IGNORED

Project Time! My Keyboard IC Pro chip arrived today!

ColecoGamer

It’s project time! The keyboard Pro chip I ordered for my IIc arrived today! After I get it installed, I will have a fully functioning keyboard on my IIc!

I am so excited to get this project on its way.

Wish me luck! Based on the research I’ve done (and from all the great responses I received on the subject, from the good people here), replacing the chip will fix my issue with the keyboard not working.

I love my IIe, but imho - nothing beats the sleek, compact design of the IIc. I plan on making the IIc my main Apple II computer, due to the limited space in my game room area. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question — after desoldering the bad Keyboard Decoder Chip from the motherboard, the trace underneath the chip lifted off the board. I don’t understand why. The trace was beneath the chip, not outside around the chip.

I didn’t leave the solder iron too long on the board either, so does anyone know what caused this to happen?

The trace came up with the chip. Could it have been age? Maybe from the chip malfunctioning and overheating? Regardless, I ordered some wire from Amazon, so I can bridge the damaged trace line.

Boy, this chip replacement has turned into quite the adventure! 

Edited by ColecoGamer

Not seeing the board it is hard to say but, "Trace came up with the chip" says to me that there was still a bit of solder there.  In future,  I would let the board and chip fully cool, then try to wiggle each pin in it's hole.  If it doesn't wiggle freely there is more to be done.

"Didn't leave the solder iron too long on the board" says to me that you don't have a temperature controlled vacuum desoldering station. If you do a lot of desoldering, bite the bullet and buy a desoldering station. They make life much easier.

Even so, things happen.  Perhaps the copper didn't have good adhesion to the substrate.

All you can do now is patch the trace (or run a jumper wire).

Good luck.  The IIc is a great computer. :)

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SIO2 said:

Not seeing the board it is hard to say but, "Trace came up with the chip" says to me that there was still a bit of solder there.  In future,  I would let the board and chip fully cool, then try to wiggle each pin in it's hole.  If it doesn't wiggle freely there is more to be done.

"Didn't leave the solder iron too long on the board" says to me that you don't have a temperature controlled vacuum desoldering station. If you do a lot of desoldering, bite the bullet and buy a desoldering station. They make life much easier.

Even so, things happen.  Perhaps the copper didn't have good adhesion to the substrate.

Thank you, I really appreciate the response. I agree with purchasing a desoldering station. 

The soldering iron comment was to say that I didn’t burn the board by misuse of the iron (thus overheating the area where the trace was located), but I agree with what you said completely. Clearly that one pin wasn’t fully desoldered for that trace to lift off the board. 

I plan on jumping the trace with the wire I ordered from Amazon. It’s situations like these that make me miss Radio Shack.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 2:59 PM, SIO2 said:

Old printed circuit boards can be delicate.

I have temperature controlled equipment, vacuum desoldering tools, and various fluxes to make desoldering old circuit boards easier.

Even with the utmost care, traces and pads can lift off of a board.

I've worked on boards that if you looked at them sideways the trace would lift off.

Edited by Baldrick
  • Like 2

On second thought (and on closer inspection), I’m not sure if this a lifted trace or something else?

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated!

717A2A56-A6D8-4CB9-AE6A-8DCF2445A7E9.thumb.jpeg.47d026af17184c25127beade00d5f8d4.jpeg717A2A56-A6D8-4CB9-AE6A-8DCF2445A7E9.thumb.jpeg.47d026af17184c25127beade00d5f8d4.jpeg

Edit: You can clearly see damage to the board from a prior user. I’m wondering if the Keyboard chip hadn’t been replaced prior to me removing it from the board.

Edited by ColecoGamer