IGNORED

Krull - Recreation of Arcade Game

saxmeister

On 5/1/2023 at 4:16 PM, saxmeister said:

Ouch, I was hoping that JS7800 was emulating more correctly. Especially since it was behaving the way I wanted it to behave. 

Oh well, back to the drawing board/GIMP. Thanks so much for the feedback, guys. It is ever so helpful, especially since my real 7800 isn't hooked up right now.

gameplay is more important than a titlecreen 😁

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Actual "Krull" related updates... I've finally started to get the hang of 320B mode a bit and I'm experimenting with that and seeing how much I can push things.

If you are a fan of the Krull arcade game then you know about the hidden Easter egg. As a (somewhat) purist I'm going to include the Reverend J.R. "Bob" Dobbs (thanks to Matt Householder and Chris Kubel). I will hide this in the game somewhere. I know the original had 64 Reverend Dobbs heads, but I'm sticking with 32 since I'm running the Atari 7800 at 320B mode with an almost full 320A background tiles and 32 sprites in 320B mode.

I would normally share a JS7800 link, but this ROM doesn't seem to work in JS7800, but works 100% in A7800.

bob_test02.78b.bin bob_test02.78b.a78

• Like 3

As I've been learning a bit more, I've been looking at ways of enhancing the home version. The biggest thing I was thinking of is dealing with a screen design that was made for a vertically oriented monitor, so it is taller than it is wide. Much like Pac-Man and many other games of that era, this is the exact opposite of home CRTs. Scrolling has been implemented to fix this, so I'm thinking that the levels may need to scroll to capture the full height of the original designs. Below is a mockup of how the screen could display only a partial map but allow scrolling to see the rest of the screen. This is a bit problematic because in 160 modes the screen is 80 pixels narrower than the arcade, but in 320 modes it is 80 pixels wider than the arcade.

Image #1: 160 modes - squished graphics, more colors, more CPU available (screen grab from JS7800)

Image #2: 320 mode with only 240 pixels used, arcade perfect ratio, fewer colors, a bit less CPU available (Mocked up in GIMP with original arcade graphics edited) 

Image #3: 320 modes - arcade perfect ratio, fewer colors, less CPU available (Mocked up in GIMP with original arcade graphics edited) 

I'm heavily leaning toward #2 and attempting to use 320C mode but I am worried about CPU cycles with that many objects on screen as well as music and sfx.

level01_mockup_160.png.7223c62221f14f759cf13e38806f299d.pngimage.png.013e3c9acf51fc2e02d1c38995ab4212.pnglevel01_mockup_320.png.b50c31cd9de9b241a367385d5f19fa6f.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, saxmeister said:

Image #2: 320 mode with only 240 pixels used, arcade perfect ratio, fewer colors, a bit less CPU available (Mocked up in GIMP with original arcade graphics edited) 

I'm heavily leaning toward #2 and attempting to use 320C mode but I am worried about CPU cycles with that many objects on screen as well as music and sfx.

image.png.013e3c9acf51fc2e02d1c38995ab4212.png

This, without a doubt! 

- orange color as background

- sprites (as tiles) for the second dark orange color and for the sea blue color in 320A - 1bpp

- rolling rocks in 320A - 1bpp

- trees composed of two sprites (green + black) in 320A - 1bpp

- others sprites in 320C - 2bpp

You should have all the cycles you need and you have 9 colors available in the same horizontal area.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's always fun to see what the community has cooking and this has been no exception.  Since your asking for opinions I'll give it to 2 as well.   Looks great.  Can't wait to play the benefit of all your hard work!  Hopefully it'll be concerto compatible ;)

Edited by Silver Back
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...