices.   I will wait until they are deeply discounted.   

$21.98 for shipping and handling... what a laugh! 

•  

Select Shipping MethodView Shipping Chart

Standard: $19.99 + $1.99 Surcharge (Details)
(. 5-7 business days (14 maximum) .)
 Expedited: $32.98 + $1.99 Surcharge (Details)
(. Approximately 3-4 business days .)
 Express: $44.98 + $1.99 Surcharge (Details)
(. Approximately 2 business days .)

1. GET 20% OFF ALL TOYS! Enter code MW5402 at checkout. Hurry—sale ends 11/23. 

ApplyPromo Code

Applied 20% Off
Remove
Subtotal: $79.99
Order Discount: - $16.00
Shipping & Processing: $21.98
Estimated Tax: $4.00
Estimated Order Total: $90.97

• Like 1

I’m gobsmacked that MONTGOMERY WARDS is being used as a brand name in 2022, even online only. Seems fitting for an old timey Atari though. 

I’ll sit this out at those prices. I see no mention of an SD card slot for adding more games, which feels mandatory nowadays. 

I DO plan on buying the Atari 50th collection on Switch though, and then maybe I’ll finally quit chasing these retro recreations. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

I’m gobsmacked that MONTGOMERY WARDS is being used as a brand name in 2022, even online only. Seems fitting for an old timey Atari though. 

I’ll sit this out at those prices. I see no mention of an SD card slot for adding more games, which feels mandatory nowadays. 

I DO plan on buying the Atari 50th collection on Switch though, and then maybe I’ll finally quit chasing these retro recreations. 

There hasn't been an SD slot on a remote flashback in years.  SEGA's Genesis, Nintendo's NES/SNES, TG-16, Playstation, etc., none of them. 

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/303298-atari-flashback-x-custom-firmware-for-usb-roms-and-boxart/

This Atari FB can be modded fairly easily.  There's several threads on AA about it, you just need to use the micro-USB power slot, with a USB coupler to use a thumbdrive with it, although I recall you can fit the library on the console's storage.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 4:23 PM, MrTrust said:

These things are not meant to be typical video game machines that you sell to typical video game players.  These are meant to be purchased as last-minute Christmas gifts, that your wife bought at the Walgreens on December 21st, because hey, don't you like all that Atari stuff?  And you've been a good little boy after all.  Or, hey, I've got to spend a week at my girlfriend's family's cottage.  Don't want to risk bringing any of my real video game stuff; let me grab one of those Flashbacks, so at least I'll have something.  Or, I'm some old Grandpa browsing around the Target and, look!  Frogger!  I remember that; used to play it down at the ol' roller rink back when Journey were on top of the charts.  We're babysitting little Timmy this weekend; won't it be fun to show him what games were like back in the good ol' days?

The point is not to sell all those same people a new console every year.  The point is to sell a new set of consoles to an entirely different set of people every year.  

I agree! For anyone of those folks out there, I think this year's Flashback seems like it'd be a decent enough purchase, and with a few new Activision games like Robot Tank it's even better (although very slightly) than last year's. So, yeah, not for me, but seems like a decent enough one. Also unsure on that price, but hey, 2022.