IGNORED

"Flip-screen" (non-scrolling) games similar to Gauntlet/Dark Chambers?

Pac-Lander

So, there are a lot of games that have been clones of the 1985 coin-op game "Gauntlet", which itself was based on the 1983 release "Dandy" on the Atari 8-bit line. 

However, both of these games (and many of their clones, including "Dark Chambers") were also 4-way scrolling games. 

Outside of the c64 and Spectrum ZX Spectrum version of "Dandy", which was a sort of screen-to-screen version of the Gauntlet, does anyone know of any game(s) (for any console or PC) that was similar to Gauntlet/Dark Chambers that did not scroll, and was instead flip-screen?

Dandy, c64:

Dandy_c64.png

Gauntlet 4, Sega Genesis:

846648615_Gauntlet4.thumb.png.49b255f8c4790dff74d3f511bd89b477.png

Dark Chambers, Atari 7800:

Dark Chambers _level.png

Dandy, Atari 8-bit:

14869916_Dandy_atari8-bit.thumb.gif.9c239ed7dd8a95247d7dfcee1082afe2.gif

16 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

Outside of the c64 version of "Dandy", which was a sort of screen-to-screen version of the Gauntlet, does anyone know of any game(s) (for any console or PC) that was similar to Gauntlet/Dark Chambers that did not scroll, and was instead screen-to-screen?

FWIW the general term for this type of game is "flip-screen." Here is a list of flip-screen games.

EDIT: Not sure if any of those would be considered similar to Gauntlet. That list contains many games that I am not familiar with.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

FWIW the general term for this type of game is "flip-screen." Here is a list of flip-screen games.

EDIT: Not sure if any of those would be considered similar to Gauntlet. That list contains many games that I am not familiar with.

Fixed! And thank you!

• Like 1

Rana Rama is a good shout, good but slightly odd game.

You could throw in Atic Atac maybe, but it's perhaps not quite fully in the Gauntlet format.

There are a lot of 8 bit flip screen screen games I'd think of as classics but they are perhaps more side view maze than top down maze. Feud, Sabre Wulf, 

Who Dares Wins II on the ZX Spectrum, played like a flip screen version of Commando.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TIX said:

I remember an ugly game I bought back then,  Mastertronic's  Storm  for the c64 !

also,

Astonishing Adventures of Mr Weems and the She Vampires

Ranarama

Oooh, I like what Ranarama is doing. There are some unique game mechanics there that separate it a bit from the others. 

44 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Rana Rama is a good shout, good but slightly odd game.

You could throw in Atic Atac maybe, but it's perhaps not quite fully in the Gauntlet format.

There are a lot of 8 bit flip screen screen games I'd think of as classics but they are perhaps more side view maze than top down maze. Feud, Sabre Wulf, 

Who Dares Wins II on the ZX Spectrum, played like a flip screen version of Commando.

Yeah, I agree. Atic Atic looks like a fun game, but without the mazes or hordes of enemies, I'd say it's much closer to the Underworld dungeons of the original NES Zelda. 

• Like 1