IGNORED

Old A/V mod color issue

Dantaipan

I pulled out my 5200 which I haven’t touched in many years (generally use 800xl) and when testing noticed the colors seem off. Yellows look green. Check out Kong in Congo Bongo. This is running from an old AV mod I can’t even remember the name of through a retrotink. Chroma and Luma give the same result as composite. Any idea what the issue might be? Will probably open this up and have a look soon. Anyone know if there are adjustment pots on this board?

74CE4180-1823-4534-8DD5-2F1E990A052B.jpeg

AB1DE0E6-7A59-426C-BBCA-8A4F9D884012.jpeg

82B37FE3-C889-42D9-9B2D-0C08D5E7F35B.jpeg

D117B7B5-9A57-4642-A756-813F675C87F4.jpeg

Yes there is a trimmer wheel inside the 5200 to adjust the colors. It is located to the lower right hand side of the main board. Just remove the top shell cover and you will see it. There is a smaller trimmer that sits in that same area that is right next to the RF cable as it goes under the main board. Do NOT touch that one as that adjusts the pokey for controller adjustments.

5200_colortrim.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yes there is a trimmer wheel inside the 5200 to adjust the colors. It is located to the lower right hand side of the main board. Just remove the top shell cover and you will see it. There is a smaller trimmer that sits in that same area that is right next to the RF cable as it goes under the main board. Do NOT touch that one as that adjusts the pokey for controller adjustment.

Much better thanks.

B413B3CB-4CCC-45AC-92C3-B45B74037FC1.jpeg

FABE0D75-2D20-4731-9BF0-C35BDF4EA938.jpeg

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That is a retrokidz s-video upgrade. I've not got one myself but have replaced wiring on a few of these and redid the audio instead of relying on that terminal clip.

I have two 4-ports that are unmodded and in better shape than this unit. I am thinking about doing a power mod and UAV on one of those. It has been almost 20 years since I did anything with a 5200. Is that a good option these days?

2 hours ago, yodan said:

I have two 4-ports that are unmodded and in better shape than this unit. I am thinking about doing a power mod and UAV on one of those. It has been almost 20 years since I did anything with a 5200. Is that a good option these days?

Well there is the Sophia board upgrade to give you DVI RGB output. But if your are wanting s-video output on part with that older one (and it might be better in some ways), then yes the UAV is a good option for sure! The composite output on the 5200 is noisy though and the darn RAM on the left hand side causes it which, will manifest as large vertical bars in the image along the left hand side in composite output. That tends to vary from console to console on how visible they are and your AV setup that you run everything through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well there is the Sophia board upgrade to give you DVI RGB output.

Thanks, I am already on the wait list for one for my 800xl I just get the impression based on the length of that wait list + parts shortage that it is going to be years. Looking forward to it whenever it does happen.